• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 AR240 Engine/stereo not working.....help appreciated.

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, I'm puzzled. Took boat outta storage, put in speakers, change oil, ect....then tried to start it...Nothing!

Battery is fully charged
2 safety switches under platform hatch compressing fine
Throttle in neutral
Lanyard is connected
Checked main fuse near battery and fuses behind round covers on firewall

Blower and lights turn on, but motor and stereo not a dang thing. What am I missing?

Thanks for any suggestions

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you disconnect the battery leads and not reconnect them maybe? Or are the terminal connections loose?

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 3 wires(black) to negative and 1(red) to positive. Very tight!

Are there a main fuse I don't know about?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Are the batteries fully charged? The stereo if amplified, takes more battery capacity than do the engines, but lights and other stuff may work fine and the battery not have enough umph left to turn them...especially if the boat has been in storage without being on a charger.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do the multi gauges light up and the speedo cycle up and down when you turn the key?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You only have one battery, correct? So there is no switch to go back and forth from Battery 1 to Battery 2 to off. Just making sure. And we're sure it's fully charged?

Also, I had an issue 1 or 2 years ago where I thought my terminals were tight on the battery, but they weren't tight enough. I tightened them more and away it went.

With the stereo being off too, makes me lean to a switch being off or fuse.

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are the batteries fully charged? The stereo if amplified, takes more battery capacity than do the engines, but lights and other stuff may work fine and the battery not have enough umph left to turn them...especially if the boat has been in storage without being on a charger.
The Battery reads 90% charged and left on trickle charger during winter in my house. The multi gauges did not come on. The horn, courtesy lights, blower all lit up nice/bright. Yes the on/off battery switch was on...Hell I even tried it in the off position .

Keep'em coming folks....Lol driving me nuts. Any fuses beside the one near battery and the 5 on firewall behind round plastic covers?

Here's my battery...

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Gosh @TN888 looks like you've tried everything I can think of at the moment. Hopefully something works someone else suggests.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have the one main red wire going from the battery to the switch and then 2 main red wires leaving the switch correct? Try removing the switch and swap the 2 leaving the switch and see if the problem changes. If it does then there is a problem farther downstream of that lead. could also be a bad switch or corrosion on the switch.

dancathy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dumb question. Are you sure the throttles are in neutral? Try moving them Back and forth while holdin key in start position

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have the one main red wire going from the battery to the switch and then 2 main red wires leaving the switch correct? Try removing the switch and swap the 2 leaving the switch and see if the problem changes. If it does then there is a problem farther downstream of that lead. could also be a bad switch or corrosion on the switch.
No corrosion at all where the boat is stored. Boat only has 16hrs on it and like new. Guess I'll have to pull it to dealer tomorrow.

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dumb question. Are you sure the throttles are in neutral? Try moving them Back and forth while holdin key in start position
Tried that numerous times in all positions.

Question....if everything I said is correct, what could it be?

Last edited:

dancathy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are there three terminals on your battery switch or are there two with two cables on one terminal?

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are there three terminals on your battery switch or are there two with two cables on one terminal?
Two come from the engine housing and one positive goes to the battery.

Anyone have a pic of there ar240 stock battery set-up?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you put it away working, I doubt that it is a wiring issue. Nothing has changed there (though I did note the one comment about corrosion in the switch--never heard of that, but it could be).

My inclination would be to look at the switches on the cleanout tray. I know you said they are fully depressed. Was the boat stored with that tray open or closed? Try putting a penny on each and close it. Are they loose?

Then I would move to the throttles and lanyard and jiggle those all good and make sure there are no issues there.

My bet is that you will trace it to one of those three.

Now, none of that explains the stereo. For odd stereo problems, I always start at the remote on the swim deck... Perhaps you have 2 separate issues? Though it is odd that both went at the same time.

That's all I got (admittedly, not a lot).

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounds to me like there is another wire that needs to be hooked to the positive terminal on the battery that isn't hooked up....

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would start with a fully charged battery. 90% means nothing and we really don't have a battery gauge that gives us much info. After that, it is the hookup. My 2012 ACC leads are not red, and they go on the positive post. I know it doesn't help now, but labeling or actually taping the leads that go to + with red and the ones to - with black help a great deal when you remove a battery(s). Shoot some pics, we can fix this, it is going to be battery or cable related I think...or a result of battery or cable, meaning you could also have blown the stereo fuse.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Way to early to talking about the dealer unless you are under the gun to get this resolved. My first step would be to get the battery tested (auto parts store or where you bought it). The one thing that has changed since you put it away in working order is taking the battery in and out. Seams like either the battery is not fully charged, leads are not all connected, connected properly, tightened sufficiently or corroded (all though it looks very clean). From there I would double check all fuses and try swapping with known good fuses and off course, double check kill switches such as the clean-out hatch and the lanyard.

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok got it figured out. Behind the round cover sets 5 fuses on left and 5 on right. I thought the 5 on right were spare fuses because they extruded out and identical to the left so I never checked the ones on right. The 30 amp fuses on each engine were broke.

Ya I know you're thinking 'what a dumbass'.....lol

I'm guessing somehow taking the battery in/out of the boat negative or positive wires touched wrong side of the battery to cause this. Really appreciate the suggestions folks, thank you.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad you found the problem. This is probably a silly question but what round cover are you talking about that the fuses were behind? I may need to know this someday.