• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1994 Searay 200 bowrider

Dalyph

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Afternoon,
I'm thinking of buying a 94 searay 200 bowrider fixer upper and in need of advice. This is my very first boat ever I checked it out without a surveyor and found the floor completely rotted out. 5.7 motor runs with no issues or signs of bad parts just needs fluids flushed. Boat has been sitting since 2019 so owner just let the boat get weather damaged without a cover. I was able to talk owner down to 800 dollars
I know its alot of work but there aren't any issues with the hull. No cracks or holes in exterior hull or visible stress cracks. Inboard Mercruiser Alpha One. Transom is strong on the back did a weight test on the back to see if transom wood is rotted no signs of rot but not sure if its rotten. Boat is in fairly decent condition I want to know if it's worth spending 800 dollars on? It's a 20 ft boat which needs inside completely redone. I don't mind spending the time on fixing it buy want to know if it's truly worth it.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it runs well, that's a great price for anything with a running engine in my humble opinion. I would suggest a sea trial to ascertain all is well as you think. Depending on your station in life, $800 may be a small gamble, but to be sure you are getting your money's worth I would strongly suggest a water trial.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the floor is rotted, the transom is wet. Guaranteed. If the Transom is wet you are putting you and your families lives at risk because the engine may at some point just fall out of the back of the boat. I spent 2-1/2 years rebuilding the transom on my 1989 Chaparral 2100SX. It is the hardest, most involved job I have ever taken on. Grinding the transom and stringers down to the bare outside hull and rebuilding everything encased in new fiberglass and resin is not for the weak minded. It takes a HUGE commitment and love for the boat. If you are not prepared to do that, don't buy the boat. To pay someone to do it depending on the extent of damage, well, lets just say the boat is not worth it. You are better off finding a nice solid boned boat with a blown engine and replacing the engine. Just did that on my brother in laws Mariah. We pulled the engine and had a local rebuilder go through it and replace all worn parts. It was under $3,000 for a SBC 5.0L. We put it back in, rebuilt the Rochester Quadra-jet and the thing is rock solid.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
don't know what a weight test is. A true surveyor will use a moisture scanner which is still not very accurate. The only way to truly test the transom is to drill pilot holes down at the inside bottom as far down as you can get. If the wood comes out wet, then you know. Then you fill it with 5200 and make your decision. Since the floor is trashed, its all connected. The wood soaks like a sponge. Listen to me........... Production boats are not built to last for 27 years! That is the reality.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Dalyph

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If the floor is rotted, the transom is wet. Guaranteed. If the Transom is wet you are putting you and your families lives at risk because the engine may at some point just fall out of the back of the boat. I spent 2-1/2 years rebuilding the transom on my 1989 Chaparral 2100SX. It is the hardest, most involved job I have ever taken on. Grinding the transom and stringers down to the bare outside hull and rebuilding everything encased in new fiberglass and resin is not for the weak minded. It takes a HUGE commitment and love for the boat. If you are not prepared to do that, don't buy the boat. To pay someone to do it depending on the extent of damage, well, lets just say the boat is not worth it. You are better off finding a nice solid boned boat with a blown engine and replacing the engine. Just did that on my brother in laws Mariah. We pulled the engine and had a local rebuilder go through it and replace all worn parts. It was under $3,000 for a SBC 5.0L. We put it back in, rebuilt the Rochester Quadra-jet and the thing is rock solid.
Gotcha...if I gut it completely and just redo the stringers/deck and everything, considering the hull good do you think it's worth 800? Really a Longshot I figure time isn't the problem for me it's just the price to repair.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe a good donor, and find yourself a hull that takes the same engine? save all the work?

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, now that's a different story. You still have to think of the materials cost. If you wind up rebuilding the entire floor, stringers, transom just in wood, fiberglass, chop strand, resin you are probably talking about $1,500-$2,000. New transom seal, carb rebuild. $450. If the engine is out please put in a new starter whether you think it needs it or not $150. You may be looking at new exhaust manifolds if they are original $800-$1,200 depending on if you go original cast or if you upgrade to aluminum. Unless you are an upholstery expert and have a commercial machine you are talking $3,000-$5,000 for interior. So now you are looking at + $6,000 just to get the out on the lake not including all your hard labor, which could well be a couple hundred hours of work depending on your ability and commitment.

The iboats restoration forum is the group that helped me through my transom rebuild. A wealth of knowledge and experience. Go there and ask them. Take a look at what is involved before you make your decision. Like I said, its a labor of love, not a hobby. There are guys that have done it several times with a special boat they want to bring back to life, but I will never do it again. If you have a barn or place to do it and are ready to gear up and be safe with proper respirators, gloves, eye protection and Tyvek suits you are probably the right kind of person. I did it on the side of my house, in the cold, heat, rain. I had to do it on weekends and after work. No joke the boat was out of the water 2-1/2 years. But is was solid as a rock and done right. Never have to be done again.

Here's my rebuild if you are interested: Iboats restoration forum

Not trying to kill your excitement, its doable for sure. Done all the time. Just takes a special kind of crazy.

Dalyph

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, now that's a different story. You still have to think of the materials cost. If you wind up rebuilding the entire floor, stringers, transom just in wood, fiberglass, chop strand, resin you are probably talking about $1,500-$2,000. New transom seal, carb rebuild. $450. If the engine is out please put in a new starter whether you think it needs it or not $150. You may be looking at new exhaust manifolds if they are original $800-$1,200 depending on if you go original cast or if you upgrade to aluminum. Unless you are an upholstery expert and have a commercial machine you are talking $3,000-$5,000 for interior. So now you are looking at + $6,000 just to get the out on the lake not including all your hard labor, which could well be a couple hundred hours of work depending on your ability and commitment.

The iboats restoration forum is the group that helped me through my transom rebuild. A wealth of knowledge and experience. Go there and ask them. Take a look at what is involved before you make your decision. Like I said, its a labor of love, not a hobby. There are guys that have done it several times with a special boat they want to bring back to life, but I will never do it again. If you have a barn or place to do it and are ready to gear up and be safe with proper respirators, gloves, eye protection and Tyvek suits you are probably the right kind of person. I did it on the side of my house, in the cold, heat, rain. I had to do it on weekends and after work. No joke the boat was out of the water 2-1/2 years. But is was solid as a rock and done right. Never have to be done again.

Here's my rebuild if you are interested: Iboats restoration forum

Not trying to kill your excitement, its doable for sure. Done all the time. Just takes a special kind of crazy.
I love how detailed everyone is, so helpful! Your project came out great I see what you mean as far as time and work. I will take everything in and think hard about this project. I am super handy and I already have all the tools I need. Thanks a ton!

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love how detailed everyone is, so helpful! Your project came out great I see what you mean as far as time and work. I will take everything in and think hard about this project. I am super handy and I already have all the tools I need. Thanks a ton!
good luck to you. If you decide to do it and have any questions let me know.

Heizen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
You can use a hard object in tapping the suspected sections. The void under the surface gives a dull sound, which is the sign to replace the transom. To be sure that there’s delamination, you may drill 5mm-diameter inspection holes.
After taking this action, the drill’s tip will show you a sign of decay if there’s any. The other way to check is to squeeze the core material.

Last edited: