• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 242 Limited S 6 mx650’s NO AMP!

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here I was planning to get two amp’s, sub, towers, and the 650’s, but for sake of time and blown speakers started with the mx650’s. Could not believe how good they sound without an amp!

I don’t know what gives, this system sounds awesome, even without an amp, just the speakers being replaced!

New to boating, but have done many car stereos in my past. I’d never considering just replacing speakers alone, but now I’m thinking I may only need a sub/amp combo to add in.

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When I got in my car after being out on boat all day I quickly realized why everyone says you need an amp ... that said it’s still good enough for now.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
100% agree... I was shocked how big of a difference they made off factory head unit. Added an amp and its just as different.

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Which amp did you add? Did you also add a sub?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Which amp did you add? Did you also add a sub?
All info is in my sig... but basically 5 Kicker PXA amps and a JL 10IB5 (have another waiting to be put in)

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If your looking for a cheap amp to throw in that will improve your sound, don't overlook this Clarion unit... $139 and can run your whole setup.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow....those lil things put out some nice power...he could run 2 of those and drive an entire system for basically less than 1 JL amp...not bad....should sound even better too once its amplified.

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wow great find! Had been going back and forth between expensive JL and cheap amazon amps with good reviews, but this closes the deal for sure.

May have to do 2 of them with a sub and towers.

Run separate channels for each speaker (6), then get a set of towers (8 total), and one sub for now, 2nd one down the line.

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oh boy... just ordered two of those clarion amps, an 8" bazooka box, and about $350 worth of wiring from KruKoncepts. Totally forgot about Kru, I used them for a car install a while ago and forgot how nice some of their products are!

So plan is, dedicated channel to each of the 6 speakers, plus dedicated channel to the sub. This leaves me with some upgrade capacity to add towers and a 2nd sub in the future. Can't wait to start the build :)

BTW - I called Crutchfield and they matched the Amazon price for me. They couldn't believe how low Amazon was selling it for.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats and good luck with the build!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have two of those little clarions, the xc1410 models, and had another two in my previous boat as well. They are fantastic. Run great at 4 and 2 ohms. Zero issues.

--

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have 6 MX650’s and one Bazooka MBT8014, but 10 channels. Part of me is thinking buy a set of towers and a 10” or 12” sub that I’ll custom mount it. The other side which saves money, thinking maybe bridge the 4 channels on one of the amps and send 150 watts to the bow installed mx650’s which is probably overkill.

Guess this is a luxury problem, trying to figure out what to do with my extra 3 channels ...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_020XC2510/Clarion-XC2510.html?tp=115

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_204MBT8014/Bazooka-MBT8014.html?tp=61750

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have 6 MX650’s and one Bazooka MBT8014, but 10 channels. Part of me is thinking buy a set of towers and a 10” or 12” sub that I’ll custom mount it. The other side which saves money, thinking maybe bridge the 4 channels on one of the amps and send 150 watts to the bow installed mx650’s which is probably overkill.

Guess this is a luxury problem, trying to figure out what to do with my extra 3 channels ...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_020XC2510/Clarion-XC2510.html?tp=115

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_204MBT8014/Bazooka-MBT8014.html?tp=61750
I have 150 going to each of MX650s - they can get stressed but they down right boogie.

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have 150 going to each of MX650s - they can get stressed but they down right boogie.
That's good feedback, thank you! Will be interesting to see how much better they will sound with 150 vs. the others with 50.

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Almost got everything installed yesterday, just need to hook a few last things up. Ran the 0 gauge power and ground (ran them together, but something feels off about that, but they are very well made cables). Speaker wires all run, terminated them. Got the 0 gauge going to disti boxes and wires for amps in on other ends. Speaker wires all tied into amp wires. Was anal with heat shrinking, 3 per speaker wire on each side.

Just need to hook up remote turn on, and plug terminals into speakers, then mount everything.

4am and can’t wait to get back to the boat

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Got it all hooked up Sunday morning, and what a difference!

Sub arrived Monday, but haven’t had time to wire it up.

Been thinking about what to do next with 3 extra ports. By the way one of my stock tweeters isn’t working.

I’m thinking an in cabin 10” JL sub, and either a pair of 7” coax speakers, 2 tower speakers, or 2 tower jl tweeters. Really want to have more control on output volumes and crossover points. Will probably start with the 2nd 10” sub, and then see if the boat needs more midrange or highs. The jl tweeters look really nice, but they would need their own channel, not sure what the factory jbl tweeters power range is, but they do seem ok off HU.

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ohh by the way was happily surprised to see the cmd6 is much better unit then cmd8. 6 has a little higher rms and 6 output channels vs 4.

Kaschool

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi All, I noticed that the video above showed the XC2510 was only $139. But when I search now it looks like its almost $400! and in many sites it's says its discontinued. Is this still the one to go for based on size and cost for a 5channel amp? or has it now been priced too high!?