• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2009 212SS Port Engine Wont Start

Scottreaux

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
SO I have read many responses on many question and have tried everything that was suggested, but I am still not able to start my port engine. I am hopping you can help me with my trouble. I will first say sorry this might be long but I want to make sure you have all the info.
Our boat has 416 hours, and we have enjoyed it very much. We had a "hurricane" first of July hit us here in the Florida Keys. We didn't pull the boat out because it was not a strong storm. At some point in the night with all the rain, the two bulge pumps tripped the breaker and stopped working. The engine compartment flooded and a small amount of water got into the port motor. I did an oil change and ran the boat for about an hour. She ran great, and I checked oil after and there was no water left in it. She sat for two days before we were able to take her out again. She was a little hard to start but started up after a few minutes of cranking. We went for a ride for about 20 minutes, and stopped at one of our fav spots. When it was time to go it wouldn't start at all. Cranked up the only running motor and slowly made our way home, whole time heading home i would try and crank her and after about 45 minutes she cranked. We made it the rest of the way home, and the next day I changed the oil to again get the water out that had gotten in because of running on the one engine. After changing the oil, she won't crank. Below is a list of everything i have tried based on answers I have seen on this site.
1 cleaned battery cables
2 changed plugs
3 swapped the two "kill switches" in back hatches
4 checked fuses
5 checked front kill switch by pulling it all the way out with a pair of pliers. and turning it over
6 all cylinder's have 150 PSI
7 I took a spark plug out, and leaned in on the head, and turned it over, looks like i am not getting spark.
I just don't know what else I can do.
Any HELP????

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My guess would be your starter solenoid. Check to see if you have power to the starter(big main wire) and then have someone try to start it and see if you get power to the exciter wire(small wire on solenoid) & if both get power, try smacking it with a screwdriver handle and see if it will start. This will tell you if it is having issues before or at the starter.

Scottreaux

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
My guess would be your starter solenoid. Check to see if you have power to the starter(big main wire) and then have someone try to start it and see if you get power to the exciter wire(small wire on solenoid) & if both get power, try smacking it with a screwdriver handle and see if it will start. This will tell you if it is having issues before or at the starter.
Motor turns over fine, just wont start (run)

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Try swapping the ECU's yet?

Scottreaux

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Nope, I understand that is not an easy thing to do, but guess I will have to try