• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

'17 242 Limited S E-series -- Water filled clean-outs

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Was reading through an older post concerning water in the clean out ports and guys resealing the access panels on their boats. After reading the post and the many diverging discussions, I was still left with my question. Should I be concerned with the clean outs being partially or completely filled with water at the end of the day? Plugs rotate/remove relatively easily. I do not see any damage. I am constantly reaching down into flooded clean outs when I pull the plugs at the end of the day. I dry store the boat on the rack with them installed. Is the water getting pushed through poor sealing plugs? Seems the only logical conclusion since the upper deck is dry. Should I store the boat with the plugs out?

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a '17 240 with the same clean out plugs you have and it seems normal to have water in the tubes above them. I don't know where the water is coming from, but I figured there is a lot of pressure against them from underneath and even a slight leak will add up to a lot of water over the course of the day. As long as it's not getting inside the hull, I don't get too worried about it. As far as storage, I have my plugs out anytime the boat is not in the water. There is a way that you can lay the plugs on their side in the top of the tubes and still be able to easily close the hatch. Also, the plugs themselves can fill with water and laying them over on their side like this will allow them to drain out as well. The plugs are also held pretty securely in this position so they don't bounce around when I'm towing.

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the words. I wasn’t too worried until I read some of the posts. I’ll watch it and see what happens. From now on, I’ll store my boat w/the plugs out.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Same - my 2017 212x clean outs are full after a day on the water every time. There was a thread somewhere around here where someone proved that the water he was finding in the clean out tubes was being forced back up the clean out tray drain tube on hard stops. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I know when we are surfing a lot of water washes up over the hatch so some is coming from that as well at times. There has been a lot of discussion but most of us have landed on its not that big a deal. I also agree as others to store the plugs out. I also use some pool gasket lube on the clean out plugs to keep the seals clean and fresh - I know I'm not alone in that practice.

This is what I use but there are other brands out there.
https://www.amazon.com/4oz-Lube-Tube-Gasket-Lubricant/dp/B004VTGL9A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549425451&sr=8-2&keywords=pool+lube

Last edited:

JimmyB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Same here - 2018 242 always has water on them at end of day. Port seems to have more than stbd for some reason.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have videos (that I still need to upload) that show the water coming back up the drain on my AR190. This happens when coming off plane. Water does NOT wash over the upper deck unless loaded very heavily. I even hit reverse at 42mph attempting to stop/slow as much as possible and couldn't get water on the upper platform with 2 people and 3/4tank fuel.

I really need to get those uploaded........I'll try to get that done here soon.

*edit*.....went and looked for the videos. Filmed them around 7-14-18 and can't find them on any of my devices (laptop or phone) at the office. Going to have to check the archives at home tonight.

Also, should have mentioned, water does NOT get forced past the gaskets on the plugs that I could tell. At least not in an appreciable amount anyway.

Last edited: