• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 AR240HO Mooring Cover Comparison

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since taking delivery last season, I have been using my shipping cover for storage both on land and while docked and not in use in the water.

As I am sure you are all aware of . . . . the shipping cover is quite heavy and cumbersome to put on and take off from inside the boat / Dockside while in the water.

I am contemplating pulling the trigger on a yamaha deluxe mooring cover and can get:

A Grey one for $566
OR
A Black for $662

When I asked what the difference was between the two (beside the color) I was told the weight of the fabric.

Is anyone familiar with the Grey cover? Or more specifically the difference between the Grey/Black Yamaha Mooring Covers?

Also, are these any easier to put on/take off then the shipping cover?

Any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone . . . Anyone . . . Bueller. . .

Thor

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
DD, I just purchased the black cover to replace a snap canvas cover. Overall I am satisfied with it.

Pros: It looks bad-ass. It covers and protects the whole upper surface of the boat, and unlike the snap cover it doesn't leak water if it rains. It looks bad ass.

Cons: I thought the cover would have an elastic bad, it does not. There is a strap that goes around the perimeter and a ratchet on the bow and the port side to tighten. I keep my boat in the water and it is very hard to get the cover fully over the stern, so I cant connect the port side strap at all. The mooring lines go through the cover, so I have to take them off, run them through the cover, then tie up again. You wouldn't have this issue if the cover is used when the boat is out of the water. Also, the interior and the seats are HOT after the cover comes off, but they cool down quickly.

I think the grey cover has a single strap ratchet on the stern, it looks like a quality cover though. I bought the black cover thinking it would save time over the canvas snap cover. Although it doesn't save time, it is a much better cover.

Good luck with your decision.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Thor .

Anyone have any other insight as to the difference in quality /ratchet location on the Grey v.s. black covers?

I dock with the starboard side towards the dock so this sounds like it might give me the same issue. . . . . .

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have never used the black cover, but the grey vs the shipping..Grey is lighter. The shipping cover is PVC/plastic outside and softer fabric on the inside hence the weight. Shipping cover is definitely bulky when stored.

Regarding install, not much more different, both set-ups are the same with the ratchets.

Also, as the shipping cover is plastic, it is susceptible to UV breakdown. I only use it for winter storage and also throw a tarp over it.

Rich

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same boat as you do and have the black mooring cover. IMO I like the cover, but I do think it is a little more of a chore to put on when the boat is in the water than a bow/cockpit snap cover is. That being said, for me I like the mooring cover as I always hated the snaps on my old boat. They would always be in the way, pulled out of fiberglass and needed to be repaired often. Just hate the idea of snaps so I went with this style. My boat for the most part is stored in my driveway and is only left in the water a few times a year when I go down to my families cottage, and most of those days I leave the cover off as we are on the boat a lot. It just takes more strategy to put on more because of the nylon strapping used to support it seemingly always in the way. Still love it though

I just leave the ratchets on the loose side so as I work my way off the back I can just pop the last corner on. I only really ratchet it down tight if the weather calls for stronger winds/heavy rain

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have never used the black cover, but the grey vs the shipping..Grey is lighter. The shipping cover is PVC/plastic outside and softer fabric on the inside hence the weight. Shipping cover is definitely bulky when stored.

Regarding install, not much more different, both set-ups are the same with the ratchets.

Also, as the shipping cover is plastic, it is susceptible to UV breakdown. I only use it for winter storage and also throw a tarp over it.
So are you saying the Grey has the same ratchet locations as the shipping cover?

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just confirmed from @OperationROL (THANKS!) that the Grey cover for his 15' 242LS has the ratchets on both sides but closer to the stern than the shipping cover. Can someone confirm the same for the 14' AR240HO (Black and Grey)?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the black cover for my 2012 SX240 and long story but the guy I bought it from never noticed that it is an AR cover. In any case, to your point, it has ratchets at the rear, both sides, just forward of the rear cleats. I think it's possible to leave one near the back of the pocket on the side you won't reach and just tighten the strap on the other side. Tried it tonight and it seems to hold pretty well.

Kane Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Step up and get he PREMIUM DELUXE cover. That is what I have for my 242LS '14. GREAT cover. But it does have the double ratchet as previously mentioned.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just started a similar thread wanting to know the differences as well. FYI....my grey mooring cover has the ratchet straps on both sides like the black one. I have to replace it soon and was wondering if I should step up to the black premium cover.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why does the black covers have cleet caps for them but seems the grey do not? I was wondering why my grey cover does not have cleet caps like the black covers?

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anyone use the black mooring cover while the boat is still damp from use? Will it wick off moisture and prevent mildewing?

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Black one has two vent caps that when installed properly sit on top the windshield both sides of the bow walk thru. I have put the cover on a couple times after bringing the boat into slip from a rain and only partially wiping down the upholstery. I think the vents do a decent job of allowing ventilation under the cover.IMG_0386.jpg

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Very happy with my decision to go with the premium cover and would never want the snap on type again IMHO.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
go with black. much better imo

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Totally forgot I created this thread. . . . So, sorry for the delay in coming back with an update. I went with the premium deluxe mooring cover in black and have used it for 1.5 seasons. It has been WAY better then using the shipping cover.

I generally leave the port side ratchet strap untouched, and secure the cover using only the Starboard side strap since that's where my boat hits the dock. It works MUCH better than expected. As far as getting the cover around the stern, it was a PITA in 15' but I changed my docks configuration slightly in 16' which helped immensely.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I generally leave the port side ratchet strap untouched, and secure the cover using only the Starboard side strap
That is exactly what I do....I lean down to close the velcro and do up the plastic closure but leave the ratchet strap alone (cinched to the same amount all the time)

RadioWaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have the black cover and keep our boat on a lift. We usually boat until late in the day before we go back to work so the boat is usually soaking wet when covered. It used to mildew terrible until I started using a very small fan set on low speed with all of the hatches opened up. The vents in the cover allow the air to circulate and now when we show up the boat is bone dry.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Why does the black covers have cleet caps for them but seems the grey do not? I was wondering why my grey cover does not have cleet caps like the black covers?
I think but am not sure that the covers with cleat caps are the indicator that it's is a deluxe version. I say this because I just bought a used (2014) black cover from a member here and it does not have any cleat caps, other than the color it seems to be just like the gray cover.