• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1800 Challenger Siphon issue

Jim Bennin

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
This past weekend I noticed my bilge pump running more than usual. Upon opening the bilge area, I noticed water entering the space via the engine siphon hose at a low rate. It even flows while engine is stopped and kids are swimming and continues to flow. I can understand why it would run while engine is running, but while stopped and off??? Any ideas?

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
are you talking about the hose that connects to the jet pump? I had a 2001 1800 with the Mercury motor, and remember there being a siphon hose, but can't recall if there was a check valve inline. When the engine is running is there still water coming into the boat?

Jim Bennin

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
It does appear to flow when engine is running. Not sure on the check valve.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
On the Mercs at the high point of the siphon hose there will be a plastic connector, This connector has a tiny and I do mean tiny air hole in it, if this gets plugged water will siphon into the boat when stopped No check valve that I'm aware of

Jim Bennin

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
One other issue that may not be helping is that I believe my reverse gate is out of adjustment which sends a good sized plume of water towards any tubers or

Jim Bennin

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Just returned to the lake and it appears to have been running all week. The pump dumps water about every 10 to 20 minutes. Siphon end is still pushing water, how can this happen when nothing is running and its in shallow water? A bit baffled

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
If the siphon break [the small air hole] is plugged it can siphon water back into the boat once the motor is stopped because the pickup end of the siphon hose is in the lowest part of the hull below the water line . If nothing else just plug it off, its not really needed, just supposed to help get the last little bit of water out. When the boat is running the pump creates suction to drain water from the bilge when you shut the motor off it needs the air hole to break the siphon or it will just reverse its flow back into the boat

Last edited: