• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 AR240 - repositioning the ski locker gas strut

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I realize that folks have posted this mod before, but I ran into something that has not been talked about. So, I decided to re-position the gas strut on my ski locker door. After unscrewing the door mount, I opened the door further and realized that it was hitting the guide for the air dam, which was expected because it was already mentioned by others. So, I decided to shave off the bottom of the air dam fixture... but the door still didn't open fully because there's a snap on the locker door that impacts the change room door. So, although I couldn't get my locker door to open fully vertical, repositioning the strut mount lower by about an inch did result in the door opening about 3 to 4 inches more than before.
upload_2016-5-2_15-5-21.png
upload_2016-5-2_15-7-51.png

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Excellent information and something I will be looking into as well!

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So do I need a new gas strut to make the door open more? I'm trying to do this mod but not understanding in this post what you all did? What length gas strut do I need if any?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So do I need a new gas strut to make the door open more? I'm trying to do this mod but not understanding in this post what you all did? What length gas strut do I need if any?
No new parts, just re-position the attachment. It's been posted somewhere around here.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wait? Re-position the strut I have now? Lol

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wait? Re-position the strut I have now? Lol
I think that's what I did... just moved the (top) attachment down a couple inches. I'll find pics.

--

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@FloJet, some folks have replaced the strut with a longer one. I just repositioned where mine attaches to the door. By repositioning, I mean that I moved the strut mount down on the locker door (with locker door open). The mount has 4 screws. I repositioned the two top screws into the holes in the door where the two bottom screws were originally installed, meaning that I only had to make two new holes in the door to screw the two repositioned bottom screws.
I had to trim the bottom windbreaker channel trim piece as the ski locker door was hitting it from being open more.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok thanks for the info. I will try to reposition it then.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok thanks for the info. I will try to reposition it then.
It's pretty easy to do if you decide to reuse the bottom screw holes.
1. Remove all 4 screws.
2. Move the bracket down until the top holes in the bracket align with the original bottom holes in the door.
3. Screw in the top holes.
4. Check to see if this position works for you. You may have to trim the windbreak track to allow the door to fully open. If reusing the two holes gives you a good position, then carry-on to step 5.
5. Pilot drill the two bottom holes.
6. Screw in the bottom holes.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@FloJet, some folks have replaced the strut with a longer one. I just repositioned where mine attaches to the door. By repositioning, I mean that I moved the strut mount down on the locker door (with locker door open). The mount has 4 screws. I repositioned the two top screws into the holes in the door where the two bottom screws were originally installed, meaning that I only had to make two new holes in the door to screw the two repositioned bottom screws.
I had to trim the bottom windbreaker channel trim piece as the ski locker door was hitting it from being open more.
Thank God some of us here are actually quite articulate! Thank you, @MrMoose.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For real. Great instructions. Very much dummied down for me :D

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank God some of us here are actually quite articulate! Thank you, @MrMoose.

--
Well @swatski, I learned my lesson from that one post when I didn't specify that I was replacing the seat back latch mechanism because mine broke. The members of this forum have standards ya know. ;)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone thought of adding struts to the hinged seat storage compartments? The starboard cabin seat in particular likes to bounce and also closes too easy. My other thought is to create more friction in the hinges somehow.

Last edited:

bmb5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I get the boat out of storage when all this snow melts, I will be doing this mod. Thanks for the pics.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone thought of adding struts to the hinged seat storage compartments? The starboard cabin seat in particular likes to bounce and also closes too easy. My other thought is to create more friction in the hinges somehow.
I hadn't thought about this....but an interesting idea....the kids often let the seats (front and cabin) slam closed. Would be interesting to see if this could be solved....

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would be interesting to see if this could be solved....
No, @Julian . You need to show us - how to make this new mod: "Alexa close the damn seat".
Just saying.
:D

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model