• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 COMPARISON: Yamaha 242 Ltd S versus Chaparral 243 VORTEX VRX

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Since there appeared to be so much interest in this new 243 VORTEX VRX offering from Chaparral, and we could (thanks to new 2015 boat shows) finally get to visit and touchy-feely a VRX Vortex 243, we felt in might be interesting to do a side-side comparison of some of the more interesting differences between the 2 boats. And there are some EXTREME differences that at fist glance are not so obvious, and yet can and will be very important to a new boat owner. I did attempt to to be fair in finding differences. I let the reader decide how we did on this. Here goes:

1. VORTEX: The seating material, stitching and fit/finish is NOT "superior" to that of the Yamahas. Despite what the Chap. brochure and Chap. sales people claim.

2. The VORTEX engines, being super-charged:

A) Eat up a TON MORE space in the motor department, making service FAR more difficult and
B) Require a supercharger REBUILD every 200 hours (TIMES 2 engines !!!!!!) - NOT cheap whatsoever.

3. Chaparral did STUPID things like place the battery switch to where you cannot even get to it in the FAR recess of the motor compartment REAR side.

4. The dual batteries are DIFFICULT work on, as they are on OPPOSITE sides of the VRX ! I have no idea how much difficulty you would experience installing an on-board quality battery charger, like a dual-bank Minn-Kota, would make for an owner, but it AIN'T gonna be easy (on the VORTEX).

5. VORTEX’s lack the Yamaha’s dual throttle controls which is how knowledgeable Yamaha drivers conveniently and safely dock their boats, and more. Chaparral claims they don't require that. However, that is only because they are using the BRP supplied engine AND drive-train, and that's how BRP has always done it.

6. The captain's seat is "ok" but by no means as good as the new Yamaha seats. And the passenger seat basically SUCKS for quality. Look at it and you'll understand. See item # 14 below as well.

7. The "head" compartment is HUGE on the Chaparral, but it's WASTED space for most. I'll give them this: IF you wanted to use this for a porta-potty, or for changing, it IS a LOT larger than the Yamaha area. But it is our opinion, most owners do NOT use that area for those purposes.

And there is no "Drink compartment," like on the new 24 footer Yamahas. Yamaha provides you with a post-side “Entertainment Area” which includes COLD drink storage and serving - AND a lockable glove box !!! Yamaha also provides a wastebasket little holding space and netting.

Keep in mind the Yamaha Entertainment area is far easier to use, and a lot more convenient, than a bow-front cooler area, located underneath a seating area.

8. I have no idea about the noise factor, but no sales person told us how "good" it is on the Chaparrals. It was NOT even mentioned !
This <Noise Factors ...... or "Noise Reduction Improvements"> is unlike the new Yamaha 24 footers for 2015 !!!!

Every Yamaha dealer, sales person, and technical person @ the 2015 ATL boat show COMPLAINED (just kidding) about the new 2015 Yamaha sound reduction system !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - They said it is so GOOD in design and function that, now, you MUST turn down the radio to talk to others while @ wide-open throttle ! ROFL ! Seriously ... they said the new difference is far more than just INCREDIBLE !

9. Interestingly Chaparral states their 243 VRX is for 12 people – but Boattest.com also goes on to state (their words) it’s realistic only for 4 to 7 comfortably.

10. Vortex comes with either a 10-year or “Lifetime” limited hull warranty. I have seen BOTH warranty periods mentioned. HOWEVER: But when was the last time someone made a hull claim with Yamaha for a 232 or 242, which has a 5-year hull warranty ?

11. To get the top end speed they claim (54 MPH), you MUST have the OPTIONAL super-charged ROTAX power plants. SUPERHCARGED = Burns more gas and costs FAR MORE ($$$) maintenance ! And this is EXPENSIVE maintenance. And YOU aren’t gonna rebuild a super charger in an afternoon in your backyard. The superchargers MUST be rebuilt every 100 hours OR you are gonna have some even more expensive items to deal with.

12. VORTEX uses a closed-loop cooling system – PARTICULARLY important in Salt Water usage ! This is a wonderful design feature !@!!

