• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2011 242 Limited S - engines not synced

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, I took our 2011 out yesterday to get her ready for summer and run her a bit. I noticed the right engine is almost 1000 rpm lower than the left engine when running between 5-6k rpms. I have to hold the right throttle forward to get them in sync. Has anyone seen this before? ... and do you know a solution.

Thanks,

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Will from JetBoat pilot put up a video showing how to sync the throttles at the engine. He was getting feedback after customers bought the throttle lock that your experience was common. I have the same issue, but have worked with it. I did find that after following the instructions on their youtube channel, that mine were synced. So maybe one engine is in need of plugs/service.

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the message. I found the link and it was very informative. I was talking with Will yesterday and he suggested I replace the throttle cables (they're old and getting heavy). Before I synchronize them I want to change the cables. Do you have any experience with that? I didn't see a video on how to change them.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the message. I found the link and it was very informative. I was talking with Will yesterday and he suggested I replace the throttle cables (they're old and getting heavy). Before I synchronize them I want to change the cables. Do you have any experience with that? I didn't see a video on how to change them.
To be honest unless you are having issues that have gotten noticeably worse over time I wouldn't mess with replacing the throttle cable. It also appears super easy to synchronize at the cable on your model. I don't know if you are considering the throttle sync product but $150 seems like a complete waste of money IMO, but folks can spend the money how they see fit.

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
scokill - thanks for the message. Re: the throttle, I've noticed that it's gotten heavier to control over the past few years. I originally thought it might need grease or something like that, but I didn't really have a clue. Will said replacing the cables would probably ease the heaviness, but honestly, I don't know what all goes into that.

If you have a suggestion to take the heaviness out of the throttle I'm all ears.

With respect to the the throttle sync, I recognize it's not a "have to" item, but I like the concept, so I'll probably buy it anyway.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did the throttle drop fix on my boat this weekend. It opened my eyes as to how simple these things are and it gave me a better understanding of how they work and need to be maintained.

I too noticed that my throttles were way too stiff, only to find that previous owners my have been experiencing the throttle drop and tightening the tension on the throttles to fix the issues. I took them apart, fixed the throttle drop and then loosened the tension. Now they move like butter, and I don't expect to have the 500rpm drop issue either.

So to start, pop the panel off the backside of the throttle assembly and loosen the two throttle tension screws with a flat blade screwdriver. And test them out. tighten them to the point that the throttle holds position. With looser throttles, you will find that syncing them at the handle is much easier, as they move easier. If you experience drop, or they won't hold throttle, then you may need to add back tension, and for sure do the throttle drop fix.

Good luck.

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When you say throttle assembly, do you mean at the throttles, or by the engine? I'm a visual learner. Maybe some pics? thanks.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh no, I meant by the engine. The assemblies on the engine bay walls in the video from Jetboat pilot. I should have been more clear, as that is the only real adjustment on these. At least they made it easy to get at.