• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2011 242LS Stereo wiring

Tyler83

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey guys wondering if you could help me out. Just bought this boat and went to install a new Fusion Apollo 670 in it and found the factory stereo harness looks to be gone. Like has been cut out. The previous owner powered the Kenwood head unit off of the power and ground to the cheap amp he had under the helm. There are lots of cut wires under the helm but I cannot seem to get 12v from any of them. So couple of questions

Do these boats have a constant 12v wire and a 12v ignition wire to over the head unit?
If so, what color should they be? And if ithey don’t have power where should I look to rectify that?

I found a 10ga power and ground wires running by their selves from the house battery to the panel where the switch for the navigation lights etc are located. Is this factory? I figured if it were they would be in the main harness.
I may just start from scratch as I am also installing 2 wet sounds amps and 6 wet sound revo6 speakers.

trying to attach pictures of what I’ve found to give you an idea of what I’m trying to clean up.

Attachments

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2010 242 LS but the wiring should be the same as in your boat.

I replaced the stock sound with a fusion 670, 1 wired remote, 2 wireless remotes and all new speakers powered by three amps. The stock unit had four channels split into eight to cover the tower and swim deck speakers. It pretty much sucked, the zone control on mine never worked and the built in iPhone holder was outdated quickly when Apple switched to the lightning connection. Briefly stated, I understand why your boats previous owner replaced it.

the sound system is not constantly powered but is powered up thought the house switch. That is, when the house switch is engaged the stereo is powered. I don’t think it’s a direct connnection. The house switch powers up the dash and the dash the hu.
if you are replacing everything anyway I recommend that you just add new power and ground leads to the new HU as well.

Last edited:

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Below are pictures of the OEM setup (4 speakers only) in my 2011 SX240 that may be of help. As @Ronnie said, you should run new wiring from the battery to your amps/HU, so that it can handle the higher current. I would try to used the current speaker wires, but it will also be suggested by pros to replace those too.
IMG_0469.JPG

Tyler83

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Below are pictures of the OEM setup (4 speakers only) in my 2011 SX240 that may be of help. As @Ronnie said, you should run new wiring from the battery to your amps/HU, so that it can handle the higher current. I would try to used the current speaker wires, but it will also be suggested by pros to replace those too.
View attachment 155509
Thank you so much for this picture this is going to be a big help I can already see some issues I need to resolve on mine.
Does anyone know if there is a fuse block or anything at the back of the boat? None of the wires that should have 12v have 12v at the helm, hence why they ran a new power wire I guess.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Tyler83 search for threads on voltage, battery, and/or master switch problems. They can help you troubleshoot the situation based on the specific voltage you are getting. At a high level you should make sure the batteries aren’t the issue before getting into other things (and doing that can be tricky).

There is a fuse block by the ECU. There is only like 5 fuses per ECU. If you haven’t noticed, each switch at the helm has a breaker that you can reset with the neighboring push button.