• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1st crab trap of 2017

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What kind of crabs do you catch down there? Are they like Md. Blue crabs?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you need a permit or anything to do that down there and what kind of bait are you using in the trap? I see lots of them here but most are commercial catching blue crab I will have to look into if thats something I can do here.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so this is pretty cool I can use two pots just under my regular salt water license I'm going to have to try this. I will have to look into what bait is being used.

Crab Pots
Permits/Licenses
Saltwater Recreational Fishing License required.

Restrictions
  • Licensee can fish no more than two pots recreationally. A Commercial Saltwater Fishing License, Vessel Decal, and Gear license are required for over two pots.
  • If unattended each pot float must bear the name and address or license number of owner.
  • No crab pot shall be left unattended in coastal waters more than 5 days.
  • No crab trap or pot may be set within 200 yards of a public boat landing or launching area or set so as to be left dry at low tide.
  • A float attached to a crab pot or trap must be made of solid, buoyant material which does not sink upon being punctured or cracked. The floats must be constructed of plastic, PVC Spongex, plastic foam, or cork. The primary float for a recreational pot or trap must be yellow in color and at least ten inches in length if rectangular, cylindrical, or conical and at least five inches in diameter or width. Round or spherical floats must be at least six inches in diameter. Buoy lines for crab pots must be made of nonfloating material.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843
Chicken and fish heads are the most common bait, some folks swear you should leave them out in the sun so they get good and stinky first.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't know how things work down south but you need to be careful not to set your lobster and crab traps too close to someone else's on the coast of Maine. Lines are not the only thing that get cut. Also if you ever boat on the coast up here in jet boats like ours you will be constantly dodging trap buoys with wooden sticks.

Gosh I am hungry for fresh crab cakes now.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are several areas here we have to dodge them in Winyah Bay so I will probably target that area since they are being caught there. What depth are you targeting @ClemsonTiger or does it depend on the water temps?

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843, the traps like @ClemsonTiger uses are for passive crabbing, like he said, drop it leave it got a day or two. If you want to do more active crabbing or scout out a new area you can get a couple of drop side traps. You dont leave these un attended because the crabs can get in and out un obstructed. When you pull it up, the sides come up trapping the crabs inside.

silverJ

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Good catch from last year. I'm more familiar with fish head as bait, chicken must be tasty for them too!

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have used chicken parts, fish parts, and pigs feet to bait for Stone crabs over here in Tampa area...
Like Allen said the stinkier the better !