13. Yamaha – The Only true NEUTRAL is engines OFF. SAME with Vortex’s !

14. Flip-up ARM RESTS on the Yamaha’s Captain’s chair – NONE on Vortex !!!! No Captain’s chair for the passenger whatsoever (Vortex) !!!!!!!! And both Yamaha Captain’s Chairs Swivel a complete 360 degrees, and recline !

15. VORTEX has built-in self-draining cooler area in the bow. Not available on the Yamaha. However, see item #7 above (Port-side Entertainment area) !

16. VORTEX holds 52 gallons of fuel onboard – Yamaha holds 50 gallons.

17. Ski Locker – Door is SUBSTANTIALLY larger on the Yamaha – and the compartment extends even further – Far greater “floor” storage on the Yamaha !

18. The Chaparral “Medallion 6.5 inch Display System” is an OPTION !!! The Yamaha comes STANDARD with the CONNEXT 7” System, which is FAR easier to use ! And Yamaha’s is far more intuitive to use !

19. Yamaha ALSO provides a Joystick Control for the CONNEXT 7” Control System. Yamaha also gives you additional push buttons both on the touch-screen display bottom , as well as on the joy-stick control. This makes this system a lot easier to use, and so intuitive it become a JOY to use. Not available on the Chaparral.

Keep 1 thing in mind: The CONNEXT joystick makes making changes to the CONNEXT a TON easier when you are navigating, steering and driving your jet boat. Chaparral forces you to use a touch screen. Far more difficult in real-world use ! Unless you are standing still !

And for Yamaha owners: You have to EXPERIENCE the CONNEXT system in person. It is so much easier to use than the former stupid little "buttons" located below the displays. And this yields benefits you never knew about. Such as being able to vary continuously the cockpit lighting (for dimming), or pushing a button and getting a COMPLETE Yamaha DIAGNOSTIC READOUT, including any fault codes = YDIS !!! This is the SAME read out that used to require you to have a laptop computer, software, and a special cable !

20. The Vortex dash area has a somewhat “cluttered dash” with many extra rocker SWITCHES, even with their 6.5” Medallion Display System. There are NO switches on the Yamaha - just the easy-to-use 7” CONNEXT touch-screen display and joystick system.

21. Vortex comes with a hanging rod in the port console (porta potty compartment). Yamaha – No hanging rod. This feature might be a deal breaker !

HOWEVER: Yamaha places a VERY convenient SHELF in their "port storage area".
And a paper towel holder rod and a toilet paper roll holder also built in. So maybe this is a "push" after all. (LOL !)

22. SOUND SYSTEM – Yamaha makes it VERY clear who makes the Sound System (Polk PA450UM) and who makes the speakers (Polk) and the specific model numbers ! Yamaha uses top-end Polk speakers ! NONE of that information is provided whatsoever anywhere from Chaparral ! The Chaparral head unti is a Polk, however - model # not known at this time. All Chapparal brags about is stainless steel speaker covers. It’s extremely difficult to hear better sounds emanating from a stainless steel speaker cover !

23. VORTEX charges STANDARD an $ 855 “Prep” fee !!!!!! Not a joke. Not removable ! You gotta pay it, and it is listed. Although while mandatory, they interestingly list it as an option. So much for being an “industry leader !”

24. Pricing for comparable boats: You are at $ 66379 for the VORTEX 243. The Yamaha lists @ $ 61499. Or as a stated earlier, a $ 4000 + DIFFERENCE (Increase) for the Chaparral ! (Specifically, an almost $ 4900 INCREASE for the VORTEX ! Close to 5 grand more ! It’ll be $ 5 grand more ( + $ 5000 !!!) when you take the overall increase in SALES TAX into consideration !!!!!!!!!!!!!).

25. I won’t even get nit-picky and talk about little things like using TOP QUALITY materials like Sea-Dek on the swim Platform on the Yamaha ! Or the use of teak-style carpeting !

26. Very nicely done PADDED ARCH TOWER on the VORTEX. Not available on the Yamaha.

27. Integrated “Anchor” light on the Yamaha Tower. Chaparral feels a Go-Pro camera mount is more important. LOL !@

NOTE: IF you have a Go-Pro Camera mounted on the Vortex, you CAN display the camera’s views on the Medallion display !

