• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004 Yamaha sx230 Water In oIl

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2004 sx230 I picked up last year 1 engine sucked water into cylinders and locked up the rings rebuilt motor. It was warm out today so finally ran it on the hose and my oil looks like milk it does not smell like gas so it has to be water besides head gasket because its brand new where can water enter the system? and yes I know to start it before I turn hose on and water off before engine off.

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It takes quite a few oil changes to get the milky oil out of the system. Are you sure that this is a new issue and not just old milky oil still left in the engine??

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It takes quite a few oil changes to get the milky oil out of the system. Are you sure that this is a new issue and not just old milky oil still left in the engine??
I tore the engine down myself replaced rings cleaned it. Engine was spotless when I re assembled even flushed out oil tank I had some steam coming from the oil tank when running on hose I am flushing oil 1 more time to double check.

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It could be quite a few issues. Make sure the engine is running before turning on the water from the hose and shut water of before turning engine off. Could be head gasket, cracked head, or a number of things. There have been a few threads here that discuss this very issue.
@WREKS seems to be the guy to talk to in these situations. He'll chime in when he gets a chance.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1 engine sucked water into cylinders and locked up the rings rebuilt motor.
Do you know what initially made the engine get water in the cylinders ? Did you get towed or run on one engine ?
How did the cooling passages looked when you took the heads off? what about the exhaust manifold cooling passages ?

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you know what initially made the engine get water in the cylinders ? Did you get towed or run on one engine ?
How did the cooling passages looked when you took the heads off? what about the exhaust manifold cooling passages ?

I have no idea how water got in the motor initially the guy told me he thought his son ran hose with engine off i personally never had it out on water that's why I got boat real cheap. I tore engine out and apart over the winter everything looked good head manifolds ect both engines where SBT rebuilt at some point as motors are painted black and stamped by sbt. The old head gasket didnt even look burnt or anything plus I re sealed the engine with all new gaskets ect.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK thanks I think what I am going to do is tear the whole exhaust system off again.. disassemble it look a those gaskets And tear the oil tank off again and pressure test it to make sure I am not getting water from that aswell.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jws123 I pressurized our oil tank with it on the engine, there is one inlet and two outlet on the water side. I pulled the inlet line off and made up a adapter with a pressure regulator so I could regulate how much air pressure was going in and crimped off the two outlets. How I found the exhaust seals were bad was when I uncrimped the line from the oil cooler to the rubber boot on the elbow of the exhaust air started coming out of the cylinders.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jws123 I pressurized our oil tank with it on the engine, there is one inlet and two outlet on the water side. I pulled the inlet line off and made up a adapter with a pressure regulator so I could regulate how much air pressure was going in and crimped off the two outlets. How I found the exhaust seals were bad was when I uncrimped the line from the oil cooler to the rubber boot on the elbow of the exhaust air started coming out of the cylinders.
Ok thanks i will try this

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A leak down test could be helpful.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A leak down test could be helpful.
It has new rings but I have a leakdown tester il do it for the hell of it il see if air comes out anywhere else aswell the crazy thing is it runs good I am hoping its something to do with the exhaust.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My water-in-oil problem was a small corosion canal in the cylinder head between Cylinder 1 and a water passage way where head and gasket meet. The leak down helped zero in on Cylinder 1 area. I think
the hot cooling water was turning to steam and getting past the rings. It left discoloration on the Cylinder 1 wall.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the suggestions I am going to troubleshoot more on Thursday when weather clears.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ran it checked compression it was 130-140 all cylinders no water or anything shot out the cylinders all plugs looked the same I broke my leakdown tester ordered another. I ran it on the hose again after checking compression when I rev it I get steam out of the oil tank no blowby either so my next thing is to somehow pressurize the oil tank/coolant system. I also checked the 2 ports in the top of the head to see if water was pissing out into the head didn't see anything.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just after I posted the above reply I heard something running somehow the good engine started its self...... glad I caught it before it burnt up this things haunted 🤣😂 I assume the key shorted out or something.. this thing was un covered alot before I got it.,

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just did exactly this exactly I have air coming out of my cylinders!!!!😃 tearing the exhaust off now.

Last edited: