• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 242 LS Amp install question

dbrock34

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I started my amp install project today and got all of the speaker wires labeled to start hooking them up to the amp and I realized the speakers on the swim deck must be tied into the rear cockpit speakers. Has everyone else just left them wired that way or did you run new wire from swim deck speakers all the way to the amp? I bought an MBQuart 6 channel amp and had planned on hooking every speaker except the tower tweeters to it's own channel. Any thoughts on whether I should leave them as is and only use 4 channels or run new wires?
Thanks

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hate to say it, but I would run new wires. Otherwise you will not be able to adjust the swim deck separate from the cockpit rear at the amp...

If you gotta tie two together, I would do the cockpits, as they are similar (or the same) drivers in similar locations. Towers are going to be very different. Platform is in a very different environment.

My 2 cents...

dbrock34

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick reply. Thats kind of what I was thinking but was hoping to take the easy way out.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had the same issue. From the factory the front speakers are wired with the tweeters like components. I had to unhook the crossover in rear on both sides to unhook the tweeters. This leaves the front two on one channel and the rear and swim platform on the rear channel. I have a 6 channel wet sounds amp and still have one channel free. I plan on running all new wires in the near future.

dbrock34

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought about doing all of that also. I ran out of time today and want to be on the water Saturday so I left everything wired as it was and just used 4 channels. It sounds 2000 percent better and I could turn the volume up to 40 without it popping and cutting out so I'll probably leave it as is for now. I noticed my tweeters in the tower are crossed... left works with right channel and right with left channel. It was that way before I hooked to the amp. I didn't even mess with those. I'm guessing they are crossed in the plug where they enter the boat from the tower. We'll test it on the water and see if I need to run the new speaker wire so I can control the swim platform speakers seperately.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad it sounds better. My tweeters over powered the rest of the speakers as they are closer to my head. Once they were disconnected it sounded much better. I also have a 10" powered wet sounds sub on the way. This will leave one channel left for a later tower speaker upgrade.

mtnv900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ran new speaker wire to all speakers when i installed the amp. I have the tower tweeters hooked up to the head unit and i think they sound ok with this setup. Hated them before i got the amp. I have the 6 channel jl and its great to be able to isolate the cockpit speakers or the swim deck. If my wife is setting on the swim deck and the speakers are on she always complains she cant hear the conversations.