• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Scarab 215 with twin Rotax 4-Tech motors - season 2; Port motor runs rough

John P Jones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I bought a 2014 Scarab 215 in winter 2015. First season was summer of 2016. At about 12 hours, port side engine had a check engine light appear. Dealer said it was an overheat code - cleared the code and ran the boat at idle on ground and had no repeat issue. I ran the boat for the summer - though more or less took it easy with it - no throttle snaps. Had it winterized at the marina. Just opened it up - ran it at idle on ground (with cooling water attached per manual) with no issues. Put it in the water - port side engine idling roughly and the check engine light came back on. I'm getting a heavy vibration from port side engine, same as I did last year.

Any ideas? Bringing it back to dealer for maintenance to figure out what's going on. They found nothing last year - wondering if they are just buying time 'till the warranty runs out.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When the engine was winterized, what did they do? So it runs rough under load? Has the dealership checked the stored codes in the ECU?

John P Jones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That's part of the problem - they can't check the ECU. They don't have the computer. They had to borrow it from another dealer last year. This year, same issue - no computer, but to make matters worse, the other dealer is no longer a Scarab dealer or servicer and says they no longer have the computer/software. Quite annoying. The next Scarab dealer is over 50 miles away. Not sure where to go from here, aside from straight to an attorney's office.

John P Jones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The ECU - Can I access it with a code reader like as in a car? I can access auto's with a code reader. Not sure if its the same unit/interface with the rotax 4-Tech's.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You need to buy a Candoo Pro if you are going to keep the boat. The dealer will never be able to perform any warranty work without the BUDS computer.

If you have a Seadoo dealer close by, you can get them to have Scarab honor the warranty using their shop. That would work best for you to be honest.

John P Jones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Candoo Pro - OK, Will look for it.
Will have to see who else in the area sells SeaDoo. I think I know of one. Not happy at all with the dealer. BUDS computer - They expensive? Within $1K, I might just look to buy one myself if I can. This is ridiculous.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
If there is an ACTIVE fault in the system, you should be able to see it directly from a Fault Menu Page in your gauge cluster. If there is NO Active fault, then you won't be see the Fault Menu page when scrolling.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@John P Jones I would also check the pumps for any debris stuck between the impeller blades and the wear ring. A match-sized chunk of wood (literally something that small) can make the pump/engine/boat shake like crazy and cause vibrations that can mimic rough idle, rough running, engine falling apart, you name it.
I've been fooled repeatedly over the Memorial Day weekend - running in water with some floating woodsy debris.
NOT SAYING this is your current issue, but I would want to eliminate that possibility. I would usually start by running the boat hard in forward and reverse, then do the "reverse maneuver", whatever. 9 times out of ten - I end up passing something and it's back to smooth sailing.

Again, not trying to diagnose your issue or in any way appease or diminish the problem, it most likely is more serious. But who knows, stranger things have happened with these jet boats.

--