• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2010 242 limited. No power

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have just changed out starter and that’s not the issue still no power to motor.I’m getting power to starter but nothing after ! I have checked Ignition switch. Cut off switch on back platform . Neutral assembly in gear box and nothing . I’m so confused I checked and replaced all fuses. Please lead me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a funky main fuse somewhere in the battery compartment, @Julian would know, but I don;t know if that's a new model thing only. It's an unusual looking fuse box.

If your starter works, does that mean the engine cranks? Does the other engine start?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Are you in neutral? How about the lanyard/kill switch? Hope you find the problem soon.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When you say you checked the switches.....did you actually bypass these switches. My previous boat I owned 24years..... I had bypass terminals set up so in a no start I could bypass quickly the Neutral , Lanyard and in Alpha Merc drive the Momentary engine cut off to allow gears to mesh. ARE you getting power to Radio/Bilge pump blowers ect.............that at lease shows you Main Batt switch and Battery is working!

I with swatski do engines crank over or a no crank. Both engine no crank or just one.

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There is a funky main fuse somewhere in the battery compartment, @Julian would know, but I don;t know if that's a new model thing only. It's an unusual looking fuse box.

If your starter works, does that mean the engine cranks? Does the other engine start?
When you say you checked the switches.....did you actually bypass these switches. My previous boat I owned 24years..... I had bypass terminals set up so in a no start I could bypass quickly the Neutral , Lanyard and in Alpha Merc drive the Momentary engine cut off to allow gears to mesh. ARE you getting power to Radio/Bilge pump blowers ect.............that at lease shows you Main Batt switch and Battery is working!

I with swatski do engines crank over or a no crank. Both engine no crank or just one.
Yes I bypassed all switches . And only port side cranks and starts no problems! Absolutely nothing when I turn key . No noise nothing when I crank starboard. Checked fuse panel , amd all fuses were good ?

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes I bypassed all switches . And only port side cranks and starts no problems! Absolutely nothing when I turn key . No noise nothing when I crank starboard. Checked fuse panel , amd all fuses were good ?

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Also all my Auxiliary'sare working. Lights radio shower pump Bilge pump. Checked power all the way to starter and I’m getting power to starter but nothing after ?

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Also all my Auxiliary'sare working. Lights radio shower pump Bilge pump. Checked power all the way to starter and I’m getting power to starter but nothing after ?

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

Please let me know about another fuse box . Also port cranks no problem and turns over perfectly. Starbohas no power while cranking . Checked power to starter and I’m good but nothing after starter ?

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Please let me know about another fuse box . Also port cranks no problem and turns over perfectly. Starbohas no power while cranking . Checked power to starter and I’m good but nothing after starter ?

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Are you in neutral? How about the lanyard/kill switch? Hope you find the problem soon.
Yes I have checked neutral and even switched to port side on Ignition switch and still no power checked safety cut off in back and nothing too. I’m so confused . I even changed out starter and bought new one put it in and nothing .. I want to cry !!

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes I have checked neutral and even switched to port side on Ignition switch and still no power checked safety cut off in back and nothing too. I’m so confused . I even changed out starter and bought new one put it in and nothing .. I want to cry !!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It’s sounds like the safety on the engine that won’t crank is engaged. It could be as simple as the safety trigger on the clean out port hatch is not being pushed down far enough to disengage. Did you adjust it so that more of the button is exposed /is being pushed down far enough to disengage? The throttle on the engine not cranking may not be in neutral either. That is it may look and or feel like it’s in neutral but the safety in the mechanism doesn’t recognize it because the cable/throttle isn’t where it should be to disengage the safety.

just last weekend my son and I had to pull the clean out plugs to clear vegetation from both pumps. He forgot to turn the latch on the swim deck hatch so the engine on that side of the swim deck would not crank. Turning that latch only lowered the clean out deck lid a fraction of an inch but it was enough to disengage the safety to allow the engine to start.

keep at it, I think and hope that Your persistence will pay off soon.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I know you’re saying you’re checking the safety switch in the back but you still haven’t indicated that you’ve checked the lanyard kill switch at the throttle. Double check that so that each engine is engaged there.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like you've already eliminated the fuses as you have power. Have you gone through the engine not starting diagnostic in the FAQ?

So if the starter has power....I assume the engine is turning over but not firing?
Do you have spark?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What's the voltage on your cranking battery?

Checked starter relay?

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
12.4 while turning key

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Sounds like you've already eliminated the fuses as you have power. Have you gone through the engine not starting diagnostic in the FAQ?

So if the starter has power....I assume the engine is turning over but not firing?
Do you have spark?
Not cranking at all port is firing up no problem

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I know you’re saying you’re checking the safety switch in the back but you still haven’t indicated that you’ve checked the lanyard kill switch at the throttle. Double check that so that each engine is engaged there.
I have checked lanyard . Port still cranks but turns off gas so it won’t turn over starboard still no power at all while lanyard is out

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have checked lanyard . Port still cranks but turns off gas so it won’t turn over starboard still no power at all while lanyard is out
Maybe I’m misinterpreting what your saying. You’re saying there’s no power when lanyard is out. That’s how that is suppose to work. Lanyard must be in though for it to get power. Just saying that in case there’s some confusion about that.