28. GAS MILEAGE (as computed by Boattest.com !):

@ TOP END: Vortex VRX = 36.9 GPH (7850 RPM).
Yamaha 242 = 23.0 GPH (7500 RPM).

BEST OVERALL MILEAGE: Vortex = 8.8 GPH (25.4 MPH and 5000 RPM).
Yamaha = 9.4 GPH (27.8 MPH & 5500 RPM).

29. Fresh-Water Shower: Standard on both boats.

30. I find this to be EXTREMELY interesting: Chaparral, 1 of the LEADING US pleasure boat manufacturers feels it is NECESSARY and important to their sales to list this item in their sales brochure and website: I cannot fathom how many additional VORTEX’s will be sold because they included this: “Molded-In Footrest - Port and Starboard”. Seriously. They had the audacity to list this. Sadly, Yamaha does not include this important feature.

31. Stainless Steel drink holders: 243 VORTEX = 12. Yamaha 242 = 14 !~

NOTE: Chaparral website lists 10 Drink holders. Brochure lists 12. I went conservative and showed 12 above.

32. CLEAN OUT PORTS VERSUS NOT HAVING THESE: Chaparral claims the design of the BRP system alone precludes the necessity of a clean out port (ports). While many former SeaDoo owners never suffered from sucking up ski ropes or debris, many others have. THUS: This feature, or lack thereof, DOES appear to be a deal breaker for many/most. Times will tell if this is correct, as we watch Chaparral and Scarab owners report on not having this important feature (Clean out ports) on their boats.

33. Bridge Clearance with the Tower:

Vortex = Bridge Clearance with Arch Tower : 7' 3"
Yamaha = Bridge Clearance with Arch Tower : 7' 9"

34. Swim platform storage: Yamaha conveniently locates dual compartments BEHIND the aft “back” cushions. Easy to get to and very convenient to use.

And Yamaha includes a 12V outlet back there.

VORTEX: Requires you to lift up the seat cushions. Not nearly as convenient to use !

35. IF you are a little unstable on your feet, or you have passengers who are so, the 243 VORTEX is far easier to safely enter, securely. The "passage" is wider and not as high as on the 242 Ltd S. This could be important depending on certain situations.

36. INTERESTING NOTE ABOUT PRICING: Until Sunday morning, January 18th, you could "build" your Chaparral boat, with PRICING, on their website. As of 1-18-2015, you MUST go through a dealer now !!!!!!!! All pricing data has been totally eliminated from their website !!!!! All they list now on their website is the "base price" for each Vortex model.
==================================================================
EDIT (Added 1-28-2015): Complete DETAILED test report from Boattest.com:

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=3223
==================================================================

So, that's about it. I feel I may have missed a couple of items, but I tried to get all of the important and interesting ones.

Best Wishes for a wonderful 2015 Boating Season for all ! And GO YAMAHA ! (LOL !)

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My question on the debris question is how BRP is eliminating the possibility of a clog just forward of the intake. I understand that a rope can't get wrapped around the shaft but what about the blade. Seems like the impeller has to turn and then your rope or seagrass or whatever else could foul the impeller. That is what happened to me on my 2012 SeaDoo Challenger 210. I got a major seagrass clog while idling through a little bayou on north bay. Without the clean out plugs I had to limp back to the trailer to clear the clog once out of the water.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Excellent points, Will. Maybe I should edit that part. These 2 owners I spoke to did not experience that problem in several years of ownership. In speaking to Chaparral people at the show, it comes across that not having clean out ports does not APPEAR today to be a deal breaker. I know time will tell. I was attempting top present the differences fairly. I almost included the fact that Chaparral does NOT have the full support of EXTENSIVE options, many/most all thanks to JetBoatPilot. But the list was already leaning so far to Yamaha, I left it off for now <wink>.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think that knowing what I know about jet boats and after owning 14 of them I would not buy a jet boat without the clean out plug system. This feature would be a make or break for me. Although I've not had to use my cleanout plugs but a handful of times, the thought of having a clog and then having to go swimming to clear it (not likely this would work and potentially dangerous) or take the boat back to the trailer, would discourage me from buying a jet boat at all. The cleanout plug system opens the door for me to consider all the other great things that we all love about our Yamaha boats.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think that knowing what I know about jet boats and after owning 14 of them I would not buy a jet boat without the clean out plug system. This feature would be a make or break for me. Although I've not had to use my cleanout plugs but a handful of times, the thought of having a clog and then having to go swimming to clear it (not likely this would work and potentially dangerous) or take the boat back to the trailer, would discourage me from buying a jet boat at all. The cleanout plug system opens the door for me to consider all the other great things that we all love about our Yamaha boats.
Thank you. I'll edit my post based on your extensive and significant experiences and knowledge.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for that write up, nicely done!!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, @Jim Robeson. I felt it was time to assemble this, particularly as people begin @ this time of the year to consider purchase options.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is always good to have options!!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Please note I have continued to update Items on this comparison. There have been several changes, corrections and updates made.
Please refer back to the list if you are making any decisions based on anything you may have read prior to Sunday noon, Jan 18th.
Some of the items are: Dual batteries, drink holders, sound system, pricing (see item #36). But changes will continue to be made as specifics are discovered.

