• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2000 Challenger sucked up a rock

Fiona

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hi everyone was wondering if anyone would have any ideas to help us out with this issue,
We sucked up a rock and it stalled the motor, did not know that was what happened so I tried to restart the boat and it wouldn’t start.
Took boat out of water and looked inside and it was lodged in the grate at the prop took it out then proceeded to take off the pump to look at Wear Ring and the propeller, very little damage to either one.
Went to restart the motor and it is surging and smoking a lot.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be damaged to cause this issue?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Since it's a direct drive, it locked that engine up solid. Since you probably have the Merc 240EFI or Merc Optimax engine, it was pumping fuel and oil for a moment after locking up.

It's gonna smoke and run rough for a bit. That should go away, if not, yes you may have some serious issues. I would take some time to idle it on hose, or in the water to see if it stabilizes itself.

On a similar note, do you still have the Hydro-surge grate installed that came from the factory? If so, get one of the solid grates or rock grates. The hydro surge was known to allow rocks and debris in like you experienced. Also, tines have been known to break off and lodge in the impeller too.

If you have the twin Rotax engines, than none of this info applies. But my guess is you have the Merc. Let us know what you have.

Good luck!

Fiona

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thank you for the information it is the 240EFI and the original grate is what is on it. We will try running it this weekend and see how it goes.
Thanks again

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Let's hope all works out. Here is a link to a very fairly priced solid tine grate.

MERCURY V6 SPORT JET SEADOO INTAKE GRATE 852962 | eBay

They Hydro Surge grate is a timebomb. If those tines break off, they will go through the pump. I lost a couple and they didn't damage my impeller. I suppose it was just like a small rock when it happened on my 240EFI.

These grates don't pop up often on Ebay, but this seems like a good price well under $100.

Good luck with the run!