• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2001 GP800r advice request

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello board, Ive often daydreamed about jet skis and spoke about it here, and ive come across an opportunity, and project possibly. Note: this is being driven by my wife FYI she texted me.... thought she was kidding, but shes interested....I prefer 4 stroke but...its HER bonus. LOL

Locally, a guy is selling TWO 2001 gp800r's. I know little about them as a model, but enough about 2 stroke engines, and Yamaha designed stuff in general...maybe I could get by.

I messaged the guy, but Iv'e not seen them yet, don't know the shape, though photos look decent....so I'm looking for more intelligent thoughts going in. Here are the details, Ill take ANY advice, on difficulty in repair... maintenance... or just tell me to run away. LOL

2 2001 GP800r. wants 3000 for both. seems high?

-1 "good running order" 54 hrs

-the other (not running) 51 hrs, says: "will cost 475$ to fix it, lower end not frozen up" (edit: little research tells me this is full top end rebuild)
2nd edit: tope end already torn off im a little iffy on that.

plus the low hours... 50 hrs in 18 yrs? Id want that in 1-2 lol

Ill keep researching, but whats the WORST CASE SCENARIOS you can think of?

Last edited:

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
secondly, passenger-load wise... can they handle two novice adults?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A little background first...

I have owned a WaveRaider 760, GP1200, GP1200R and a pair of GP1300r machines. Have had plenty of seat time on the GP800/GP800R as well. The hulls are identical from 800 to 1200 to 1300 and they are performance hulls. Not as stable as the new fourstrokes, but not as tippy as the old GP's of the late 90's.

The GP800R is more than enough for 2 adults. You will find it to be one of the higher performing machines under 1000cc. That being said, you may want to consider the running unit and walk about from one that needs work. If it has the top end off, you really have no way of telling what caused the issue. Unless you consider the price of a replacement/donor engine and start from there with your negotiation.

If both skis were in working order, they should pull 1500-1700 each easily. A GP1200r of that vintage is roughly a 2200-2500 ski. A top end rebuild is a routine job for most watercraft mechanics, but not as common on those engines. They are rock solid nearly bulletproof engines. But, if they hydrolocked it, there may be issues in the bottom end that you cannot see until taken apart. Assume the worst if they want to move them.

They are fun units. And that hull is a good time. Our current GP1300R's are a blast, and I love them over the fourstrokes for playing around.

Good luck.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A little background first...

I have owned a WaveRaider 760, GP1200, GP1200R and a pair of GP1300r machines. Have had plenty of seat time on the GP800/GP800R as well. The hulls are identical from 800 to 1200 to 1300 and they are performance hulls. Not as stable as the new fourstrokes, but not as tippy as the old GP's of the late 90's.

The GP800R is more than enough for 2 adults. You will find it to be one of the higher performing machines under 1000cc. That being said, you may want to consider the running unit and walk about from one that needs work. If it has the top end off, you really have no way of telling what caused the issue. Unless you consider the price of a replacement/donor engine and start from there with your negotiation.

If both skis were in working order, they should pull 1500-1700 each easily. A GP1200r of that vintage is roughly a 2200-2500 ski. A top end rebuild is a routine job for most watercraft mechanics, but not as common on those engines. They are rock solid nearly bulletproof engines. But, if they hydrolocked it, there may be issues in the bottom end that you cannot see until taken apart. Assume the worst if they want to move them.

They are fun units. And that hull is a good time. Our current GP1300R's are a blast, and I love them over the fourstrokes for playing around.

Good luck.
excellent reply @biffdotorg ! the job doesnt look difficult, but, as you mention, there's no way to know what else lies beneath on top of it.... :)

Im leaning towards making a lowball offer, walking away if not taken. asking 3000, I think ill offer $2000 total if the "good" ski has decent compression. then I have a $1500 ski and a 500 dollar trailer worst case.

Or do some work and have two 1500 dollar jet skis. :)

as far as the rideability goes... I looked into it. Shows they'll run in the 50's. Since i considered the vx1100 going 49 a riot so i think we're good there. lol

Ill post my findings. Still no answer on my questions which were:

why was it torn down? How long has it been torn down? and do you have all the parts?

thanks again!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thats a great way to look at it. And a pair is much more fun than one unit. They will be a bit more fuel thirsty than the four stroke machines, but we don't always buy them for fuel economy.

Good luck!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
still no reply. lol i can tell on the messenger app hes read it.

methinks he may not want to sell them... maybe a "sure ill put up an ad, honey" type thing, to appease the finance dept who disapproves of sitting projects.

Ive seen it before :)

I DID notice they were registered current... So cant be sitting more than 3 yrs. (boat reg cycle in iowa)

and fuel. yeah. no one cares. Its Smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon. ;) jet skis have high ratings.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
follow up.

ZERO response from the seller. Even if he does, im Spooked.

Bummer too, I was looking forward to the project. Sharing it with my sons maybe....

oh well.

I have plenty of things to do lol