• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

17 Mastercraft NXT22 or 2018 Yamaha 242 X

Mattkalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys Im having trouble making this decision. I am planning on buying a boat before the end of the year and cant decide which would fit my family better. I like the Runabout features on the Yamaha but the Surf wake looks weak.... I like the surf wake on the Mastercraft but does not seem near as comfortable to spend the day on as the Yamaha. I think in the end I will be happier with the Yamaha but feel like I may regret not buying the mastercraft for the wave. This will be our first boat so its hard to say how much time we will actually spend Surfing vs just pulling tubes and hanging out. Thanks in Advance.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha is certainly more versatile and uniquely well suited for those of us who boat is shallow water, at least on a regular basis. Yammies can also be taken out offshore if you feel adventurous, and are very light for the size - so trailer really well.

But - if you do not plan on cruising big water, do not worry about shallow water - that is not even a close - I would go with the MC. Especially if you could get that NXT (leftover 2017?) for about the same as 242X.

--

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had my heart set on upgrading to a dedicated wake boat this summer, even talked the wife into boat shopping but decided to keep our Yamaha. I shopped a bunch of wake boats that were around the same and even lower priced than the 242X that were surf ready from the dealer. I would definitely go for the NXT, but some other options are Supreme, Axis, Moomba, Tige R series and should be able to get into a Malibu 21 VLX. You will lose some interior space in the 21' boats, but you won't need to lay bags all over the place in order to get a surfable wake. The Malibu 21 VLX is one badass boat for the price.