PS - Pricing as noted was taken right from the Chaparral website as of 1-17-2015.

Best Wishes to all, Mike Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For me no clean out plugs is a deal breaker as well. I've had to use them on average twice a season and every time I was able to get the debris out that was stuck between the wear ring and an impeller blade. A shaft cover wouldn't have prevented those clogs.

The thought of someone swimming under a boat and sticking their hand into the intake grate sounds scary. It also sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I'm happy for the competition. For me Yamaha will keep my business for as long as I want a jetboat.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dealer had these two side by side at the Houston Boat Show. I did take a little peek. :)

Two things that likely should be added to the comparison:
1) The Vortex has a ski mode, where speed is maintained; Yamaha I believe still would require a Perfect Pass add-on to get that.
2) The anchor locker on the Vortex is more like the old AR240--you have to deploy the ladder to get to the anchor. The Yamaha has redesigned so that the anchor locker is aft the ladder and you do not need to deploy in order to get to your anchor.
3) Those hinged seats on the Yamaha... 'Nuff said.

All that said, very nice writeup, Mikey.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
UPDATE: You can read a fair amount of detail about this boat here !@
This was not yet available when this thread was started.
This is the COMPLETE test report from Boattrest.com !
Enjoy - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=3223

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will play devils advocate to some of the points made.

First, the Chaparral website does have build prices back up and running.

Some of the things on the boat design do make more sense to me. Like the batteries for example. I don't know how many times I have forgotten to turn the battery off before pulling the boat out of the water. The Chaparral switch location is very convenient to get to without having to jump back onto the boat once out of the water. Their covers also have a zipper that opens up just for that reason, for quick easy access.

I have gone and sat in both the Chaparral vortex boats as well as the Yamaha boats. Personally I like the overall look of the Chaparral better, however I feel like the fit and finish is better on the yamaha boats.

One of the things I agree with on the above comparison is BRP/Chaparral not giving two throttle controls. If I have two engines, I want two throttles. Simple as that.

Clean out ports: I can certainly see the appeal of these. I have never had a need for them to this point with my Sea-Doo but they would be nice to have just in case.

One thing that does concern me about the Yamaha with the Conext system is its lack of switches. It is getting too computer based, while that is cool in theory, in practice anyone who has used fully integrated systems like that knows that when one thing fails the who system can. For lights and basic functions I would prefer switches or at least some sort of back up. (There may be I just don't know about the setup yet). What happens if the head-unit itself dies?

So far from what I have seen on the water between the steering systems is that nothing is as maneuverable as the Sea-Doo / BRP system at idle speed. It is capable of rotating 360 degrees on its own axis in neutral without needing dual engines. It is a feature I will truly miss.

