• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007 trailer emergency brake cable pulled out, now what?

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To be honest, I don't even know the brand of our trailer. It is original to the 2007 AR 230. We "valet" our boat where they launch and pull us out of the marina, and the kid was in a hurry last weekend and forgot to unhook the small emergency brake cord. It is pulled out where I can see red on the cord, and I'm sure that means the brakes are locked. Is there an easy way to get around this so they can launch us this weekend? What do I need to do to fix this? I have searched the forum, but haven't found any good explanations on how to fix.

Thanks in advance!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To be honest, I don't even know the brand of our trailer. It is original to the 2007 AR 230. We "valet" our boat where they launch and pull us out of the marina, and the kid was in a hurry last weekend and forgot to unhook the small emergency brake cord. It is pulled out where I can see red on the cord, and I'm sure that means the brakes are locked. Is there an easy way to get around this so they can launch us this weekend? What do I need to do to fix this? I have searched the forum, but haven't found any good explanations on how to fix.

Thanks in advance!

Check out this video I think it will work. I’ll look at the trailer first thing in the morning to see if it’s the same on my 07 mfi trailer for my 230

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Check out this video I think it will work. I’ll look at the trailer first thing in the morning to see if it’s the same on my 07 mfi trailer for my 230
Thank you!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I THINK, you just slide the cable back in, push the actuator latch on the underside to release the actuator and you should be good,

I'd hook up to the trailer, look at the indicator lock out slot to see where the bolt is and slowly pull the trailer forward,

I tried a quick google search and of course MFI doesn't come up with anything,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
do they keep your boat at the marina or do you tow it home ?

You may need the clip, I try it yourself first, you should be able to pull it forward, although to keep the emergency cable working you may need to replace the clip,
https://jetboaters.net/threads/doh-surge-brake-reset.4747/

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just to follow up, I was able to push the little tab on the bottom of the trailer as depicted in the video above. It made a very loud click and we were able to back the trailer into the water. My question is this; If I don't get this fixed, do I still have surge brakes while under way? Or does that cord being pulled out indicate that the trailer brakes have been disabled?

Thanks @Scottintexas & @mark_m for your help.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just to follow up, I was able to push the little tab on the bottom of the trailer as depicted in the video above. It made a very loud click and we were able to back the trailer into the water. My question is this; If I don't get this fixed, do I still have surge brakes while under way? Or does that cord being pulled out indicate that the trailer brakes have been disabled?

Thanks @Scottintexas & @mark_m for your help.
Thinking about this question, I’m visualizing my emergency cable and believe the clip was broken on mine at some point too. Surge brakes work fine. I’d love to see what other emergency cables look like.

I’ve always thought the length was a bit excessive for its function. Nevertheless brakes work fine for me.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thinking about this question, I’m visualizing my emergency cable and believe the clip was broken on mine at some point too. Surge brakes work fine. I’d love to see what other emergency cables look like.

I’ve always thought the length was a bit excessive for its function. Nevertheless brakes work fine for me.
Thank you, I'll make it a winter project then. If the surge brakes wouldn't work at all with that pulled, I was going to have to go ahead and fix it, but there's no time in the schedule these days. I'll get to it over the winter.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you, I'll make it a winter project then. If the surge brakes wouldn't work at all with that pulled, I was going to have to go ahead and fix it, but there's no time in the schedule these days. I'll get to it over the winter.
On the cable there’s a white / red label thingy and a circular clip that probably pulled thru at some point in the past. I can shoot a pic next time I’m at the trailer if you want to see.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you want to know if your brakes are working just back up (gravel/dirt preferred but I've left a couple of skid marks on the driveway before I installed the 5pin plug) if the tires turn the brakes are not engaging, if they skid (only the tires on the axle with the brakes) they are working.

I would also take a look at the indicator where you put the lock out pin, if it's forward the actuator should be engaged (brakes engaged).

Your surge brakes probably are working with the reset,

I would worry your emergency cable doesn't work anymore until you reset that clip,

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I rebuilt mine on my 2018. Dealer tripped it, sh!theads. Just a little work and it can easily be rebuilt, I don’t trust it after it has been tripped. Could damage the internal cable functions. I figure it’s my liability to ensure the safety of it while I tow. I’d feel terrible if it didn’t work as intended because I didn’t fix it and someone got hurt.