• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004 Yamaha XLT 1200 staying on plane

brownjjst

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have been trying to figure out why my ski will take right off up to about 20 mph then boggs down as if it sucked something up and losses power? I have changed the fuel in it, took apart the fuel lines as well as the filter inside the tank, and changed plugs. Seems as if it’s sucking air from somewhere! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
do your rpm's decrease or you have full rpm and just loose torque/speed ? how do your impellers look?

brownjjst

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
RPMs decrease and I have no torque. I have a good power coming out of the hole but when he ski hits about 20 or so it boggs down Impellers look good!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
May have an internal exhaust leak, try running with the seat off and see if it improves, if it does you need to look for an exhaust leak.
Another cause could be a bad fuel switch very common on 2 stroke skies,, completely bypass that switch and go directly to the reserve pickup on your fuel tank, if the switch is bad it either allows air in to the fuel line or it obstructs the flow of fuel and kills top end.
There is a quick way to see if you are starving for fuel. But I can't tell you how for safety reasons. The fuel starvation is most likely the issue.

Last edited:

brownjjst

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
thanks I will try as soon as it warms up a bit...

brownjjst

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Ok guys had carbs rebuilt and a D Plate put in runs like a champ!! Only problem now, is my exhaust sensor comes on before I can even get to the other side of the lake. Did a little research and sounds like I need a chip to tell the exhaust that it is not hot because of the D Plate. Does that sound right?