• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007 sx210 port engine starts and runs fine...starboard won't crank???

Matt Murphy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Guys,
Have had the boat 2 years, no problems other than the usual. The port engine cranks and fires after a few seconds. The starboard won't crank, runs in Florida saltwater and always flushed after use. Just installed 2 new batteries, but all connections are triple checked. Noticed 2 cut zip ties in the bilge from previous wiring work.
Last time out was many months ago, but remember first starting port engine with no problem, then trouble starting the starboard but eventually did after finding neutral or ??? Port engine starts and runs smooth, but I remember that the starboard had some rpm fluctuations when slow in the no wake zone that I could not figure out, but smoothed out after speeding up to 25 knots, so just kept running it so as not to panic the wife and kids and hope for the best. Have not had a chance to run it since then.

Now the starboard won't crank over.
Fuses are good.
Both cleanout hatch switches manually depressed, raised them a little anyway, no change.
Checked the neutral switch in the throttle quadrant and seems okay, even tried to jump it.
Pressed in the center throttle pivot button to override, nothing.
Sounds like the starboard solenoid is trying to contact, but no 5 second ECU hum like on the port side.
Checked and getting 12v to both fuse boxes.

Swapped the wiring harnesses with 4 connectors...turned the starboard key and the port engine cranks but won't fire. Turned port key and starboard engine clicks, but no starter engagement. Swapped harnesses back, same as before.
I swapped the ECUs, but no change...port started easy, starboard still won't crank.
Both engines have always started real quick, so the starter hasn't been abused much. Boat has about 160 hours on it.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Hector Corzo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would install a voltmeter at the starter and turn the key to see if you are getting any juice. I am thinking you have an electrical problem. make sure your spark plugs and connections are good. check and jump the clean out ports if necessary sometimes those micro switches don't make good contact.
Good luck.