• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2012 AR240 Automatic Bilge Pump

mdownesx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was winterizing my AR 240 this weekend and wanted to test the bilge pump. I have an automatic Rule 500 gph pump. When I turn the switch on, the pump will start pumping, but when I added water to the hull to simulate it taking on water it just stopped. Also, if i run it with water in the hull it will run for a short amount of time and then shut off but all the water is not gone. Is this a sign that the pump is going?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think you are adding enough water to actually engage the pump. These pumps will cycle every 2-3 minutes or so to check for water, and if it senses water it will keep pumping. It takes a bit of water to actually get it to pump and will not get all of the water out.

mdownesx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK - thanks for this advice. I will try that in the Spring when I take it out of storage.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
here is a link from our FAQ about bilge pumps and alarms,
https://jetboaters.net/faq/how-to-install-a-secondary-bilge-pump-bilge-alarms.47/

If I understood correctly the rule senses resistance on the impeller to tell if it should stop pumping,

You didn't say how much water was left in the bilge when it stopped, trace amounts or half way up the pump??

You could take the bilge pump out, it twists off the base and run it in a bucket of water to test it,

I believe a secondary bilge pump and bilge alarm are great insurance for our boats,