• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1630 Rotax engine

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I see BRP has a new engine putting out 300 HP. I wonder if this engine will make its way into the Scarab line up in the near future. I sure hope so!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 1630 Rotax ACE is a nice new engine with a "no maintenance" supercharger, and a ton of power. So much that SeaDoo had to redesign the pump to take advantage of the power without cavitation.

Now with all its plusses, there are some possible issues that may arise.

1. Poly cylinder liners.
2. Even more stress on the bigger issue of carbon seals
3. Bored and Stroked block and pistons on the old 1503 architecture.

To me the carbon seal issue is tops. These ski's are sinking without warning, and our boats have them too. Until there is a fix, I wont even look at a SeaDoo.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Cylinder liners of the Rotax 1630 ACE are plasma coated liners, which is the same process as currently used for JPS Rotax 250 engine.
That's the 1st time I'm hearing the carbon seal is an issue, this has been a reliable BRP design as far as I know.
Correct that a few years back there was an issue with some PWC, but that was induced by incorrect assembly process, not the design itself.

There is no such things as having enough power ... I want to try a Twing Rotax 1630 ACE ;-)

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@ScarabMike, look at thread date you are referring to, 2012.
The problem in question was related to an incorrect assembly process, not a design issue.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So is that a death sentence if you're on your ski going to Bimini in 2000 ft of water and begin to sink?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JetTech72 The thread is from 2012, but the problem persists. I purchased a 2014 RXPX 260 from Riva in Pompano Beach. Within 20 minutes of me rising the ski, it started to take in water from the bellows. Thank God I had a couple friends with me that got me out of the water, and towed my "new to me" ski back. They had no choice but to buy it back.

One of the riders in my group has a GTR 215 and went riding with us over at Fernandina Beach. We rode to Saint Augustine, and stopped to refulel, and lunch. While at the fuel dock, he ski started to take in water, and sunk. The engine was off, so they were able to salvage the ski, and repair it completely. His was a 2013 model.

The issues are still there, and they are not addressing it.

Dont get me wrong, the SVHO Yamaha engine has its issues with the timing chain breaking without notice, but its not an interference engine, and no catastrophic failure will occur. I rather be floating though. And the new Yamahas come with a bilge pump just in case you need it.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Here are some good videos about this new Rotax 1630ACE, can't wait to see that in a Jet boat.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not to hijack this thread but I have a 2011 GTX. Should I be worried about this? Is their something I can do?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BlacklimitedS look at the ski's bellows. Look in front of the end facing the engine. If you can shake it and it has play, the carbon seal is worn. You can also look for a black ring in line with the seal on the hull. This means there is wear.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great thanks for the nice pictures. I will check it out.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I see BRP has a new engine putting out 300 HP. I wonder if this engine will make its way into the Scarab line up in the near future. I sure hope so!
I'm already imagining a Red 255 Impulse with 600hp. That and this new iST electronic shift thing? I better start saving :p

Bry-n-Jess-165/HOI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Has anyone heard if the 1630ACE is going into any jet boats anytime soon ? Preferably Scarab :)

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
My Ski is a 2008 date of manufacture, first sale was 2009, first time in water with 0 hours was 2010. I'm the original owner with 100 hours. I'm good with my seal. that thread suggests old style, new style seals, and possible alignment issues. I can't really speak to that due to the age of my ski, don't know if it matters, but the user guide states not to run the engine more than 5 min out of water as the driveline seal has no cooling. I haven't looked at the new PWC's in a while, but my generation is really made not to sink due to the entire bow nose filled with molded styrofoam. My exact PWC is shown in the video, although his issue was a broken motor mount causing a leak with the driveline, you can see it really won't sink.

Capture.JPG

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I messaged Scarab and asked them if they plan on using the new engine in the up coming model years and they said they are happy with the performance of the current engine (1503 cc).
It doesn't sound like they plan on it anytime soon but I also don't expect them to reveal anything new they plan on doing. I would say they definitely should because performance is one of the only segments they seem to excel at in the jetboat market.

Last edited:

Dsalverda

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just keep bugging them about it. I also have emailed and voiced my opinion to get these new engines. I really hope for the 2017 year (fall 2016)

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I've heard the issue with using the 1630 ACE engine in the Scarab has to do with the lack of emission controls it has. Apparently BRP has so many emission points so there exempt from using such components as the catalytic converter in order to make 300 hp.