• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195 cold start issues

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many of you have cold start issues on your 195 and how many dont?
I've got a 2022 195 and the very first time I fired it up took 8 times until it would stay running. The idle is super erratic also bouncing around from 600rpm up to 1400 only when the engine is hot does the idle settle down. Maiden voyage took 7 times starting before it would stay running. This cant be normal. Air temp was 80 degrees when I took it out sunday. I've talked to many pwc guys who say they dont have the issue with the svho. I'm going to check coil plugs and oil level but I dont think thats the issue. I put stabalizer in it and fresh 91, didnt help.

natty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got a 2019 and it starts up first time, every time. Wish I had better advice but you're trying all the right things I can think of. With it being so new I would take it in for a checkup.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Bad fuel or leaky fuel rails? Could be something got sucked up into the fuel filter. In any event, with a brand new boat I'd take it in for service. Shouldn't have an issue like this. Our 21' FSH 195 has been rock solid...no issues cold startingh...always starts right up. Using non-ethenol premium fuel with Yamaha fuel Medic additive.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Should not be that kind of a problem on such a new boat. It seems Yamaha is vary hard on plugs. Anything you described is no where near NORMAL.

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
No issues here. When cold my svho idle will fluctuate just a bit, like 100 rpm, right after ignition and for about 30 seconds until it finds a steady idle.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How many of you have cold start issues on your 195 and how many dont?
I've got a 2022 195 and the very first time I fired it up took 8 times until it would stay running. The idle is super erratic also bouncing around from 600rpm up to 1400 only when the engine is hot does the idle settle down. Maiden voyage took 7 times starting before it would stay running. This cant be normal. Air temp was 80 degrees when I took it out sunday. I've talked to many pwc guys who say they dont have the issue with the svho. I'm going to check coil plugs and oil level but I dont think thats the issue. I put stabalizer in it and fresh 91, didnt help.
Recently I took a trip and the only fuel available was 87 ethanol fuel at the dock, ran that fuel for a week. I noticed then at a lower altitude that it was taking too many attempts to fire the engines. When I got back home at higher altitude it was taking 6-8 attempts to get the engines started. I usually run 86 octane (what the manual calls for) non ethanol fuel and never have any issues starting, maybe 1-2 tries to get things going. If I’m running the boat daily both engines start on the first try.

Make sure your boat calls for 91 octane, if not run the octane the manual tells you to, and run non ethanol fuel if possible.

Also, go through all of the connections in the engine bay and make all the plugs are fully seated or clipped together.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2018 195 here. I may have to try a 2nd attempt if starting it in the winter below 32 but even that’s rare.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
could be water in the fuel or stale fuel

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One other thing that could be a problem is the neutral switch, try moving the throttle lever a bit back and forth and see if it helps I did have one that was a problem occasionally If it did not fire up I would move the throttle, return it to neutral and try again

Willabeast240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2022 AR195 takes 7-8 turns before firing up and does the exact same thing hunting around the rpms. It fired up first try at the dealership before I left but so far both times I’ve started in the water it takes multiple tries. Guess I’ll be calling my dealership.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Odd that it does not do it on the trailer the main difference is the exhaust back pressure so I wonder if there is too much water in the water box "MUFFLER" I would be starting the engine on the trailer before putting it in the water and letting it run 10 seconds , then put it in the water and see if it starts right up, and later when you start it in the water during use if it continues to be difficult to start I would be looking into the back pressure situation caused if there is too much water in the muffler. This actually happens to the low side engine when wake surfing with a twin engine boat because the lower sitting engine has more backpressure on the exhaust due to being lower under the water. One more thing to investigate if it is a common issue with these boats and it is not the fuel etc.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Speaking of pressure have you removed plugs they will give you the overall health of the engine and if SOMEONE at the factory left a spark plug or plugs loose CYL PRESSURE will be a problem.

