• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2015-2016 Tower Concern

Ddip1125

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Guys,

I was putting the boat in my storage unit today and something occurred that I thought I would share and see if anyone has run into this. My storage garage has a 10x10 door so the boat won't fit in it with the tower raised so I have to lower it each time I put it away. I recently installed tower speakers and the issue I had today when I put it away was that the added weight of the tower speakers creates a problem when trying to unscrew the release pins that allow the tower to fold. If you undo one side completely then move to the next it is almost impossible to unscrew it because of the strain on the tower. It wasn't until I had my wife get up in the boat and support the tower that I was able to undo both of them easily. I know this seems like common sense but it also seems like this is something that Yamaha should have looked at. There are a lot of people that install tower speakers and this is a little bit of a nuisance if you were to be by yourself. I'll work around it but thought I would share and see if anyone else has encountered this. Perhaps my tower speakers are just too big and heavy , but that can't possibly be can it haha!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    837.3 KB · Views: 24
Just curious about the size of the speakers? I have 8" speakers and don't have that big a problem. I undo one side then lift the tower with one arm and unscrew with the other. Kinda awkward but its doable.

If I were in that situation..... I would try to use a 4" ratchet strap from top center to the stern to try to relieve the pressure while unscrewing.

Cut a doubled up 2x4 to length with a V cradle notch in the top. Use it to support weight so you can drop tower solo. Should be easy to store in your storage unit. You could even hydro turf or use anti-fatigue mats in the cradle to protect the tower...

Hi Guys. All great ideas. I M definite going to do something to relieve the pressure. I have the Roswell Neptune 8" speakers on the tower and they are pretty heavy. I am sure the tower works fine with the standard tower speaker upgrade Yamaha offers through JL Audio. I think I'll just have to come up with a quick and easy way to support the tower. 2x4 seems practical enough to me!

Even with no speakers, I can't lower my tower without someone pushing up on the tower to relieve the strain on pin 2. I might just be weak, who knows.

I don't have tower speakers, but I do have the weight of the large bimini frame up top. I've lowered the tower a couple of times all by myself with no straps or poles to help, but it is a quite the circus trick to get that second pin pulled while trying to pull back on the bimini to relieve the strain and trying not let the whole thing crash into the windshield. I'm sure a strap or support brace as suggested above would be worth trying if you're planning to do this solo on a regular basis.

When I was at the boat show I was talking to the Yamaha expert there and he did admit that lowering the tower was a two person job....a brace of some sort might be the best bet.

Back