• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

(2) 98 Bombardier's . . . . 1up and 2up

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, my dad has a long time family friend that has (2) 1998 Bombardier Skis that have 20ish hours each that he is looking to sell.

What I know. . . . :

They were ran in Salt Water
They were winterized 10-12 years ago and mostly sat covered outside (but were also garaged for a period)
They are cosmetically pristine
(the guy is a neat FREAK and takes excellent care of his stuff)
This season a marine mechanic brought them back to life so he could sell them
The mechanic claims they are mechanically sound

What I DON'T (yet) know:

Specific Models
Engine Size
Condition of dual trailer

He is asking $5k for both ski's and the dual trailer. . . . .

So BEFORE I travel over an hour out in his direction to see him, I am hoping to get some opinions with the information provided. Does that sound like a fair price? I am thinking even IF they are as pristine as he claims (I do believe him) they are still 20 years old. What type of considerations would I need to make on a set of skis that have been sitting for 10+ years? Hoses, belts, pumps. . . . . etc?

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC - figure you're as good a place as any to tag and ask. = )

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
you need to know the models and the exact years and look it up in N A D A Boat values in your location , you can do that on line

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked across all models for that year. . . . . And I came up with between $1400-$2900. But I believe that assumes and average of more than the 2 hours per year they have at their age.

Are there any "wear and tear" items I should be looking out for besides dry rotted hoses?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well they have them running so I have to say it is a pig in a poke Sitting for that long is never a good thing so I guess it is a gamble I would not pay 5k for them but that is just my gut feeling if it were proposed to me I would go 1500 each and 400 for a trailer if it is working but if you are saying a 1 person it would be a stand up and a 2 person is pretty worthless unless you ride alone so if that is the case I would only offer 1k each if they run well

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well they have them running so I have to say it is a pig in a poke Sitting for that long is never a good thing so I guess it is a gamble I would not pay 5k for them but that is just my gut feeling if it were proposed to me I would go 1500 each and 400 for a trailer if it is working but if you are saying a 1 person it would be a stand up and a 2 person is pretty worthless unless you ride alone so if that is the case I would only offer 1k each if they run well
From memory, I believe they are incorrect with regards to the 1&2 person designations. I have seen these skis a long time ago and believe what they are describing as "1Up" is actually a 2 seater and the "2Up" is actually a 3 seater.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well I believe the 5 k would be out of the realm of reality, 2 stroke older skies just do not have a lot of value today and that low of hours is not really a good thing, pump seals, crank seals ,motor mounts, hoses, wires, cables, electronics, fuel tank, who knows? .

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I believe the 5 k would be out of the realm of reality, 2 stroke older skies just do not have a lot of value today and that low of hours is not really a good thing, pump seals, crank seals ,motor mounts, hoses, wires, cables, electronics, fuel tank, who knows? .
Kinda what I was thinking. . . . thanks for confirming.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anytime i have seen an older (stored winterized for years) ski come to life, you will usually get only a few rides in before the motor takes a puke.
Most people winterize the ski with the intention of using it again within the year.
They never take the real steps to put it in long-term storage

I wouldn't touch them unless I was getting them cheap enough that I was willing to rebuild them

Those older seadoos ride very rough and have crappy handling compaired to 05 and newer skis. Spend 5 grand on something newer and Fuel injected

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can't really say without knowing the year and model of each Pwc. There are a few that still sell at a premium like the wave blasters, super jet and xp with 787 cc engine not the 935 cc but for over $2k each they have to be pristine. Meaning, the compression is good on all cylinders, the wear ring has been replaced recently and The impeller replaced or refurbished. The oil pump also needs to be replaced or at least checked out. Older two stroke seadoos also suffered from fuel lines that would deteriorate from the inside over time and cause carb/fuel delivery problems. Another problem is the fuel switch (on/off/reserve), it has a wax seal which breaks down over time causing fuel delivery issues. Unfortunatley, I learned a lot of the above the hard / expensive way. Last but not least, water test them before you close the deal. The first used seadoo Pwc I bought checked out on the trailer but barely started (dying battery) and ran like crap (slow to accelerate and top speed limited to 30 mph, bad fuel switch). I will think I paid $2k for that ski when it was 12 years old it easily cost another $1,000 and several days of my labor to make it pristine.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Definitely way too high. With enough determination, you can dam near snag a pair of FX140's for that. Easily get a pair of 4 strokes for 6-6500. Based on the description, it sounds to me like your looking at something worth about $1500-$2000 total. My buddy snagged a pair of GTX's recently for $1200 with a badass trailer for a point of reference. @Neutron said it perfectly - I'd dam near put money on them needing a full rebuild by the end of the season.