• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195s / ar195 19ft boat surf setup and tips

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wanted to start a thread for those of us with the 19ft single engine boats to dial in their wakes for surfing.
Would be great to collaborate on some ideas and what works. Please post your successes and failures. Love to learn!

One of my favorite things is watching the $125k + dedicated surf boat owners watch in amazement when our little $40k + a few upgrades boats roll by ropeless with great sound and a good wave (maybe not a Supra size wave). Even still - It’s like finding that $15 bottle of wine that tastes like $150 😎.
C691D663-1810-4CAF-8EC2-B75374156538.jpeg08E85734-B8D3-403C-98DA-22AA52AA564D.jpeg

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Above setup - 650lb transom fatsac + driver and 2 passengers 350lb.

considering adding a cube fatsac and wake enhancer… but the wave really isn’t that dirty on the single engine so not sure the enhancer is worth it.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
amazing what the single engine can do. Ill say i think they at times make a better and cleaner wave than the twin motors and 21-24-25ft boats

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
amazing what the single engine can do. Ill say i think they at times make a better and cleaner wave than the twin motors and 21-24-25ft boats
Ive never surfed the 21-24-25, only seen pics. The waves look a bit dirty, but maybe bigger? Only other boat I’ve surfed was a Supra.

Coolbreeze704

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have a AR 195 arriving sometime this fall. My sons will be surfing so I have a keen interest in this topic. Will be actively watching as it progresses.
Thanks
Bruce

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a AR 195 arriving sometime this fall. My sons will be surfing so I have a keen interest in this topic. Will be actively watching as it progresses.
Thanks
Bruce
I have done some digging in the forums and found a few tips here and there. But can’t find the treads any more. Wonder if there is a way to forward some of those to this thread.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is the best setup I found to go ropeless on my 2019 AR195 for two seasons now:

650 Gantlin bag on transom, surf-side or centered*
200 cube surf-side on rear seat
200 cube on bow floor
Yamaha Wakebooster installed
About 9.7 mph on Ridesteady GPS
Slingshot Coaster 5’3” board
One adult driver and two kids in boat

I am able to consistently go ropeless all day long using this setup. Of course, the pocket is relatively small for an adult rider but that's par for the course with these 19' boats. For kids/teens it's a pretty great size.

From my perspective, the 650 transom bag and GPS speed control are CRITICAL if you want to surf on the 19' boat. Yes they cost, but in my opinion are necessary for consistent performance. Beyond that, the Wakebooster kit is very welcome also to clean up that wake. Remember - this 19' boat was not designed to surf so it takes some effort to get the results you want.

Side note - I do have the Thrust Vector "Wake" product installed, but I honestly don't feel it has much effect on the surf wave. I mostly have it for slow speed control and to cut down on the jet spray for tubing, where is sometimes effective depending on how choppy the lake conditions are.

*If I need to adjust for regular vs goofy riders, then I will locate the big bag centered on the transom. When we need to adjust for regular or goofy, we just empty and move the one 200 cube that's on the rear seat to the other side. It's (reasonably) fast enough to do and gives all riders generally equal ballast.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Probably a stupid question.........

Has anyone run DUAL wakeboosters? One on each side?

I really feel like this added weight of displacement can be solved with a "reverse" hydrofoil at some level. Saw something similar on an Axis years ago and am still unsure why it hasn't been adapted to general transom mounting for the masses. Nevermind this part. Malibu has a patent on it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
*If I need to adjust for regular vs goofy riders, then I will locate the big bag centered on the transom. When we need to adjust for regular or goofy, we just empty and move the one 200 cube that's on the rear seat to the other side. It's (reasonably) fast enough to do and gives all riders generally equal ballast.
If you have all the ballast on the "center" of the boat, could a good rider go from one side of the boat to the other and ride "both sides" of the wake?

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Jet Boat Pilot recently posted this:

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you have all the ballast on the "center" of the boat, could a good rider go from one side of the boat to the other and ride "both sides" of the wake?
Possibly, but it's not really fun. I did that one time this summer just to try it out. The wave on the Wakebooster side is clean, while the other side is messy. And the center wake is just a hot mess to get through with the jet wash. At least in my (limited) experience, it definitely wasn't like some of the videos you see with dedicated wake boats where the rider can cross over and enjoy themselves.

