• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2005 SX230 Issues

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boy oh Boy...

as most of you know I just finished putting sea-dek in and it looks badass...

Well tonight I tossed new plugs in and the batteries...

Right motor, turned on right away no issues at all... boom sounded like a champ...

Left Motor, grinding noise.. wouldnt turn over and start... No clue...

Anyone have anywhere I should start..... I am pretty pissed as most can imagine... First year having it, and now this issue... Plug issue ? My buddy was like sounds like a piston... I sure as hell hope not....

*Sigh*....

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have yds?
Can you post a video of the sound?
When was the last time it ran right?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When u say it wpuld not turn over or start... do u mean the engine would not spin? If that's the case it could be really bad or a starter!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I called him.. he said it spins but has a loud grinding sound so he stopped.. question.... if he pulls the pump to eliminate a problem with the impeller can he start the engine long enough to see if the sound goes away?

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I called my buddy because I was more irritated and pissed than anything LOL....he hasn't called me back to get the "sound"

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It was turning over but grinding and banging.....per my buddy....he thinks it's a piston/cylinder issue....

He isn't a jetboat guy but he was with me....

Could it be one of the spark plugs werentsbeated correct or an issue with the coil ?

The grinding noise is an issue though

Last edited:

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Or clean out tray not closed or misaligned switch....but you said grinding sound....so that suggests it is turning over?

Clean out tray is closed....

It's trying to turn over....

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Record a video and post it here. Doubt it's a spark plug issue. Has this engine always worked well before?

I have YDS cables as you know and you are welcome to borrow them.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I called him.. he said it spins but has a loud grinding sound so he stopped.. question.... if he pulls the pump to eliminate a problem with the impeller can he start the engine long enough to see if the sound goes away?
I would try to look down the impeller shaft from the back before trying to run it to see if it straightens itself out. I wouldn't bet it on that happening by just running it. If it's something in the impeller housing he should be able to see it.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please don't kill me for asking as I know it's a silly question. I'm assuming you changed the oil when winterizing or now your sure you put oil back in the engine? It could be a pump one way to tell is back it into the water and try and start it make sure the pump is clear first. It should sound better if its a pump issue if it sounds the same it's something else. Remember these engines can sound rough at times out of the water even in great running condition.

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Please don't kill me for asking as I know it's a silly question. I'm assuming you changed the oil when winterizing or now your sure you put oil back in the engine? It could be a pump one way to tell is back it into the water and try and start it make sure the pump is clear first. It should sound better if its a pump issue if it sounds the same it's something else. Remember these engines can sound rough at times out of the water even in great running condition.
@robert843 yes sir....I did that during winterization....I will check though tomorrow to double check.

I was going to try and turn both motors over with the lanyard out and see if is the same noise....

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Record a video and post it here. Doubt it's a spark plug issue. Has this engine always worked well before?

I have YDS cables as you know and you are welcome to borrow them.
I totally forgot about that man......

Let me know when I could link up to borrow them....

Feel like giving it a look since your local ?? Let me know ! I'll owe ya lunch if so

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, he can start the engine with the pump removed. Just don't over rev. The same as starting out of the water.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The pump housing can swell from corrosion between the aluminum housing and stainless liner. That would cause scraping and clanging.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bird could have built a nest in the pump!
Actually not funny, lol. I have had birds made an attempt at building a nest in one of my pumps. Not cool. I'm glad I caught it right during very early construction phase, otherwise my kids wouldn't let me evict the damn bird. I doubt that would make an engine sound rough though.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suspect the bird(s) and eggs would make more of a squishy sound and provide lubrication.

But I am still hopeful that @chess just has a pump issue. It is only a few bolts and 15 minutes to pull the pump and find out.

Steelerville

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the same problem after I wrapped a rope around the pump. It took several outings before the sound of rattling stop. I thought it was the motor. Changed oil and plugs, same noise. It's probably from sitting and just needs to run. Oh my motor started hard during this whole process.