• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014-2015 Yamaha SVHO motor issue (severe)

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gents,

As you guys know me, I am one person that digs deep into the internet and manuals to find out issues, and flaws in just about everything I have. I have been doing some research on the new SVHO engine that I love in my waverunner, and found a major flaw that Yamaha will not admit to, but knows about.

The timing chain on these engines is a ticking timebomb. Its not if it goes, its when. Some people have had them tear apart within 30 hours, and some after about 70 hours. Its just a matter of time.

Yamaha will warranty the repair, and replace the head and short block with the new 2016 redesign. The whole SVHO engine changed part numbers after this redesign. But, to avoid lawsuits, Yamaha will not admit the issue.

The good news if there is any about this issue is the SVHO 1.8ltr engine is non interference, and the valves will not smack the pistons. When this happens, it will not be a catastrophic failure. The engine will shut off, and will not start, but will crank. The way to diagnose the issue is opening the oil fill, crank the engine and look for valve movement. If none, then welcome to the broken chain club.

Until there is a recall on this from Yamaha, do not purchase a 2014-15 SVHO waverunner. This engine is currently used in the FX series, and the outgoing FZ series.

The new 2016 models have the new updated engine, and so far have been working flawlessly. Shame on Yamaha for opening a page off of Sea Doss' book. I expected more from a reputable company.

Now the wait begins on when my ski will leave me stranded in the water. Sigh.....

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is also a known fault with 2009 to 2012 SHO engines regarding the supercharger clutch, when it goes bang it's a full engine rebuild as all the debris in the oil.
Strange how Yamaha get a tag for reliability then off shoots like this arise. On another note, there was a big discussion about the FZR/S "bucking", few said the intake grate needed to be changed, I would WOT my FZR and have the constant thought of being thrown, but then again, water is such a unpredictable substance that I put the bucking issue down to riders fault.

Can you not just change your chain before anything happens @ScarabMike

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm the same way. I actually posted about this issue in the 192 forum back in August, that's why I bought a VXR.

Did none of the 15's get the updated parts? Seems you got yours pretty late in the model year, maybe it's updated already?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Britboater Im sure that I could do it, but I refuse to spend cash repairing a brand new ski. Mine doesnt bounce at all. It rides smooth as silk.

@veedubtek not really sure. But i guess I can call them and find out. Thats if they give out that information since they are trying to be hush about the whole situation.

ajc5257

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
@ScarabMike I hope yours doesn't break down, because it really sucks, but mine did. 2014 FX SVHO 36 hours, just happened in September. You mention a 2016 rebuild for the 2014/2015 models that have the timing chain break. Where did you get this information and can you please send it to me? My dealer had heard the same thing but when I call Yamaha (once a week for a month with no returns), they finally told me the rebuild is not available and they will only replace the same parts as original. This is a problem for me. I've been pushing for the rebuild but they say it doesn't exist. Any more information you have on this would be awesome. Thanks.

Kevin1741

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im looking to buy a 2014 VXR. Should i be concerned or is this a super charged issue?

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can I fix this before it happens? I have a 2015 svho engine.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was just looking at the FX SVHO. Maybe SeaDoo is the better option?

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
From what I read its an early batch of timing chains that were failing. Im hoping mine is one of the later models I did buy it in 2015. Im going to ask a friend who owns the dealership where I Bought mine see what he says. The ski is amazing I can say that for sure. So until it breaks I have no complaints.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There is also a known fault with 2009 to 2012 SHO engines regarding the supercharger clutch, when it goes bang it's a full engine rebuild as all the debris in the oil.
Strange how Yamaha get a tag for reliability then off shoots like this arise. On another note, there was a big discussion about the FZR/S "bucking", few said the intake grate needed to be changed, I would WOT my FZR and have the constant thought of being thrown, but then again, water is such a unpredictable substance that I put the bucking issue down to riders fault.

Can you not just change your chain before anything happens @ScarabMike
Can you shoot me a link to the thread or give me some more info on the SHO supercharger problem. I'm thinking maybe I should just go a head and upgrade...

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
From what I read its an early batch of timing chains that were failing. Im hoping mine is one of the later models I did buy it in 2015. Im going to ask a friend who owns the dealership where I Bought mine see what he says. The ski is amazing I can say that for sure. So until it breaks I have no complaints.
When you get the 411 please share. I talked to my wife this morning about making a purchase. I would rather have the SVHO vs the SeaDoo...

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Imo the sho should be upgraded with a turbo anyways.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you shoot me a link to the thread or give me some more info on the SHO supercharger problem. I'm thinking maybe I should just go a head and upgrade...
If you search the greenhulk pwc site there's plenty of S/C failures and remadies. I had a 2010 FZR with 70 hours and had no problems but I did also off load it before any could appear.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Slugger55 if you are going to purchase now it should be fine apparently they upgraded the chain in the latest model skis. Some say this is a cover up, while others say not a cover up and for 2017 they are making a serious hp ski that require the heavy duty chains so they are putting them in current svhos now. I'm waiting on more info from my friend.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@elcue Thanks for the 411, standing by for the rest of the details...

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How do you secure your front one @ScarabMike ? I use the tow hook on the rear, but haven't found something I like for the front yet. I saw @robert843 using a bungee for his, which seemed to work awesome, but I'm looking at all options.