Last edited:

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Jet Boat Pilot recently posted this:
Watching the video, it appears that his setup is basically the same as mine. He put a little more weight on the rear seat locker and a little less in the bow, but same positions.

I wonder how easily an AR190 can pull a surfer out of the water with 1200lbs of ballast on board, plus adult crew? I know that my AR195 does it with more horsepower and a larger pump, but even then the engine bogs a bit at the initial launch when pulling a 190-220lb adult surfer out of the water. I personally feel this amount of total weight in the boat is near the limit.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Watching the video, it appears that his setup is basically the same as mine. He put a little more weight on the rear seat locker and a little less in the bow, but same positions.

I wonder how easily an AR190 can pull a surfer out of the water with 1200lbs of ballast on board, plus adult crew? I know that my AR195 does it with more horsepower and a larger pump, but even then the engine bogs a bit at the initial launch when pulling a 190-220lb adult surfer out of the water. I personally feel this amount of total weight in the boat is near the limit.
It would do it, but it won't be fast about it.

I've done a deep water start on a wakeskate with 7 adults in the boat and me on the rope with a 190. Probably similar weight to your ballasted setup. I had to get to a full 18-ish mph to get the skate to ride well, I would think it could manage 10-11mph as well.

You anywhere near Louisville, KY? We can find out in a hurry :D

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It would do it, but it won't be fast about it.

I've done a deep water start on a wakeskate with 7 adults in the boat and me on the rope with a 190. Probably similar weight to your ballasted setup. I had to get to a full 18-ish mph to get the skate to ride well, I would think it could manage 10-11mph as well.

You anywhere near Louisville, KY? We can find out in a hurry :D
Sort of but not really - I'm near Cleveland, OH.

I assume for experienced surfers it wouldn't be too much of a problem, but for people just starting out I think it would be a struggle to get up. Even then I get tired out pretty quick in the water when fighting a slow start. It may be fine, was just curious if anyone had real world experiences to share.

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Sort of but not really - I'm near Cleveland, OH.

I assume for experienced surfers it wouldn't be too much of a problem, but for people just starting out I think it would be a struggle to get up. Even then I get tired out pretty quick in the water when fighting a slow start. It may be fine, was just curious if anyone had real world experiences to share.
Here we go Brownies...Here we go!

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Probably a stupid question.........

Has anyone run DUAL wakeboosters? One on each side?

I really feel like this added weight of displacement can be solved with a "reverse" hydrofoil at some level. Saw something similar on an Axis years ago and am still unsure why it hasn't been adapted to general transom mounting for the masses. Nevermind this part. Malibu has a patent on it.

Interesting- I saw that idea last year somewhere in the forums, but I don’t believe they found someone near them with an extra to try it. I did find a video where someone enhanced their wake on a Yamaha jetski by placing a wedge directly on the bottom below the jet nozzle skid plate. Wouldn’t work on our boats but maybe on one side or the other. That might work similar to the Wakesetter mechanics.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
This is my original post from July. Going to add a 370 lb sack to the ski locker and 3 50 water bags to the bow. Since the post I began an audio upgrade, second battery, amps etc. It was listing slightly to port so I put 50l lb lead bags in the rear star board compartment to balance it out. I ride goofy so looking for a set up that suits both rider styles without having to move a lot everything form one surfside to the other.
1st Time Wake Surfing | JetBoaters.net - The World's Largest Jet Boat Forum!

josh_h25

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I surf my 195 with 725# FatSac on surfside swim deck. I chose the 725 over the 650 so that I don’t have to put any ballast in the seats and people can sit there instead. Also have 370# bag in the ski locker. I feel that much weight toward the front of the boat is enough to keep the bow down while adding to the overall displacement and keeping the FatSac hidden and out of the way. My main thing was getting the boat surfable without having a bunch of ballast taking up all the room inside the boat. Also perfect pass at 10mph works for us. No wakebooster because I don’t think it will make $1200 worth of difference.