• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 AR240 - HELP w/ checklist of items and accessories

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone! Just picked up our AR240 yesterday and after the much appreciated information on this site, I have been able to prep for this big day. I have never owned a boat before so everything is obviously new to me and I'm trying my best to not make any mistakes with the new boat. Any accessories or ideas to better our adventures and help protect the boat are greatly appreciated. What I have so far:

65" veve trailer guides are on order now (took me 10 minutes to get boat on trailer yesterday without hitting the wheel wells). People at the dock got a good laugh!)

Four 8x26 Taylor Made fenders and matching poly knit covers. Will four suffice / should I get a different size?

Tool kit, first aid kit, extinguisher, various ropes, vests and 2 anchor for front and back. Battery conditioner and VHF radio. We will use the Navionics app on our phone (awesome app!) when chartering through unfamiliar territory and tide chart to read the tide height.

Premium deluxe mooring cover and soft sided cooler to move around the boat more easily (wont scratch too)

(( PLEASE SHARE ANY IDEAS)) - I thank you in advance!

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1) STOLTZ Bow roller (if the 2015s still come with a roller as cheap as mine was that scratched the hell out of my boat)
2) Keel Guard
3) Beer

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The bow roller on the 2015 trailer is soft and bends and warps when the boat hits it. But a keel guard! Great idea. Where do I buy a nice one for my AR ? And BEER! How could I forget! lol

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you didn't get practice in yesterday, a non weekend/non busy, day at the ramp and dock to practice maneuvering is a very good idea to help you get your jet boat skills honed without embarrassment or damage to the new boat. Here is a checklist to help you establish good habits and routine. It was designed for my particular mission, but you can alter it to suit your needs in Word. Congrats on the boat and have a fun summer!

Attachments

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very detailed list! I'm going to print this out. Is running the blower for 4-5 minutes before starting the boat standard ?

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
A grill. I like the weber q line. You will get tired of sandwiches.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very detailed list! I'm going to print this out. Is running the blower for 4-5 minutes before starting the boat standard ?
Everyone will do something a little different. I will always open the engine hatch to inspect everything once it is on the water an make sure no leaks are present, which includes water and fuel. I will then close it up run the blower for a couple minutes until my wife is ready to go and fire up the engines.

As for fenders, around here 4 is more than enough. Having said that I carry 6 around just in case other people that want to tie up to us need some for their other side. I only regularly use 2, for docking, and when I tie up to others I only use 2 per side. 4 of mine are the 6.5 inch ones and the 2 spares are smaller from my old boat.

First aid kit is always a good idea, however a fire extinguisher is a required thing around here, if you don't have one get one before you go out again.

What area do you live / boat in? VHF radios are useful in some areas and pointless in others.

Enjoy the new boat!

