• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 Port tachometer digital screen 242 Limited S

RM1313!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking for some help with my port tachometer. 2013 242 LS and the port tachometer digital screen will briefly work when the engine starts and then it fades to nothing. I thought Faria made the gauge for this year but found out they do not. A replacement is a crazy price especially compared to the starboard one.

Anyone know who can possibly repair it? Is there a alternative replacement?
Thanks for the help.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see this is sitting out there for a while without reply. Apologies!

I think the port tach on this is the same as my 2012. Have not heard of this particular problem yet. When you say it briefly works and fades to nothing--does it fade to black or fade to blank? How long does it last before it fades when it starts?

Does the tach continue to work when the display fades?

Don't know of a replacement (long shot at that). But I do know that the tach is connected to the bus that provides communication throughout the boat. If the tach still works, my bet is that something is wrong with the connections rather than the tach. But that is just a hunch.

RM1313!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply! The tachometer needle continues to work without any issue. The screen fades to nothing. If I push either the M or T button the screen with briefly turn black then back to nothing. I almost think it has a loose connection internally. If I could figure out how to open the tach I could check all wires and solder connections.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh! No, the contrast is off, I bet. These are LCD displays, so what you are seeing is the little crystals flipping. Except the contrast (which is adjustable) makes it so that the thing is providing too much power and 'flipping' them too far. If you get at a good angle to it (above, below or to one of the sides), you probably will be able to see it much better.

Got the manual handy? See page 2-11 on how to adjust the contrast. Go to the menu, 2nd item, use M and T buttons to go up and down.

See if that works.

RM1313!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No luck. Started it this weekend and same as before. No screen bu teach needle works. If I push M the screen goes dark for a few seconds then back to blank. Thanks for the idea though.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rats. Thought for sure that was it. You might be down to replacing the tach, then.

RM1313!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone know if the tachometer from the 2013 AR240 will work in the 2014 242LS? Part numbers for the AR240 is F3H-U8245-00-00
The part number for the 242 is F3H-U8245-20-00
thanks for the help!