Also a erratic idle is a pressure problem somewhere......... like Cobra jets post.....also an erratic idle is a timing problem I would take a peak at the cam position sensor and like Cobra says being in the water changes the pressure and changes the load both will affect a failing timing sensor.

Last edited:

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
'17 AR195 here ... has done it since day 1 ... doesn't matter if it is on the trailer or in the water. It does not like a cold start. It will turn over about 5 or 6 times before it fires up. It will have a low and rough idle to it for about 2-3 seconds, then dies. Most of the time it will fire right up and idle fine on the second start (once in a great while it will die). But after that it's all good. Once the engine is going, no more issues the rest of the day. Annual tune-ups, change of plugs, etc. ... nothing has made it any better. After 5 years of ownership, I've just learned to live with it.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Modern EFI system is designed to run/start quick.......... (if not) its not operating properly as designed. My gut tells me as other owners start fine and a few like yourself start hard I thinking Fuel/Air is the problem not ignition side(cant completely rule it out )hears why on yours a big clue is your hard start is a problem but once started the 600 to 1400 rpm search could be a second issue. When you turn the key to on.....the fuel pump turns on building pressure....then turns off(nice safety feature) at that same time the air temp sensor tells the ECM computer cold/hot start(which fuel map to use) we use to call it choke, less air more fuel. So as you can see just 2 things pump pressure/air temp could be a problem along with a hand full of others.

EMC computer, TPS(throttle position sensor) intake temp sensor, Intake pressure sensor(MAP as I know it) ETV(electronic valve relay) and the ET VALVE itself its the throttle valve that lets more air into engine.............ALL these have to play nice and precise to allow a quick start and smooth idle.

On your new boat under warranty if you can wait to season end let dealer and his computer do a number on her..........but yes its not normal to hard start or search for idle. Hope this helps a little.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Modern EFI system is designed to run/start quick.......... (if not) its not operating properly as designed. My gut tells me as other owners start fine and a few like yourself start hard I thinking Fuel/Air is the problem not ignition side(cant completely rule it out )hears why on yours a big clue is your hard start is a problem but once started the 600 to 1400 rpm search could be a second issue. When you turn the key to on.....the fuel pump turns on building pressure....then turns off(nice safety feature) at that same time the air temp sensor tells the ECM computer cold/hot start(which fuel map to use) we use to call it choke, less air more fuel. So as you can see just 2 things pump pressure/air temp could be a problem along with a hand full of others.

EMC computer, TPS(throttle position sensor) intake temp sensor, Intake pressure sensor(MAP as I know it) ETV(electronic valve relay) and the ET VALVE itself its the throttle valve that lets more air into engine.............ALL these have to play nice and precise to allow a quick start and smooth idle.

On your new boat under warranty if you can wait to season end let dealer and his computer do a number on her..........but yes its not normal to hard start or search for idle. Hope this helps a little.
I agree with your post, however I have had similar issues with an open loop EFI system on my dirt bikes. When the engine was running previously, the existing conditions within the 3D map of the ECU had set a certain point if you will based on the sensor(s) input at the time it was running. If those conditions were different the next time the engine is started there could be an issue with the next cold start. That has been my experience with open loop EFI systems.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My boat has the naturally aspirated 1.8 engines and I had a starting issue with the starboard engine at first, cold or warm it would take a few attempts to start but randomly, sometimes firing right up. After checking the cutoff switches under the cleanout hatch by taping a dime to the hatch lid, I believed the starboard switch wasn't fully engaging when the hatch was closed. I adjusted it up a couple of turns of the locknut and no further starting issues - starts first time every time, warm or cold. Might not be your issue, but something simple to check.

Atadventures

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m in New Hampshire and fish when it is pretty damn cold out like low 40 degrees f. Sometimes when it is that cold the engine will start first turn over, but quickly stall out. It may take a try or two and then it finds its stride and idles smoothly.

Above 65 degrees it has no issues at all.

My boat is a 2021 195 FSH.