• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

'19 SX190 or '15 SX192?

kinoeye

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Narrowing in on a new SX190 when a lightly used (less than 50h) 2015 SX192 unexpectedly popped-up on my radar. I'm new to jet boats and Yamaha so wondering if folks have an opinion as to which way you would steer me. Some of my analysis:

- 190 will have a warranty, 192 will not
- 192 may have better performance and trim
- 190 has the articulating keel, I believe the 192 does not
- 192 is likely 15% less expensive to purchase
- Have read about timing chain and heat sink concerns on the 192
- Know and trust private party, not looking forward to dealing with dealer

Related, this forum has been invaluable in my research. Thank you!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Do you know if any mods were done to the SX192?

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
I’m not sure about the 192 but before purchasing my 2019 SX190 I looked at many used ones. For the most part all were great boats but after really taking everything into consideration in regards to price, condition and warranty. There was not as much of a difference for me to not go with the 2019. We absolutely love this boat and could not be happier with the purchase. I know the cost is more but we really love the color combo on the 19. Let me know if you have any questions about the boat I could answer for you. But here’s a little shot of how it looks in the water.
8AB21B53-64A2-4FA0-A3B8-37F301EA1542.jpeg

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My feelings are that if you are into water sports or want to pull tubes, you'll really appreciate the extra power of the 192. If you are just looking for a boat to cruise around in, you'll appreciate the fuel savings and expanded interior of the new '19s over the 192. Something else to consider if you haven't already, if your state is like mine, there is no sales tax on private party boat sales. The heat soak issue is really not a big deal to most. It will impact you more in the warmer climate zones. I never really noticed anything until somebody said something about it, and only then at the end of the summer when water temps were at their peak and after running hard pulling boarders. Had I not been able to get a very good deal on an upgraded intercooler and like to tinker, I never would have touched mine. As far as the timing chain goes, it is a slight gamble, but the odds are heavily in your favor that you would never have an issue.

Good luck with your purchase!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@kinoeye Where do you live? Is this your first boat? What's your goal with this boat? How long do you plan on keeping it?
Sorry to be nosy, but these questions will help in your decision.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
They did a nice job on the new 190s and you will appreciate the steering with that keel.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
They did a nice job on the new 190s and you will appreciate the steering with that keel.
I wish they had that when I bought mine. Putting the Cobra fins on fixed that.

There's a lot to be had with your first "practice" boat. ;)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Narrowing in on a new SX190 when a lightly used (less than 50h) 2015 SX192 unexpectedly popped-up on my radar. I'm new to jet boats and Yamaha so wondering if folks have an opinion as to which way you would steer me. Some of my analysis:

- 190 will have a warranty, 192 will not
- 192 may have better performance and trim
- 190 has the articulating keel, I believe the 192 does not
- 192 is likely 15% less expensive to purchase
- Have read about timing chain and heat sink concerns on the 192
- Know and trust private party, not looking forward to dealing with dealer

Related, this forum has been invaluable in my research. Thank you!
If you are talking about the new/redesigned 2019 190 - that is a very different boat, with redesigned cockpit and pump.
Heat soak is a relatively easy fix, TC - not so much, albeit it is very rare to fail in boats.
If you boat at elevation (high altitude) a supercharger would be a huge plus.

--

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I would do the 192. Steering you can improve with add ons, supercharger not so much.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would go with the 190 and have new 19. In all honesty get the AR190 your never going to wish you didn’t have the tower. Plus it will help resale value.

Last edited:

kinoeye

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@kinoeye Where do you live? Is this your first boat? What's your goal with this boat? How long do you plan on keeping it?
We'll use the boat on a lake in New Hampshire. It will be my first boat but used with a family who's been boating for decades. Goal is to tube, ski and and take evening cruises. It's a small lake and we have a place on the water, so won't ever be 15m from our dock.

kinoeye

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I've seen that and it is appealing. It appears that you can buy plenty of aftermarket fins and thrusters for the older models but I don't have a sense if they add much.

kinoeye

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are talking about the new/redesigned 2019 190 - that is a very different boat, with redesigned cockpit and pump.
Heat soak is a relatively easy fix, TC - not so much, albeit it is very rare to fail in boats.
If you boat at elevation (high altitude) a supercharger would be a huge plus.

--
Yes, thinking of a 2019. All the the design changes are great I'm sure. Is it that much different of a boat though? Looks like evolution more than revolution.

kinoeye

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Suppose the AR190 would make more sense given we do plan to tow a lot. Good advice.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get one with a tower. There are so many hidden benefits beyond just the watersports tow point.

-somewhere to hold when docked that doesn't require stooping.
-place to hang towels to dry
-bimini is off the gunwales and attached to tower only.
-anchor light is on tower instead of stern
-place to mount speakers to easily get sound behind the boat when at anchor and hanging out on the awesome swim platform.
-looks awesome
-place to sleep in a hammock under the Bimini.

We got it for the watersports. We'll never have a boat without one now.

We went with a new boat over a used one. Financing was better on new and the payment was about the same. Might as well have some warranty with the payment right?

Supercharger or not is a different question. We're plenty happy without one and have enjoyed the added range and use of lower octane fuel. Plenty of power for tubing/boarding even with a heavy load. Not going to win any drag races on the water, but, well, that's not what I bought it for.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Get one with a tower. There are so many hidden benefits beyond just the watersports tow point.
I second the tower and also feel I do not want another boat with out one. Everything @2kwik4u is true plus it a great spot to place flags/holders and board racks! They also help to keep you in shape! Pull-ups ;)

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I second the tower and also feel I do not want another boat with out one. Everything @2kwik4u is true plus it a great spot to place flags/holders and board racks! They also help to keep you in shape! Pull-ups ;)
I third that. Resale will also be much easier. I would be willing to bet that the majority of these boats sold in the 19ft class are to people with some kind of watersports in mind.

kinoeye

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We took a trip to the Yamaha dealer today and I was swayed by the 2019 redesign for the 19' boats. The extra few inches, J seating layout and revised keel seem to be marked improvements for the series. After talking with the dealer on how we plan to use the boat, I'm definitely leaning more toward an AR in the series. Favoring the AR195 now. How slippery is this slope!?!?

09kawi438

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I been looking at 2016 192 at my my local dealer.. 112 hrs on it. Is that high hours for this year. It has y.e.s warranty intill March ofn2021 . They will.winterize keep it stored for winter. Do covers and life vests anchors and water demo in the spring. After 2500 down loan will be about 2300something. This will be my 1st boat . I live in ct where u can only run 5 to 6 months a year. I will want to pull tubes and possible wake boards ( I dont know how well It will pull a board do to no high tow anchor point . Idk if it's a good deal or not. ( sorry for jumping on ur thread but when there was one that had to do with what I was looking for I did to want someone to say there threads that had info in thm)