1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  2. Island Jay has developed an "I SURVIVED THE BIMINI CROSSING" shirt for those that have made the crossing or plan to! They also have JETBOATERS flags available NOW!

Save 10% when you use code JB at check out.
    Plus orders $35 or more get Free USA Shipping (on your entire order-not just Jetboats.net atire).

Grab your Official Jet Boaters Gear and other Boating, Beach and Nautical Tees during the >> Island Jay Jetboaters Only Introduction Sale through the end of July!

(Logged in Members can click the X in the upper right of this window to dismiss this notice)

Dismiss Notice

2015 242 ls TOP SPEED

Discussion in 'Yamaha AR240, SX240, 242 Limited / S / X/ E-Series' started by Hezi, May 22, 2018.

1. Hezi

Hezi Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 2
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    So I can't get more than 42 MPH from my boat with 4 men on board. I thought I should inspect my impellers after I beached on my last outing and I am sure I pushed bottom material (mainly sand) through the jets. Going out with a friend with 2013 242 LS last weekend, he is topping 50 MPH but his motors are at 8000 RPM. My motors don't go over 7400 RPM.

I'm either low on RPM and need to adjust the throttle cables or damaged one or 2 impellers. Maybe a combination of the two. Can anyone suggest what is your top RPM? How to check impellers? or a path to solve this?

I have 40 hours on the motors BTW.
    Thanks

2. greg

greg Jet Boat Lover

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    You should get close to 50. I can get 52 with my 2015 ar240. Should also get 7800 rpms. Maybe replace spark plugs.

3. McMark

McMark Jetboaters Lieutenant

Ratings:
    +1,066 / 24
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    2015 AR240. Solid 50mph boat.

4. Dave Baran

Dave Baran New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Other
    Boat Model:
    242 Limited S E-Series
    Boat Length:
    Since it is pretty early in the season still, you may have water in your fuel from old gas that sat over the winter. If you trailer your boat and you use normal "car" fuel it has 10% alcohol in it. Alcohol absorbs moisture. It will dilute the fuel so to speak. I'd recommend running your tank out and getting all the sludge out of it; if its bad then you may have to have the tank pumped out. Then fuel up at a station that sells 100% gas; which has no alcohol in it. Some "car" gas stations do sell it, you have to call around. This may get you the extra power you are looking for. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hezi

Hezi Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 2
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    Thank you for the advice. I did fill the tank 3 times already after almost finishing the fuel. In the last two tanks, I added Sta-Bill fuel additive. Same results. Next on the list is to tear the jets down and inspect the impellers and increase tension on the throttle cable to get more than the current 7400 RPM I am getting

6. Chief

Chief New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242 Limited E-Series
    Boat Length:
    2016 242 limited E-series...top speed 50mph @ 7475 RPM....1 crew, 50% fuel load....i use regular gas from the car gas station(E10)......fuel burn is 25.2 gph or 1.98 mpg at top speed.

7. Ronnie

Ronnie Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +3,355 / 54
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    Are you sure you and your buddy have the same engines? The CARB “California air resource board” boats have catalytic converters and produce less hp/kw. If you can’t tell by looking at the engines check the ID/Info plates for the kw rating of each.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chief

Chief New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242 Limited E-Series
    Boat Length:
    You can tell by looking at the engines between the 3 star and the 4 star CARB enignes....the 3 star engines have loop on the dip stick for your finger....the 4 star engines have just a knub on the dip stick.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Freezer41

Freezer41 Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +135 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    CA CARB boat my max is 51 when it was just me on board. I had 4 adults and 2 kids last week and 43 was the max. Then with 2 adults and 2 kids a couple days later got 46. My elevation is 320ft. Top RPM 7400-7500 I think

10. Jim McGovern

Jim McGovern Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I have a 2015 AR 240 and 52 mph is top speed.