I am currently shopping for a new 21-24 foot boat. I am currently leaning toward the Yamaha boats for a few reasons.
Reason 1: Dual throttle control.
Reason 2: No expensive supercharger rebuilds. I have never understood why BRP couldn't come up with a more reliable supercharger system.
Reason 3: Best freaking swim platforms ever.
Reason 4: A lot of what is an option on the Chaparral is standard on the Yamaha

I'm not trying to bash the OP, but instead trying to offer some different perspective on some of the points.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice unbiased comments @PolarXJ but just to confirm my Yamaha turns on its axis 360 at idle too, as I'm sure twins too.
Just a quick note/point, some people have mentioned the reverse bucket, well yamaha do one the same, large and the nozzle turns within it, I have it on my FZR, but they choose not to fit it.

Last edited:

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
however I feel like the fit and finish is better on the yamaha boats.
I've heard this so much lately from customers who have gone and seen both.

A friend of mine just bought a new signature series chaparral and you would believe the fit and finish issues this thing has for a boat north of a 130k.

I'm not saying that Chaparral's have bad fit and finish but rather that Yamaha has good fit and finish.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
8. I have no idea about the noise factor, but no sales person told us how "good" it is on the Chaparrals. It was NOT even mentioned !
This <Noise Factors ...... or "Noise Reduction Improvements"> is unlike the new Yamaha 24 footers for 2015 !!!!
Per boattest.com the 2015 Yamaha at best Cruise speed of 27.8MPH produces 77dBA while the Chapparall best cruise speed is 25.4 MPH and produces 96dBA. That is a HUGE difference!!!! HUGE!!!

Decibel Wiki
Decibel Level Comparison Chart

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My question on the debris question is how BRP is eliminating the possibility of a clog just forward of the intake. I understand that a rope can't get wrapped around the shaft but what about the blade. Seems like the impeller has to turn and then your rope or seagrass or whatever else could foul the impeller. That is what happened to me on my 2012 SeaDoo Challenger 210. I got a major seagrass clog while idling through a little bayou on north bay. Without the clean out plugs I had to limp back to the trailer to clear the clog once out of the water.
I agree Will, I want to know the same thing. I am wondering if it employs a sleeve around the shaft to keep a rope from being twisted. Seems like a simple solution to be honest and not sure why it isn't incorporated into the Yamaha design. Even with the elimination of rope damage or clog, I still wouldn't want to be without the clean out ports. But I would like to see a sleeve to prevent a rope from wrapping the shaft...because we have had more than one major damage occur from this condition. I would even like to see a retrofit for this, but I doubt that would happen. As simple as it sounds, it would be a complete design change. Maybe a free spinning shaft sleeve with bearings that won't let it bind??? Just thinking out loud here.

dancathy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Something I find interesting are the horsepower claims. Rotax claims 500 hp for twin supercharged. Yamaha doesn't really
claim any power ratings but 360 for the twins is what is quoted by the dealers. You would think that a boat with 140 more
hp (almost a third engine) would be significantly faster. Yet the 242LS is quicker to plane, quicker to 30 and only 2 mph slower
on top end. Makes you wonder who is really closer to the real number.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@dancathy advertised HP ratings can be within I believe 20% of actual HP. Yamaha doesn't publish HP because they don't want to play that game and mislead people. The 360hp is what the mso from the factory says, which by law has to be accurate. I would like to see a BRP mso and see what the actual HP is.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree Will, I want to know the same thing. I am wondering if it employs a sleeve around the shaft to keep a rope from being twisted. Seems like a simple solution to be honest and not sure why it isn't incorporated into the Yamaha design. Even with the elimination of rope damage or clog, I still wouldn't want to be without the clean out ports. But I would like to see a sleeve to prevent a rope from wrapping the shaft...because we have had more than one major damage occur from this condition. I would even like to see a retrofit for this, but I doubt that would happen. As simple as it sounds, it would be a complete design change. Maybe a free spinning shaft sleeve with bearings that won't let it bind??? Just thinking out loud here.

I want to get my eyes on this sleeve as I'm having difficulty understand how the sleeve will help. Won't a rope simply get wrapped around the sleeve? If @txav8r is correct and it is a free floating sleeve, then perhaps that would help getting a rope back out. Sleeve or no sleeve....the suction is still there....so ropes are going in.....just what happens to them when they go in with a sleeve is what I'm trying to picture. And my mind has the impeller creating the most rotation...and thus the most wrapping action....not the smooth shaft.....