• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007 ar230 port side engine wont start

free07110

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Recently purchased a 07 ar230. Both engines fired up last month as I changed the oil. Last night got around to putting new plugs in for the season and found after plugs installed the left engine wont start. Cranks fine, wont run off starter spray. Other engine fires right up. It was late last night and gave up. I will look at it after work. I assuming its now getting spark since it didn't want with starter spray. I do know all coils had go connection at connectors and installed right spot. I will also pull a plug and check spark tonight. Any one run into or know common issues with these boats on a crank, no start issue.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check the kill switch lanyard. It has contacts for both engines and will let the starter crank but not let the engine start.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The kill switch lanyard disables spark to the plugs so it is a likely candidate.

But since this happened after changing the spark plugs I would be focused on potential issues with the spark plug wiring. Perhaps they are out of order which would be better than damaged.

free07110

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the lanyard switch was it then I think the other engine would start right? The other engine runs fine.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the lanyard switch was it then I think the other engine would start right? The other engine runs fine.
It is a single lanyard with a separate switch for each engine. So one engine can have an issue while the other does not.

If the ECU believed the cleanout hatch was open or that the boat was not in neutral the engine would not crank at all.

Your options are the lanyard switch, the plug wiring, possibly an ECU fuse under the round cover, possibly a ground or the ECU. Since you just changed the spark plugs my guess is the plug wires.

free07110

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well got home and started looking at the lanyard clip. Theguy I bought it from had a universal clip set. Found the one I used last night and tried it. Same deal one engine starts and the other doesn't. Tried the biggest clip and BAM is starts. Thanks for the insight on the two switch in one. I'm getting rid of all unnecessary clips on that key chain.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad you got it figured out @free07110. You're on your way to becoming a Jetboat expert. :winkingthumbsup"

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That advise from two of the experts here above, is why I LOVE this forum, and keep coming back. Just look out for all their mod. advise, it can get expensive.;) Ahh what the heck, just go for it.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@free07110
It is a good idea to exercise that switch to the limits of it's travel a couple times of year. I occasionally shoot some silicone into it as I pull it . This will keep it in good working order.

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone know where I can buy a kill switch lanyard ? I have two sets of keys and want an extra lanyard ??

Thanks

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Walmart, Amazon, west marine, Overtons... They're universal. Any of the ones that have multiple parts will work.