• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 212x blown engine

Scott08-212x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I have a 2008 Yamaha 212x that just put a rod threw the block. I was out using it all day long with no issues. Then all the sudden when pulling up to the dock it just blew. Very strange. Had correct amount of oil, I use marine grade non-ethanol fuel. Boat is maintained impeccably. I was just wondering if anyone has had similar issues? Also does anyone know where I could get a maintenance book for the engine? Or have any tips on pulling the engine?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry we had to meet like this?

Where are you at?
How long have you owned the boat?

You may consider an engine from a ski,
If you get sbt the thought is get premium with warranty

It's rare we hear about a thrown rod, maybe once a year

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Only time I heard of a rod blowing in an M R 1 was when a friend ran the motor with a blown oil filter, then he replaced the oil filter and the oil and decided to run the engine thinking it was ok, it lasted a few minutes then threw a rod. That was johnny-o on the old site several years ago, just curious was it the number 3 cylinder that hatched?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have pulled a motor before And got a lot of great help from site members. The first step is determining your available hoist location. I did a mod to the garage before I worked on the boat. Here to help!
4FFA9667-E5B9-4C90-ADB9-FFD4F4BCFCAA.jpeg
329BCBD6-6092-4B53-9626-3F869F4C0F1A.jpeg9CA77437-4984-4327-BAF4-E7D1B2C6D414.jpeg

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had a 2008 212X throw a rod. Swapped it for an SBT rebuild and no issues for 300 hours (then sold it).

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here’s a how to remove an engine doc that I made unfortunately out of necessity a while back. It’s for a non-ho engine, but should be similar. Hope it helps.

pm me directly if you have any specific questions and I’ll do my best to help.

Attachments

Scott08-212x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Sorry we had to meet like this?

Where are you at?
How long have you owned the boat?

You may consider an engine from a ski,
If you get sbt the thought is get premium with warranty

It's rare we hear about a thrown rod, maybe once a year
I’m in South Carolina and I’ve owned to boat for about 6 months.
I what ski has the same engine?

Scott08-212x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Here’s a how to remove an engine doc that I made unfortunately out of necessity a while back. It’s for a non-ho engine, but should be similar. Hope it helps.

pm me directly if you have any specific questions and I’ll do my best to help.
Awesome thank you very much!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That will be my plan If ever needed. Waverunner prices have been stupid high over the summer but have started coming down the last few weeks as some people really want to ditch them now. I am in SC, so depending where, might be able to lend a hand.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That will be my plan If ever needed. Waverunner prices have been stupid high over the summer but have started coming down the last few weeks as some people really want to ditch them now. I am in SC, so depending where, might be able to lend a hand.
i ended up finding a used engine, from a waverunner, with about 120 hours on it shipped to my house for under 2k. It was a no brainer. Later I rebuilt my original and have it sitting, waiting. If anybody needs a non-ho engine, hit me up and we could probably work something out.

kamilo2000

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
i ended up finding a used engine, from a waverunner, with about 120 hours on it shipped to my house for under 2k. It was a no brainer. Later I rebuilt my original and have it sitting, waiting. If anybody needs a non-ho engine, hit me up and we could probably work something out.
Do you still have the engine?

Would it work on a 09 212 ss?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do still have it. It won’t work on a 212x. I plan on hanging onto it until I sell the boat. Hopefully I never need it. 🙏🏼