• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007 SX230 Impeller Replacement Questions

gettingerb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Friend and I bought an 2007 SX230 with known impeller damage. We water tested the boat and only made 35 mph at WOT and it was very sluggish to get to plane. At that time we didn't know the impellers were damaged and almost walked on the deal. We pulled the boat onto a trailer and saw the impellers were trashed. From jet ski experience we knew how much this affects performance so we stuck with the deal at a steep discount. Boat is clean and great interior condition for a 2007 otherwise.

Engines made RPMs, started fine, sounded good, the air filters are clean and engine compartment looks good.

Impellers are pulled just waiting for replacement and removal tool to come in the mail. Initially I had ordered the OEM replacements from Yamaha Partshouse but then found out they were backordered until the end of August - not cool. The OEM impellers have different pitch for port and starboard.

Since I didn't want to wait over a month to use a boat I searched for an alternative impeller that could be quickly shipped and landed on this Adonis impeller from SBT. There is not a variant in the model for port and starboard, both will be the same. Yamaha Adonis Impeller 2008-2010 212SS/2008-2010 212X/2008-2009 232 LIMITED/2009 232 LIMITED S/2005-

Now for the questions:

1. Are identical impellers in port and starboard going to be problematic?
  2. Do I need to put anti-seize on the impeller threads before installing the new impeller?
  3. Can I grind down the damage on the old impellers with a bench grinder or a dremel and keep them as backups - how will they perform after that?
  4. Should I expect these new impellers puts the boat back near 50 mph?

1. 100904
  2. 100905100906

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those impellers look very very bad. If you clean them up in the bench you might get a LOT of performance back while you wait. The difference is about 500 RPMs for putting the wrong impeller. port needs a more aggresive impeller and starboard needs the softer one. I know now because I reversed them for a while. The boat is perfectly usable with the wrong impeller in the wrong side, just mismatched RPMs and confused operator as to the cause until you figure it out.

I tend to hoard spare parts when opportunity arises, as it turns out I have a set of good looking impellers that were used for about 5 months after being swapped at SBT. They look quite well. I had not planned on selling, but if you want to pay shipping both ways and want to leave a deposit in case you like them so much you don't want to give them back, I could part with them for a while so you can boat.

If the hull is perfectly clean, etc,etc, You should do 47 to 50 depending on many things. Mine has always been closer to 45, but my lake is a little dirty so my hull is rarely squeaky clean.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@gettingerb thanks for updating your location, I was going to ask about that,
Where do you normally boat in Houston?

I changed my impellers/shaft bearings over the winter, my old set was still usable (waiting to send them to impros to refinish) and I would have said you're welcome to borrow them and the removal tool,
here's my post on it

Have you checked any other suppliers? Yamahasportsplaza or partspak or even impros or solas?

you might want to pull the cone and look at the bearings on the shaft to see if the grease looks good and there's no water in there while you have it out,

be sure to look at the link in my signature below for known issues in our model boat,
especially the scupper valve and #3 spark plug becoming frozen in place,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can also call SBT, If they have them in Stock they can swap them, and they ship right away, on an exchange basis.

gettingerb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We called the local Yamaha dealers and they said that all the OEM replacement impellers are currently backordered until end of August right now, all suppliers apparently.

I talked to SBT and they said they wouldn't ship me the replacements until i mailed in the existing ones. They must have been concerned when i told them how tore up they were. ha!