• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

175 sport jet wont start

Joe k

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 1998 sugar sand tango with a 175 sport jet. All week I've started it once a day on the trailor to make sure it starts. Well to make long story short I put it in the water on the weekend and she spits and sputters for a little while and then stalled out and I couldn't get it to start back up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Joe k

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've pulled plugs and replaced hooked a hose to it and it started. I'm a lil nervous bout putting it in water and not starting again..... any suggestions on what to check next....
So I took it to the lake and dropped her in... as expected would not start. Only starts when hooked to a hose . Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated

Last edited:

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Only thing I can think of is a weak battery or starter getting bad, seen it on the 240's don't know if the 175 is any different or not. When the boat is in the water there is a load on it when cranking and these motors need strong voltage to start. The 240 needs to have above 8.5 volts while it's cranking or it won't fire , don't know if this is true of the 175 also or not. I have seen this exact behavior where it would start on trailer but not in water on my Mirage and my son's Tango [both 240's] , both times it was the battery.

Joe k

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
View attachment 79253View attachment 79253
Only thing I can think of is a weak battery or starter getting bad, seen it on the 240's don't know if the 175 is any different or not. When the boat is in the water there is a load on it when cranking and these motors need strong voltage to start. The 240 needs to have above 8.5 volts while it's cranking or it won't fire , don't know if this is true of the 175 also or not. I have seen this exact behavior where it would start on trailer but not in water on my Mirage and my son's Tango [both 240's] , both times it was the battery.
My starter is staring to act up... sometimes it wont ingage on first turn of key. But after that it usually kicks in

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
I'd first make sure the battery is good and fully charged and I'd check all connections from battery and starter for corrosion and tightness, after that I would suspect starter

Joe k

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you for all the advice I will check that before I change starter