• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2012 AR190. Possible buy

BigAl1990

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys. I’ve been doing some serious lurking and reading and I’ve been looking to buy an AR190 and I’ve found one close by that I’m interested in. It’s a 2012 with 32 hours on it. Looks clean. Seats all in great shape. Has the nice towing cover. I’d been looking at 2016+ models. I really liked the wake tower on them. What do I need to know about a 2012? Anything to avoid? What are the differences between it and a newer model?

Thanks for all the help! Y’all sense of community is fantastic!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The drive train should be the same on those years.
If I were you I would heck the classified section here and there were at least 2 of them for sale in the recent months. One I think was @ArmyChief and there was another one in Orlando.

If you can be patient until September or October you might be able to get a real good deal.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hey guys. I’ve been doing some serious lurking and reading and I’ve been looking to buy an AR190 and I’ve found one close by that I’m interested in. It’s a 2012 with 32 hours on it. Looks clean. Seats all in great shape. Has the nice towing cover. I’d been looking at 2016+ models. I really liked the wake tower on them. What do I need to know about a 2012? Anything to avoid? What are the differences between it and a newer model?

:Welcome: to the community! The major difference in the 190's prior to '16 is the lack of the articulating keel (AK)! Other than that just color schemes and from what I have seen the wake towers have changed which way they lean. We have a '13 so no AK but that can be overcome with either the Cobra Jet Steering (CJS) systems or the JetBoat Pilot Thrust Vectors (TV's). Our boat was equipped with the TV's and while they helped, we went with the CJS vipers with megafangs and it has really changed the way the boat handles at all speeds and somewhat in reverse. Good luck in your search, the folks here are very knowledgable so don't be shy about asking...especially once you buy and the upgrades start :winkingthumbsup"

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

The one think about the 2012 190 I used to have was it was loud, like stupid loud. I think they got working on that a little bit in later models, primarily 240s but that is definitely something you would want to experience - a test drive highly recommended.

--

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Besides the tower and keel, there’s nothing different except you’ll probably pay $10k less for the 2012.

Last edited:

BigAl1990

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The one think about the 2012 190 I used to have was it was loud, like stupid loud. I think they got working on that a little bit in later models, primarily 240s but that is definitely something you would want to experience - a test drive highly recommended.

--
Are there any sound deadening options? Some sort of mat to line it engine area with? Anyone tried that?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When @swatski was talking that he really has been involved in such project. My understanding is that his 190 was turning to a recording studio by the time he sold his. He can tell you all about the insulating crap he put on

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are there any sound deadening options? Some sort of mat to line it engine area with? Anyone tried that?
Yes, installing engine hatch seal helps a lot, and filling large voids along the engine bay and bulkheads with foam helps, too.

--

BigAl1990

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like I’m going to go take it for a spin on Wednesday! Does 17k sound like a good deal to y’all?

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Buy it.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Go pokes !!!!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Looks like I’m going to go take it for a spin on Wednesday! Does 17k sound like a good deal to y’all?
Just remembered another difference, may or may not be a big deal but last week a member @Frints did note that he was "missing" a battery switch, when we looked at the parts for the '12 sure enough the switch was not included in standard equipment, apparently the 2013's forward have them. It's a small item to note but if you are going to be storing the boat over the winter then it could make a difference in how you approach storage.
Good luck with the sea trial today if you already haven't looked at here's a decent article about SEATRIALS and Things often overlooked

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scott Huse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

32 hours isn't even used. I have a 2017 AR195 I bought in April of this year that has more than that. Make sure when you take it for a test drive you check the seals, with that little of use they could have dried and won't work properly.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

32 hours isn't even used. I have a 2017 AR195 I bought in April of this year that has more than that. Make sure when you take it for a test drive you check the seals, with that little of use they could have dried and won't work properly.
Totally agree with this. Where is the boat stored? Outside or inside? In this Oklahoma heat, I would look at seals like Scott said, also the interior. It could probably use some 303 interior cleaner with UV protectant. Trailer tires might be another issue with dry rot.

Last edited: