• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2005 SR230 engines won’t start

BLit

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
i launched my boat today and everything was going great, engines started just fine and I backed away from the launch with no issues. I shifted from reverse to neutral and then I tried to kill one engine to restart and clear out the weeds. As I killed one engine the other shut off as well. Made sure the boat was in neutral and the safety kill switch was engaged, tried to start each engine and nothing happens. All accessories still work but the starter won’t even click. No power is going to the engines at all.

Do you think this could be a neutral safety switch? I trailered the boat after paddling to the launch and checking fuses and the battery. I’m at a loss for what it could be. Please help!

BLit
@HELP

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Either the neutral switch or the clean out hatch switches.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I assume you have check the clean outs and have removed all weeds. It is not your lanyard because a pulled lanyard would allow the engine to crank but not start.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@HELP is the means to attract attention here. Where are you located?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The only safety device that prevents the starter from turning is the clean out hatch switches. I'm guessing the hatch is not properly closed and latched.

BLit

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
The only safety device that prevents the starter from turning is the clean out hatch switches. I'm guessing the hatch is not properly closed and latched.
I have opened and closed the clean out hatch and also excersised the switches. I’ll have someone help me by manually pressing them. I don’t understand why the switches would be fine and then as soon as I shift they kill the engines.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have opened and closed the clean out hatch and also excersised the switches. I’ll have someone help me by manually pressing them. I don’t understand why the switches would be fine and then as soon as I shift they kill the engines.
Are you saying that the engines start, then cut out as soon as you put the throttles in forward?

Or,

The starter won’t activate when attempting to start?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the cleanout hatch is open or the throttle is not in neutral the engines will not crank. Most likely one of those is your problem.

BLit

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Are you saying that the engines start, then cut out as soon as you put the throttles in forward?

Or,

The starter won’t activate when attempting to start?
The engines won’t do anything now. It’s like there is zero power going to them. I’m pretty new to the whole jet boat thing. I’m going to recheck the clean out hatch sensors again in the morning but as of right now the accessories work and zero power to the engines.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Could also be the relay went out but not a very common thing.
Check all fuses.
Should be one in each ecu box and also water tight holders by batteries/battery switch.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The height of the cleanout port switches can be adjusted. A quick fix is to use double sided tape to secure a nickel to the bottom of the hatch where it will contact the switch.

And please check that the boat is in neutral.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would check the clean out ports and below and make sure everything is clear now that you are out of the water. You had a weed problem which prompted the shutdown of the one side. I am being you had issues on both sides that may gummed you up...

Let us know what you found from everyone's advice above.

BLit

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
After checking the neutral switch, clean out hatch switches and he kill switch. I was stumped. I checked the ignitions also and he only time I was getting connectivity was when the test light was connected and making the ground. So I knew it was a ground issue. After checking and checking I had given up and was covering the boat when I decided to check the battery connections one last time. I cleaned them good and all be damned, all that for a bad ground connection on the battery. I checked the connections the day prior and since all accessories were working I figure it wasn’t the battery. Live and learn I guess. I appreciate all of the help everybody chimed in with. I need to take troubleshooting 101 again I think.

Last edited: