• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 AR192 Cobra Ultimate or Viper

AdamB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I am looking at purchasing a Cobra Jet system for my 2015 AR192. I am interested in opinions on the Ultimate and Viper products.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It will be difficult to find someone who’s had both, but I have the Viper and have nothing but good things to say about it.

AdamB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
It will be difficult to find someone who’s had both, but I have the Viper and have nothing but good things to say about it.
What improvements did you see with the viper?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We replaced our JBP TV's with CJS Viper with mega fangs earlier this year , we have about 20 hours on them and couldn't be happier. We have a Non-Keeled (NK) 2013 Sx190 and the CJS makes the boat more responsive on plane and at slower speeds IMHO, even reverse feels better. I think the articulating keels (AK's) didn't come into the 190's until 2016 so if you have a NK and don't have either TV's or the CJS you will see a marked improvement either way. We just prefer the overall feel of the CJS's. Also, Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC is great to work with and offers a 30 day trial on his systems, (not a knock on Will at JBP), when we purchased our CJS Jeff was emailing me back for a good portion of the day giving me details on the system I needed and even sent some extra bolts that I needed to replace after the TV's came off. He had the system together and mailed the next day! Good Luck, I am sure that the rest of the folks on here will chime in, it is a common question with lots of opinions and advice.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ha the same experience with Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC that @FLBulldogger did. I have the ultimates (I think) with the two pairs of first generation fangs. The ultimates are huge fins that can swing up and down and are height adjustable. What are the characteristics of the Viper? Are they fixed in one position? Clearly I’m not with the times.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Vipers are fixed fins with a planning surface and built in (mini) fangs. The fins are also a little further apart than the Ultimates, and the whole system bolts to the bottom of the nozzle.

Like @FLBulldogger my boat seems much more responsive (I switched from TV’s) at higher speeds, and I have much more control in reverse. The boat planes faster now, and it loses less speed in the turns. It reduced my ability to wag the stern while skiing, but I can still pull it off course during the apex of my cuts outside.

Jeff’s response time to questions is usually less than 5-minutes through this site, and he helped me quite a bit with the selection and install of the Viper.

AdamB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Purchased the Viper system and we are extremely happy with the system. The boat tracks much better when coming off of plane and does hold speed better in the turns. I also noticed that it reduced my ability to pull the stern while skiing.

Rickey498

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the TVs and replaced with the vipers. Love them. I actually tried the boat out with nothing just to see how it handled and I can tell you I won’t be doing that again. I have so much more confidence with the viper system.