• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 ar230 low compression ?

euro_e30

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went to look at an 06 ar230 this past weekend, boat was very clean well priced etc, motors started right up sounded good, and then I ran the compression and all went down hill. Owner stated boat ran fine etc (but he only used it to put around on the lake with his kids, supposedly a low hr boat 200-250 hrs. Just weird that it can run at such low compression and I didn't see any dash lights either not sure if this would have triggered it (possible misfire).

Would motors like this typically need just a top end rebuilt? (anyone have approx. cost if done by yourself, didn't see any kits online) Would it be worth it for the right price?

Motor 1
Cyl 1 - 155psi
Cyl 2 - 60 psi
Cyl 3 - 90 psi
Cyl 4 - 90 psi

Motor 2
Cyl 1 - 155 psi
Cyl 2 - 155 psi
Cyl 3 - 90 psi
Cyl 4 - 155 psi

euro_e30

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never ended up taking it in the water after the compression test figured that was bad enough didn't want to waste his or my time

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you start the motors? Any smoke?You can buy a replacement motor from sbt relatively cheap if it's a good deal on the boat. I never did a compression test on my boat when I bought it. I drove it and it performed awesome so I bought it. Not the best advice but it's the best thing I've EVER bought.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll let you know once I get back to troubleshooting my 04 ar230 with bad compression. Did you add oil for a wet test? Was the oil contaminated?

euro_e30

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No it didn't smoke sounded good on land and wasn't good enough deal to get to swap out the sbt motors good idea thought

euro_e30

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll let you know once I get back to troubleshooting my 04 ar230 with bad compression. Did you add oil for a wet test? Was the oil contaminated?
No I did not add oil for a wet test and oil seemed pretty clean from what I could see

Georg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
....You can buy a replacement motor from sbt relatively cheap if it's a good deal on the boat........
That's not good idea. SBT engines are poor build quality. Imho is better to repair you own original engine (s) with original yamaha spare parts.

euro_e30

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's not good idea. SBT engines are poor build quality. Imho is better to repair you own original engine (s) with original yamaha spare parts.
ive used sbt on my wave runners and no issues with them, are you going off of actual experience or what issues did you run into with them? (would like to know for future reference)

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have an SBT MR1 with over 3 years and 100 hours and (knock on wood) it has performed perfectly, including the results of several oil analyses. When I was researching, almost all of the Yamaha motor SBT complaints were with either a 2 stroke or an engine with unaddressed peripheral issues.

bgriffin69

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
DO NOT USE SBT MOTORS!!!!! Period.
I have a 2008 AR230. Last summer my starboard engine failed and I took it to the dealer. They replaced with SBT. Over the next 3 minutes months I went thru 3 replacement engines. The last one lasted until last week. Less than 20 hrs. It is currently back at the dealer waiting for another warranty replacement. They have all come apart internally because of their poor parts and workmanship.
Also they won't send out a new engine until they get the old one back and the evaluate it. Well dam, this adds at least 2 weeks to each engine swap. Sucks!!
DO NOT USE SBT MOTORS!!!! Period!!!

euro_e30

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the input sorry to hear about your experience with these motors, spatty99 mentioned he's had his for 3 years so I wonder if your just getting a bad batch for whatever reason but that's excuse to be receiving that type of motors

DO NOT USE SBT MOTORS!!!!! Period.
I have a 2008 AR230. Last summer my starboard engine failed and I took it to the dealer. They replaced with SBT. Over the next 3 minutes months I went thru 3 replacement engines. The last one lasted until last week. Less than 20 hrs. It is currently back at the dealer waiting for another warranty replacement. They have all come apart internally because of their poor parts and workmanship.
Also they won't send out a new engine until they get the old one back and the evaluate it. Well dam, this adds at least 2 weeks to each engine swap. Sucks!!
DO NOT USE SBT MOTORS!!!! Period!!!

Georg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ive used sbt on my wave runners and no issues with them, are you going off of actual experience or what issues did you run into with them? (would like to know for future reference)
Two blown SBT engines in two ears. No more than 30 hours together. Poor customer service.

Wave runner engine has little bit different life: Not so long operations on full throttle.

euro_e30

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Two blown SBT engines in two ears. No more than 30 hours together. Poor customer service.

Wave runner engine has little bit different life: Not so long operations on full throttle.
thanks for the response, I think I would rebuilt my self anyways, just a long block seems much easier but based off of the feedback doesn't seem the route to go.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn. I was considering calling them up today. My heads need a vale job at a minimum and I think the block is cracked.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just called sbt. They talked me it of it! He said if the block is cracked they will charge you for welding, and if that doesn't work they charge you $100/ week until you send them a new block. He said a cracked block could easily cost you an additional 2-3000.