• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004 SR230 - One Engine Start, other turns over but will not fire

Nrom

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
2004 Yamaha SR230 - Broke boat out to get ready for spring/summer. Fire up one engine no problem. Other engine turns over but will not start.

Put new plugs in, still won't fire. Tried using spray starter fluid. No obvious signs of water in fuel or oil. Seems like it is getting fuel but hard to truly tell. When it's turning over it turns smooth, just won't fire up.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2004 Yamaha SR230 - Broke boat out to get ready for spring/summer. Fire up one engine no problem. Other engine turns over but will not start.

Put new plugs in, still won't fire. Tried using spray starter fluid. No obvious signs of water in fuel or oil. Seems like it is getting fuel but hard to truly tell. When it's turning over it turns smooth, just won't fire up.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,
Not an expert but I think the lanyard has two switches under it - and those disable the ignition only so the starters will still turn (unlike the cleanout plug cover switches).
Maybe start there? Lanyards do wear out and the thickness is critical, supposedly.

--

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Things to check if engines cranck but do not fire:
The clean out port hatch has 2 sensors (black push buttons). One of those may not be functioning. You can open the hatch and have someone hold the buttons down and see if that helps. If it does, you can adjust the height of the switch to engage with the hatch.

Throttles need to be in neutral — even if you think it is in neutral, rotate them in and out — same thing, there is a sensor that may not be registering.

Only concerning thing — I believe both of those solutions (and the lanyard) kill the fuel system, so if you are using starter fluid and it still does not fire, you may have a bigger issue — some one else should confirm what happens when the lanyard is pulled before you bank on that issue.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought the lanyard killed the ignition system. Unplug the lanyard base from the boat to troubleshoot. If it starts, that was it.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you try in fast neutral? Rule out the switches, them check the compression.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, since one engine runs I would rule out fuel for the moment and would be leaning towards safety switches since starter fluid doesn't help either,

Do you have a spark tester? it's an easy test to help point you in a direction rather than pulling switches,

Be sure to look at our FAQ tab at the top of the page for lots of great tips/DIY's also in my signature below is a link for common issues on MR1 engine boats,

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, since one engine runs I would rule out fuel for the moment and would be leaning towards safety switches since starter fluid doesn't help either,

Do you have a spark tester? it's an easy test to help point you in a direction rather than pulling switches,

Be sure to look at our FAQ tab at the top of the page for lots of great tips/DIY's also in my signature below is a link for common issues on MR1 engine boats,
My 04 has a fuel pump for each engine

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But it will not start on starter fluid -- so i doubt it is a fuel issue.
How do you spray starter fluid into 4 cylinders at the same time? Starter fluid had been spotty in my experience. I'd want an additional test to see if there was fuel pressure before ruleing it out.
Edit: im in California and the good stuff went illegal a long time ago.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I find starter fluid available in Texas is amazing, and a fine mist in proximity will run a small engine for a few seconds. Miraculous.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have YDS software then you can check each fuel pump to see it it is pushing fuel to the motor.

You can also disconnect the fuel line and try starting, the pump should spray fuel out the end of the disconnected hose.