• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007 AR230 - Engine Hours?

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,

I love my 2007 AR230, I have had it for 4 yrs and it has about 400 hrs on both engines. What is the maximum hours people have on this forum? Does anybody on this forum have MR-1 engines with 800+ hours?

I have had zero engine issues...(knock on wood)

Should I keep this boat or upgrade next year?

Thx -

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
MR-1s have gone for 2,000 to 4,000 hours before rebuilding in rental skis.

Assuming they have had oil and spark plug changes yours are babies.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yea these are not 2-stroke engines that have to be rebuilt every 200 hours. Think of this. If you drive a car 20,000 miles a year even at 65 mph that is 307 hours per year. Most cars will last well over 100,000 miles which is at least 1,500 hours and realistically is a lot more than that because we don't driveve 65 mph all the time.

Boats have an advantage because they generally run cool (at least our Yamahas do) being cooled with lake water.

It's not that Yamaha engines never fail, but as Bruce said 2,000 - 4,000 hours without any issues is common.You're good for another 10 years or more.

Our 2005 SX210 has (I think) about 300 hours. All I ever do is change the oil, filters, and spark plugs. At this point, with 9 years of ownership and many days of summer fun, even if I had to drop $3,000 on a replacement engine I'd consider that good service out of a boat.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My experience is different. 3 out of 4 mr1s that i have tested compression on in the last year we're low. My theory is that the valves stuck and get corroded. Cylinder 3 had most issues with 2 behind that. 1 and 4 have been good on all of them I'm about 2k into head work and gaskets. You can't buy a new engine, but you can get the short block for 4600 and the heads for about the same. It seems like they are only for sale sometimes as the assembly. Buying all the parts for the engine is 10k plus assembly. You can't buy complete engines, only sbt rebuilds.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My experience is different. 3 out of 4 mr1s that i have tested compression on in the last year we're low. My theory is that the valves stuck and get corroded. Cylinder 3 had most issues with 2 behind that. 1 and 4 have been good on all of them I'm about 2k into head work and gaskets. You can't buy a new engine, but you can get the short block for 4600 and the heads for about the same. It seems like they are only for sale sometimes as the assembly. Buying all the parts for the engine is 10k plus assembly. You can't buy complete engines, only sbt rebuilds.
That's not good news. Not only are the prices you quoted way over what I thought they'd be, but much of what I read about SBT isn't very good.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The bad cylinder and low compression could be from improper storage if the motors are not fogged and after the last time its run you leave water in the water boxes . That could cause issues with the valves sticking and possible corrosion in the cylinder. Even though Yamaha says the motors are self draining they still retain some water that water can condensate and cause issues. Look at boats for sale and you will see them with over 500 hrs . The jet ski forums list the MR1 as one of the best ski motors for longevity in similar year models and that rental companies have logged over 2000 hrs before needing new pistons and rings.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@jdonalds I've only heard good about the MR1 from SBT (including mine after 200+ hours and routine oil analysis). The negative I read was for the 2 stroke engines (which sounded sketchy straight from the Yamaha factory).

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jdonalds I've only heard good about the MR1 from SBT (including mine after 200+ hours and routine oil analysis). The negative I read was for the 2 stroke engines (which sounded sketchy straight from the Yamaha factory).
I've heard bad things about the mr1 builds. Like the guy that was on number 3 from sbt. Customer service seems good, but i don't want to pull an engine 3x! Look around on the other site and green hulk. Lots of cases.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I were in the market for a boat with MR1 engine I wouldn't look for ultra low hours. From what I've seen there is something to these boats sitting for extended periods of time with no use.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jgorm,

I have heard good reports from mechanics using SBT rebuilds. Much of the negativity toward SBT rebuilds came from 2 stroke engines where the original had failed due to oil delivery or carburetor issues, those issues were not corrected then the replacement engine failed.

Yamaha does not sell any complete jet boat engines and component prices are quite high. I suspect this is to prevent a third party manufacturer using Yamaha engines.

I do not have an explanation for your bad luck in testing engines. I wonder what has biased your sample? There are so many MR-1 powered vessels providing reliable service to their owners with minimal maintenance.

SleepieAce

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We have had ours since new. Oil/spark plug changes when needed and winterized every winter. We've only had one major issue and that was electrical and self inflicted. Other than that it has been running nicely for years.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
450 hours. Runs like a top. I change the oil regularly and always fog before winter.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have two MR1s in skis that have 1200+ hours each. They burn a little oil... a quart every 3 tanks or so, but still do 8000+ RPM and run great.

-Greg

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have two MR1s in skis that have 1200+ hours each. They burn a little oil... a quart every 3 tanks or so, but still do 8000+ RPM and run great.

-Greg
I would say the 80% of max rpms and burning a quart every 3 tanks is running pretty bad! Sounds like it needs new rings and valves.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should have specified... not the 1.8. 1052cc MR1s... VX110 motors. 8k is normal redline.

-Greg

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should have specified... not the 1.8. 1052cc MR1s... VX110 motors. 8k is normal redline.

-Greg
The ho only revs to 8k? I thought both the 998 and 1052 we're 10k redline and the 1.8L was 8k.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1052cc motors in the VXs with stock impellers redline at 8000. In the boats (my AR210) it seems to be closer to 8500 stock. The HOs with different rods redline at ~10k (same crank as the 1052cc).

Keep in mind the MR1s are based on the the R1s. In motorcycles they redline at 14k.

-Greg

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jgorm it's generally agreed that the 1052cc motors have better longevity than the higher RPM HO motors. A lot of this is belief is around the rental communities that routinely run them at 1500, 2000, even 3000 hours (who else runs those high hours?). But what we don't know is how many of them also put all their skis in learning/slo mode, be it for longevity or more likely safety. How much effect does the lower RPM have on longevity? Probably some, but who really knows.

-Greg