• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1975 Corvette - 1990 midlife crisis

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our C3 Corvette was my father in laws mid life crisis car. Big Jim bought the car in 1990, supposedly without discussing with my mother in law. He drove the car some, but the real beneficiary of the car was my wife Tara. She got to drive the car as a teenager, her Dad had no problem flipping her the keys and letting her enjoy the car.

It took a few road trips to College but didn’t get a lot of use after Tara was at school. One day, Jim parked it in a barn and there it sat for 20+ years.

A few years ago Big Jim gifted the car to Tara and we received the title in the mail. We sat with the title for about four years as we prioritized spending elsewhere. Now we’ve decided to start work and get the car back on the road again.
My wife and I are new owners of her Dad’s 1975 Corvette. It’s sat in a barn for the past 18 years.

Currently, the car is with a friend, Clint Coffman, getting the basics ironed out. Running and safe first. Then moving forward with interior redo.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Radiator support and frame replaced. Waiting for carpet to be replaced. We are so looking forward to getting her running and on the road!

Corvette forum not nearly as cool as this one.... any support / guidance appreciated.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotta get up some pics man.
I love vettes. I have had 2 in the past, a 77 and an 82 limited edition. Next one i would buy is a 72 (last with the 2 chrome bumpers)
No time or space currently for another project. Lol...

Just saw the pics. My bad

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Posted some pics. The car is currently with Coffman Corvette in Mansfield, Ohio.

They specialize in parts fabrication, but Clint is covering resto work for me.

so far:
Transmission serviced
Brakes replaced all corners including lines
Fuel lines replaced
Carpet and door panels ordered
Paint for rear fiberglass bumper ordered

pending:
Shocks & rear spring
Tires
Door panels
Tires

Squirts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love a good build thread! Keep it going, lots of pics!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a an ‘03 Convertible, my wife calls it my mid life crisis car but I call it crisis averted. It’s the best looking car I’ve ever owned it’s also the most impractical and therefore least used so it’s on sale now via Craigslist SF Bay Area but that is another story.

@mark_m , it sounds like the shop you are using has the replacement parts aspect of your rebuild covered but if you don’t already know vettenuts.net may have some of the harder to find oem parts (e.g. I bought a visor and interior fastener/screw covers from them) and corvettemods.com has a lot of newer aftermarket parts and mods (I bought things like a custom dual cup holder and a spring to assist with lifting the trunk lid from them, they also have a lot of carbon fiber and custom colored interior parts).

My best friend in high school had a father who was a corvette fanatic as in he was the president of local corvette club for a few years. I watched as he rebuilt a totaled corvette (junk yard find not barn find) over the course of three years, what a thing to see. Good luck with your rebuild, I look forward to seeing more before and after pics.

3A99542C-44A0-4157-89E1-1FC4A5805F67.png 6FF604D5-24D8-4615-A5E3-63F9B19BEDF9.png

Last edited:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a an ‘03 Convertible, my wife calls it my mid life crisis car but I call it crisis averted. It’s the best looking car I’ve ever owned it’s also the most impractical and therefore least used so it’s on sale now via Craigslist SF Bay Area but that is another story.

@mark_m , it sounds like the shop you are using has the replacement parts aspect of your rebuild covered but if you don’t already know vettenuts.net may have some of the harder to find oem parts (e.g. I bought a visor and interior fastener/screw covers from them) and corvettemods.com has a lot of newer aftermarket parts and mods (I bought things like a custom dual cup holder and a spring to assist with lifting the trunk lid from them, they also have a lot of carbon fiber and custom colored interior parts).

My best friend in high school had a father who was a corvette fanatic as in he was the president of local corvette club for a few years. I watched as he rebuilt a totaled corvette (junk yard find not barn find) over the course of three years, what a thing to see. Good luck with your rebuild, I look forward to seeing more before and after pics.

View attachment 79324 View attachment 79325
@Ronnie

Thank you very much for the link! I had not heard of this site before. There will definitely be a point where it will be prohibitive cost wise for me to have Coffman Corvette do the work for me.

Thanks,
Mark

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
congratulations!, excited to follow this thread,

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Visited Clint today after dropping kids at camp for the week....

Attachments

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Old old manufacturing building in Mansfield, built in 1896.

Carpet install in progress.

Very nice C2 frame off resto in progress

Views from the rooftop of the building

Sorry I’m not as sophisticated in my inline posting, I’ll try to get better. Excited about the corvette!

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Good luck in your build I've done a few for people myself. I do body and paint for a living and know how expensive this can get real quick. If you are building it to keep and use build it how you want it.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FE1B3767-DFAF-44AD-B013-BFCA92810B59.jpeg 393159B6-F4C7-4EF0-ACAD-C4963EC7D6F4.jpeg 792497E9-F4C9-4F52-82FA-30F2181B53F8.jpeg Took the corvette for a spin around Mansfield this morning. Clint is going to bring the car to us here in Columbus so we don’t have to chance using the freeway and 1 hour drive as her maiden trip.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice post I enjoyed the pics. I had a 77 I could dump the clutch at a stop and be doing 60 mph in the opposite direction by the second telephone pole fun car

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had a thing for vettes for like 6 years now. When i was 26 i was looking for a sports car, had been looking at 370z but my best friend convinced me to drive a c6. The targa roof and low insurance sealed it, i`m on c6 #3 now (a 2012 Grand Sport Centennial) and picked up a 1992 as a track car / fun daily. Great cars.

My next vette will be a c3. I have a thing for the chuome bumper cars, they just look so timelessly cool.