• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Jeep GC Summit Diesel

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am probably going to buy a slightly used '14 Grand Cherokee Summit Diesel this week. I only tow a few times a summer but am looking at a longer tow for a vacation.

It is rated to tow 7400 pounds.

On the Jeep forum there have been a few conversations about problems with these cars, especially the DEF system.

Does anyone have any experience with this vehicle or any comments?

Thanks,

Eric

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've got a Ram with the same engine. In the first 1,000 miles, it was in the shop 4 times for check engine light concerns. At about 2400 miles now, and it's been problem free since and I'm averaging 18mpg towing the boat (28 without). I doubt I keep it outside of warranty, but I do like it thus far.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Please keep us posted on how you like it once it's in your driveway. A towing report wouldn't hurt either. It's a strong contender for my wife's next vehicle. We want something that's effecient for daily use and stout enough to handle the boat when the Ram has camper duty.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I looked real hard at the 2014 GC Diesel when I purchased my last vehicle and ultimately decided against it because it was a first year production run and there are always problems. Look at the 5.7 Hemi, it's a proven engine that has seen some good gains on mpg. Not to mention it flies off the line. Personally, I ended up with the Durango RT as it has more cargo space and I felt it was more secure on the road.

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've researched these things hard. I've needed a new vehicle for over a year, and just haven't been able to pull the trigger on anything. On paper, the JGC Summit Diesel is the only one that hits all my requirements. But I saw all the same reports as you did, and never got the reassurance I wanted that the issues were fully resolved.

If you do purchase it, I'd love a full report. Am edging closer to an F-150 Platinum, but I commute into Boston (and a parking garage) daily and the footprint (and fuel economy) of the JGC EcoDiesel is wildly better than an F-150, even with EcoBoost.

Details when you get them!

Yamahaal

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tow a 2008 sx230 with a 2014 JGC Diesel. Have over 30k miles. Great vehicle and no problems towing. And pulling boat out of the water at ramp you don't even feel the boat.

We did have the check engine light going on for the emissions, and had to bring it to the dealer a few times to get figured out. But it has now been thousands of miles without any further issue. I think they replaced the catalytic converter that hopefully finally solved the problem.

Other than getting that emissions issue fixed, we've had no other issues at all with the engine, etc.

Towing the MPG is very good compared to non diesel SUV's. I recently had almost 20 mpg on a 225 mile hilly trip towing. And then not towing we see 26, 27 on long trips

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I recently had almost 20 mpg on a 225 mile hilly trip towing. And then not towing we see 26, 27 on long trips
Wow, that's amazing fuel economy. Thanks for the report.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also looked for like vehicle. I bought a 2006 Jeep Liberty Deisel. Same company makes its motor. Love it....no DEF :)

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all of the replies.

I am looking at 2 used Jeeps. Both are 2014 Summits.

One is a V8, in Naperville, that has ~22K on it. I have negotiated them down to ~40K or ~41K if they certify it.

The other is a diesel in Milwaukee with around ~11K. We are stuck at 44.8K but I want lower. It has a March 2014 build date. This seems relevant as per the Jeep forums, the 2013 build date 2014 cars seem to have the most problems. This car was a dealer demo...

I like the diesel and I like the lower miles. That's the one I will probably end up with.

I found a few less expensive cars in Northern WI but they were lemon returns. There is a dealer near Sheboygan that sells these with full disclosure. They don't call them lemons though, they call them Manufacturer returns. They also give you full disclosure on what was wrong with the car. Not for me....

I have read a lot of information on line and on the Jeep forum. It seems like some people have had problems while others love it. My '05 Liberty CRD has been totally problem free....

Eric

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Eric Popper , so you have a Liberty CRD also!
Very cool. Are you a member of LostJeep and the CRD Facebook page?

We love our 2006 Liberty CRD

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am on the JeepForum but not those others. I'll look them up I'm selling it when I get the GC. I'm going to offer 44K for the diesel in Milwaukee as a take it or leave it price...

I have since found one in Raleigh (I can and am willing to travel to get the deal I want) that has the DVD player upgrade too for about the same price...

I'll let you know what happens.

Eric

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Done!

Pulled the trigger yesterday on a GC Summit diesel from Ziegler in Schaumburg. 2014 with 6,400 miles. Great salesperson and quick and easy deal.

Now I can't wait to tow the boat! Wait.....I just want to go out on it!! The weather has only allowed me to go on it once so far this season...

E

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am probably going to buy a slightly used '14 Grand Cherokee Summit Diesel this week. I only tow a few times a summer but am looking at a longer tow for a vacation.

It is rated to tow 7400 pounds.

On the Jeep forum there have been a few conversations about problems with these cars, especially the DEF system.

Does anyone have any experience with this vehicle or any comments?

Thanks,

Eric
If you have some time, read this. I would HIGHLY recommend AGAINST getting a USED Jeep. Especially a year old one that could have been a returned lemon.

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60674&sid=25b42d0ef2185b936960865cce7be08c

https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-tow-vehicle.1057/

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have had the car 1 week. It is in the shop.

I drove it for 2 days after the purchase and left town for a few days. Upon return, I got a check engine light while driving it.

I took it back to Ziegler for warranty work and will let you know what happens.

Unfortunately, you only have 3 days to return a used car, and after that, you're SOL. I made it clear to the dealer that if it had been within 3 days, I would be there for a refund, not warranty work.

I am going to keep a good attitude and let the shop do their thing. My only worry (based on LOTS of research that I did) is that this becomes a recurring problem like others have had. Based on the build date of this car, and other reports, I am somewhat confident that the recurring problems were from early 2014 builds (in 2013).

On a side note, I have been trying to contact the former owner, as I am curios about the car's history. My wife found his address still programmed in the GPS. I had a lead, but it was wrong. Yesterday while doing the paperwork at the dealer, when they gave me the work order, it had all of the prior owner's contact information on it. :) IMG_2920-2.JPG I have reached out to him for more information on the car's history.

Overall, I have to say I love the car. The appointments and features are quite nice and it is fun to drive. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road...

Eric

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read that and lots of other information before purchase....good and bad.

Thanks though...

I have a 2006 Liberty CRD with 134K trouble free miles. I am confident that I will end up with a similar experience with the Summit.

E

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read that and lots of other information before purchase....good and bad.

Thanks though...

I have a 2006 Liberty CRD with 134K trouble free miles. I am confident that I will end up with a similar experience with the Summit.

E

I truly wish you the best of luck with it. We love our HEMI Overland. . . . . and have no issues so far in 11k miles. But after the challenges with the 2011, and the prevalence of issues with these $55K+ trucks I am sad to say I will never own another Jeep.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So Zieglers replaced the catalytic converter and that appears to have fixed the problem. How that went bad at 6,400 miles will always be a mystery. That being said, I am glad that they found a definitive problem versus some BS computer flash reset stab attempt at a solution. So far, 200 trouble-free miles.

Now back to thinking about boating...

Eric

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just curious, what could one of the diesels be bought for new?