• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 Yamaha 212x - Surfing?

TWebb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2008 212x in hopes of becoming more involved in watersports, specifically surfing. I can easily surf behind a friend's Axis wakeboat, however my surf wave is far too "dirty" to surf easily and consistently. I believe the 212x is the same for 2008-10. If you fall in this group, what do you use to clean up and better your surf wave?

Thanks.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Start with the WakeWedge from @jcyamaharider. It's a must on the twin engine boats for surfing. Next step would be the swim deck bag, which you can also get from @jcyamaharider. I have a 2013 212x, with both of those products, and you can see my wave below. It's actually a bit better now than in the pic, but still, No problem surfing ropeless, for anyone.IMG-20180512-WA0007.jpg

TWebb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Start with the WakeWedge from @jcyamaharider. It's a must on the twin engine boats for surfing. Next step would be the swim deck bag, which you can also get from @jcyamaharider. I have a 2013 212x, with both of those products, and you can see my wave below. It's actually a bit better now than in the pic, but still, No problem surfing ropeless, for anyone.View attachment 78656
How much total ballast do you have?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Right now, factory ballast + the swim deck bag. Factory for me is 400lbs under each rear seat. The swim deck bag is around 750 lbs. The difference in the wave, with and without the swim deck bag, is night and day. I had the WakeWedge before I got the swim deck bag and there was still no chance to surf ropeless. Swim deck bag made a huge difference.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@TWebb I have the same boat. The Wake Wedge will make a big improvement. I just run factory ballast only filling the port bag and can go ropeless. But like @Scottie said the bag on the platform should complete your needs.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@TWebb glad to have you on board, it's not a dedicated surf boat it's an all around good boat,

be sure to look at the link in my signature for known issues about your model boat, especially the scupper valve and being careful with the #3 spark plug,