• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 WaveRunner troubles

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
BF3832EE-35D9-422C-81B5-0C2875DD71C7.jpeg Any ideas as to what is happening?
Last week I bought 2 2008 WaveRunners. A VX deluxe and VX cruiser. Each with around 140 hrs. Took them out and ran good for 2 hours. Brought home and changed plugs, oil, and filter. Pulled out cruiser air filter because oil was high on dipstick. Filter was soaked so I tossed it and did not replace. Decided to also remove ribbon at this time on cruiser. Had to pry it out. Good film of oil behind ribbon and I removed a few metal flakes from the ribbon. Took a good look and feel and did not see any other pieces. Put everything back together and put to river. Cruiser definitely had more power and went about 3 mph faster 52 on dash. After about 10 min power dropped to 30 mph with no oomph. Drove back to dock. Pulled plugs and all were pretty black for 10-15 minutes on them. Replaced plugs and went back out. 37 mph on dash but still a dog. Pulled plugs and all but second from stern look good. Pulled pump and nothing there. Waiting on adapter to check compression. Did I screw something up?pic is of plugs after 20 min of driving at full throttle, 35-37 mph.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don’t think you screwed anything up, just the way it already is. No.3 is usually the problem child cylinder. You definitely need to check compression on all but 3 looks to have an issue going on (exhaust valve sticking) with that much oil it starts to have trouble firing after the plug fouls. If you suspect ignition is intermittent, you could swap coils and start with clean plugs again to see if the plug on the original coil gets dirty (I think that is unlikely).

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, aren’t those plugs supposed to be cr9eb?

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Yes. I was told to try these cr8eb. Someone’s said they may hold up better over at greenhulk. Apparently can handle higher temps. Don’t know if that is true.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know a lot of folks do the 'ribbon delete', but that's your flame arrestor. I never really liked the idea of deleting my flame arrestor for 1-2mph. Did you use a kit? Does the ski idle correctly now? If you don't use a kit and use the PVC pipe technique, it's easy to introduce an air leak.

I would change the plugs back to cr9eb's, double check the oil level when warm, and also get your injectors cleaned and spray tested. I use injectorrx.com. Cheap and quick turn around. Be sure to ask for a before/after test. And as others have said, do a compression test.

-Greg

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's either a bad oil leak, injector is dumping way too much fuel, or the compression is so bad it won't fire. As mentioned, change back to the stock heat range plugs. Check oil level and smell oil for gasoline contamination.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I will do come compression test tomorrow and report back. Hoping it is ok.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't think ribbon delete was helping anything in MR-1s...
It is a must-do in N/A 1.8.

--

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Idk. Just saw a guy on YouTube do it and thought why not. Probably just getting rid of the oil soaked from later would have been enough.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's this the mr1? If so i got 10 bucks it's the exhaust valves leaking or stuck on #3.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Yes mr1. Did compression test. 160-170 on all cylinders. I know that is good but question is what is the problem now?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's either a bad oil leak, injector is dumping way too much fuel, or the compression is so bad it won't fire. As mentioned, change back to the stock heat range plugs. Check oil level and smell oil for gasoline contamination.
I think you change your oil to make sure that's ok and wonder that injector is dumping fuel and get your injectors clean /tested maybe swap the coils to be sure your getting spark

do you have a yds?

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve checked spark. All coils fire. Can I switch out injectors and see if that solves problem. Take one off other Waverunner and swap them? I do not have yds. No codes showing when I check on display.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I also added a full bottle of seafoam to 1/2 tank before I ran it. Could that have screwed up something? Maybe knocked something loose? Idk.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Switched up injectors and placed new plugs. Ran on hose for 30 min. Plugs look ok. Not sure if failure happens under load. Will take out to river Sunday.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
4CF4A87E-D74E-44D6-916D-9F7ACC3D67EA.jpeg Update. Still fouling same plug. Not nearly as bad this time. Plug sparks when I test it but it looks fouled. Checked oil level and slightly high. Removed 1/2 quart. Plug doesn’t look oily and definitely not wet. Compression is good son all cylinders. Plug sparks in ignition coil but I now wonder if coil could be bad just enough to cause rapid fouling of plug. I switched fuel injectors around and that didn’t do anything. Next step is to swap a coil from my other ski and see if that makes a difference. If this doesn’t work I guess off to the mechanic for half the summer. I would think since compression is same on all cylinders shouldn’t be a major issue? Never get up to full rpms. Seems to never have power to that cylinder.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd recommend you move this thread over to greenhulk.net, in the Yamaha 4-stroke Performance section. Lots of experienced folks over there.

-Greg

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you swapped the injector and it didn't follow that rules those out. It could be the coil, but if it's sparking, then it's unlikely (but worth ruling out). If it's not that, it's probably a bad valve seal leaking in oil, or a sticky exhaust valve that works sometimes. I think both of my waverunner with the mr1 do that. It's like an in off switch where i gain 5mph and 1000 rpms. Very noticeable. It can't really be any other sensor because it's specific to one cylinder.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A compression test can fool you. A real test is a cylinder leak down test. If there is a problem area it will narrow it down

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Guy at greenhulk also suggested could be ecu? I think I’ll swap the ecu from other one and see what happens.