• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004 SR230 port side engine issues

jebwm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
SO, of course all this would happen when I'm on a week long vacation. I'll try to make this as short as possible. My port side engine is idling very rough at times and has a very potent gas smell while smoking out of the back end. The oil now has gas in it and it starting to splatter on the air filter. I can still get up and go with about 90% power on that engine though. The starboard engine hits 10k RPMs while the port engine tops out at 9k. Every so often it will jump up to 10k for a few seconds and then settle back down to 9k. It will randomly do that over and over at WOT. Here is what I have tested so far

-I pulled all the injectors and tested them, they are all opening and closing with 12v power. I have also added fuel injector cleaner to the tank and run the boat to get that through the system

-I replaced all the spark plugs and noticed that cylinder number 4 (closest to the bow) is saturated with fuel while the other 3 and dry. I swapped the 3rd and 4th injector to see if that made the problem change and there was no difference.

-I swapped coil packs and spark plug wires from engine to engine and the problem remains with the port engine.

-I changed out the oil in the top reservoir several times to remove as much fuel contamination as possible.

-I sprayed SeaForm directly into the intake valves as per the instructions on the can to remove and potential deposit build up

-I did a compression test on the 4th cylinder and it came up at 145 psi while 3rd cylinder came in at 165 psi, so this is a bit concerning.

After doing a bunch of reading it seems like it may be the ECM keeping and injector stuck open which would explain the excessive fuel smell and contamination in the oil. Since I've done all of this the engine idles a bit better and no longer smokes but it still tops out at 9k RPMs and jumps around to 10k every so often. Any suggestions?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
where are you at?
do you have a High Output MR1 or standard MR1 ?
@bronze_10 might be able to give you some advice,

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like a typical ECU issue. These can be sent out for repair.

On your cylinder with 145 psi compression I think the gas has probably washed the oil from the cylinder walls. Try squirting a few squirts of engine oil in that cylinder, dry crank just a couple of revolutions then retest. I think you'll see it come up.

jebwm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
these are good tips. I am currently on Raystown Lake in PA and I have the standard MR1

jebwm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Sounds like a typical ECU issue. These can be sent out for repair.

On your cylinder with 145 psi compression I think the gas has probably washed the oil from the cylinder walls. Try squirting a few squirts of engine oil in that cylinder, dry crank just a couple of revolutions then retest. I think you'll see it come up.

Where do you send them for repair? I can't swing $1300 for a new one anytime soon