• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Yamaha 242 LS Wiring Help

MB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi everyone! Glad to be apart of this forum. I'm going down a project path and need some help figuring out some wiring gremlins. Long story short. My instrument panel & ignition panel along with some other items were stolen from my boat. I've recently replaced the missing parts and finally have a break in weather to be able to work on it during the weekends.

What I have encountered is that it seems like I am missing some wires from the boat but cant for the life of me figure our what wire harness/loom it is looking at the parts diagrams from the yamaha dealer sites.

Main Harness Looks to be intact with no cuts or missing wires. (Good news for sure)
Also have a brand new Sub harness that hooks up all the tachs/speedometer panel to the main harness. Part # (F2D-U827D-00-00)

The issue I have is I have no wires that hook up all the switches and breakers. What harness am I missing? Looking at the service manual It seems like I need this 12 pin connector based on the diagram. Anyone know the part # or can help me out by taking a few photos behind the instrument panel and ignition switch?

Attachments

MB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I took a photo of the 12pin female plug that is coming from the main harness. So, I'm thinking the male 12pin connector along with all the spade terminals were disconnected and taken. Anyone have a photo of theirs? I presume this harness is probably sold with the main harness thru yamaha since no dealer knows what I am referring to. Is that possible? Is this something that had to be self made? Hard to believe.

The cruise control panel has the proper spade connectors coming from its breakers. (Added a photo for reference) However, Ignition & Main panel are missing all of these.

As I learn more I will post but anyone willing to share photos of their instrument panel wires would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You are absolutely correct in that you are missing at least one sub harness. Yamaha has an affinity for those 12 pin harnesses and makging a sub harness to go to ignition or other switches. Much easier for a theif to unplug those as opposed all of the spades. You have two options. Buy all the parts and tools to make you own deutsch 12 pin harness (expensive and time consuming) or splice new wires going to the spades they are designated for. The wires usually have small writing on them too which helps.

Good luck.

MB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You are absolutely correct in that you are missing at least one sub harness. Yamaha has an affinity for those 12 pin harnesses and makging a sub harness to go to ignition or other switches. Much easier for a theif to unplug those as opposed all of the spades. You have two options. Buy all the parts and tools to make you own deutsch 12 pin harness (expensive and time consuming) or splice new wires going to the spades they are designated for. The wires usually have small writing on them too which helps.

Good luck.
Thanks. Looks like making my own is probably the best option. I have the proper tools to make the connectors no issue and spending some time drinking while wiring shall prove to be fun lol!.

Still baffled that Yamaha would not sell this as a sub harness. Spoke with a few part reps and they all they it comes with the "Main" harness. So spend 1K to need a $20 harness haha

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Typically, these sub-harnesses come with the panels, not the main harness. If you purchased new panels through Yamaha service, then I am surprised that they did not come with the panel sub-harnesses.

MB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Typically, these sub-harnesses come with the panels, not the main harness. If you purchased new panels through Yamaha service, then I am surprised that they did not come with the panel sub-harnesses.
Neither sub harness came with either panels purchased from Yamaha. They do not even show those sub harnesses in their parts diagram.
(Link provided)

2014 Yamaha 242 LIMITED S (SXT1800HN) Electrical 4 | Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse
When I purchased the Main Panel for speedometer and Tachs I also ordered Wire Harness 2 but that only connects the tachs and speedometer non of the switches or breakers.

I'm going to check my local dealer to see if they have any or find out if they truly do sell them as a standalone before making my own.

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I went through all the parts lists. They did a very thorough job of breaking down the parts, but are totally missing these harnesses.

When I said they should have came with the panels, I was thinking more along the lines that you had bought a complete panel assembly including gauges, switches, breakers, etc.

MB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went through all the parts lists. They did a very thorough job of breaking down the parts, but are totally missing these harnesses.

When I said they should have came with the panels, I was thinking more along the lines that you had bought a complete panel assembly including gauges, switches, breakers, etc.
I did buy the whole assembly but individually because the dealer doesn't sell it as a "package" from what I found.
If you have the same or similar boat and wouldn't mind checking if your harness has a part number attached that would be greatly appreciated.
I know I am a 1 in a million person looking for such a harness but still baffles me that they do not offer it.