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in Haverhill, MA and we travel up the Merrimack river to Newburyport, MA (if you know where that is). We also go to Ossippe, NH and Lake Winni. Grill is a good idea! Where do you place it/store it after you are done grilling and the grill is red hot?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats on the boat. In a few weeks, you will be mastering it like you have had it for years. Everyone above did a great job of recommending items. We can spend your money for you if you are not careful. The one thing my wife insists on is Sea Deck. Smelly carpet is not something we want to manage.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are a lot of discussions about where to mount a grill. you can buy a grill and a mounting kit that adapts if to the factory table leg and use it on the swim deck. I have seen others that do custom mounts and grill up on the bow so the hot grill isn't around the busy swim deck area. The grill should be cool enough to store after 15-30 minutes, so I would just use it when you know you won't need to leave right away. I think there a cases you can put them in to help minimize any potential messes when stored. Our boats have a plethora of storage options so finding a spot to put it shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would highly recommend getting hydroturf or seadeck for the small little steps on the sides of the swim platform. I found that I step there frequently getting on and off the dock. Also getting it for the step over portion of the engine hatch is useful too.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The manual will tell you to run the blower. I often forget and find it running after I stop to anchor. It only needs to be ran to evacuate the engine compartment of any fumes that may linger. That said, if you open the engine hatch, you have accomplished that and running the blower is redundant...if it is sufficiently evacuated. I always open it at home pre-trip (only 4.5 miles to the ramp), and make my pre departure complete, even most of my ramp duties are completed before leaving home. Such as the transom drain plug and the clean out plugs. All I do at the ramp is release my Boat Buckles (the transom tie down straps), just before I back into the water. These are another necessity in my book. Then once in the water, I jump in, turn on the bilge pump, hit the blower on for less than a minute (and leave it on apparently by mistake), and fire the boat up. I leave it running and go release the bow hitch strap, then back off the trailer, the wife pulls the trailer out if she is with me. But all my prep, checking the oil, bilge pump, lights, horn, and equipment/supply checks are done before I ever arrive at the ramp.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The manual will tell you to run the blower. I often forget and find it running after I stop to anchor. It only needs to be ran to evacuate the engine compartment of any fumes that may linger. That said, if you open the engine hatch, you have accomplished that and running the blower is redundant...if it is sufficiently evacuated. I always open it at home pre-trip (only 4.5 miles to the ramp), and make my pre departure complete, even most of my ramp duties are completed before leaving home. Such as the transom drain plug and the clean out plugs. All I do at the ramp is release my Boat Buckles (the transom tie down straps), just before I back into the water. These are another necessity in my book. Then once in the water, I jump in, turn on the bilge pump, hit the blower on for less than a minute (and leave it on apparently by mistake), and fire the boat up. I leave it running and go release the bow hitch strap, then back off the trailer, the wife pulls the trailer out if she is with me. But all my prep, checking the oil, bilge pump, lights, horn, and equipment/supply checks are done before I ever arrive at the ramp.
I too, always forget the blower on, when I remember to use it.

Ronald Moore

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello everyone! Just picked up our AR240 yesterday and after the much appreciated information on this site, I have been able to prep for this big day. I have never owned a boat before so everything is obviously new to me and I'm trying my best to not make any mistakes with the new boat. Any accessories or ideas to better our adventures and help protect the boat are greatly appreciated. What I have so far:

65" veve trailer guides are on order now (took me 10 minutes to get boat on trailer yesterday without hitting the wheel wells). People at the dock got a good laugh!)

Four 8x26 Taylor Made fenders and matching poly knit covers. Will four suffice / should I get a different size?

Tool kit, first aid kit, extinguisher, various ropes, vests and 2 anchor for front and back. Battery conditioner and VHF radio. We will use the Navionics app on our phone (awesome app!) when chartering through unfamiliar territory and tide chart to read the tide height.

Premium deluxe mooring cover and soft sided cooler to move around the boat more easily (wont scratch too)

(( PLEASE SHARE ANY IDEAS)) - I thank you in advance!
wow you should've had your dealer throw all of that stuff in as part of the sale....Practice docking at VERRRRYYYY slow speeds..

Ronald Moore

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
yes .. gas fumes can build up in the engine compartment and explode. Happened here in Charleston just yesterday.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My suggestion would be to go out the first time with someone who knows boating and leave everyone else at home. While this may not be popular with them, if you go with a big crew you will be entertaining instead of learning the boat. This would give you the opportunity to find some calm water and practice low-speed maneuvering and increase your comfort level before you are distracted with everyone. After you go once or twice, it becomes old hat. Enjoy it.

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some very good feedback guys. I know there are plenty of posts regarding the sea dek and I will take a peek around. Where is the best place to buy it? Also... (and I know this is a super-noob question). How do I know how far to back the boat down into the water when on the ramp? Is there a good way to guage this? I feel stupid asking but I honestly don't know.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most people will say something along the lines of "until the fenders are under water". The answer really depends on the slope of the ramp, but that should get you started. Tie a couple of dock lines to the cleats and just have someone on the dock. You will get out and undo the winch and she will float off.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was a NOOB a couple of years ago as well and this forum walked me through everything. There is only two things I would be worried about on your first trip. First, make sure drain plugs and clean-out plugs are installed. Second, do some low-speed practicing in a calm bay on the lake before bringing it back in and try to avoid banging up the gel coat. It is inevitable I suppose, but a real bummer. I would try to go out on a slow day with someone who knows there way around boats.